Pro-civilian bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
    We're just restating our opinions at this point. I think it's safe to say we can agree to disagree and get on with our lives

Now, of only certain characters could do the same...
    True, but the fact remains that civilian authority is better. We'll see if the Destiny crew learns this eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
      True, but the fact remains that civilian authority is better. We'll see if the Destiny crew learns this eventually.
      Sounds more like an opinion to me
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Me too...

Comment

An opinion backed up with the weight of history behind it... while contrary opinions still have no evidence. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
            They had orders to keep regular tabs and if there's no contact for some time then they would dial the gate and contact the team on radio.
            Ok, so what then? Greer just decided to shoot him? I still think it was for the best of everyone involved. I'd rather be shot in the arm than dead or stranded, wouldn't you?

Comment

An opinion backed up with the weight of history behind it... while contrary opinions still have no evidence. =)
              Not really. I have yet to find any of your examples indicative where any kind of dictarship is accpeatable. Be they military or civilian
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Sigh... I don't disagree with you on this necessarily. I just don't think there are any civilians aboard Destiny who are up to the job. When Wray was in charge, she cut down the security detail on an offworld mission and generally didn't treat the military personnel all that great. Because they're soldiers does that mean they have less rights than the scientists?

Comment

Not really. I have yet to find any of your examples indicative where any kind of dictarship is accpeatable. Be they military or civilian
                  Because you keep trying to bring up that strawman. Nowhere did I ever talk about a civilian dictatorship as a viable option. Please stop bringing this up, because while it's fun to smack down an argument I'm not making, you're really not helping your point.

What I have said, and please pay attention this time, is: the best and most free governments in this world have the military under civilian authority. Not dictatorship of ANY kind.

Edit:
                  Sigh... I don't disagree with you on this necessarily. I just don't think there are any civilians aboard Destiny who are up to the job. When Wray was in charge, she cut down the security detail on an offworld mission and generally didn't treat the military personnel all that great. Because they're soldiers does that mean they have less rights than the scientists?
                  There's a bit thing you get with civilian authority, that you don't get with military: elections. Regardless of who you think its better, there's a very good reason why military is under the control of civilians, and it's not just elections.

Comment

Because you keep trying to bring up that strawman. Nowhere did I ever talk about a civilian dictatorship as a viable option. Please stop bringing this up, because while it's fun to smack down an argument I'm not making, you're really not helping your point.

What I have said, and please pay attention this time, is: the best and most free governments in this world have the military under civilian authority. Not dictatorship of ANY kind.
                    Whose authority and to what extent does that authority go though? Rush and Wray didn't seem to be putting things to vote in a committee. Likely it would be Wray in charge with Rush allowed to do as he pleases.

Comment

I'll say what I want. If you don't like it the ignore or report button are right.

With such a small group a military under civiliab authority would cause frictiion. In most societies the civilians greatly outnumber the military. Its pretty even if not more military on the Desting. The best kind of government would be some of kind joint cooperation. Don't ask me how it should be organized because I don't know
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

The best kind of government would be some of kind joint cooperation.
                        This.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
                          This.
                          Agreed 100% if they can get it to work. Unfortunately, the military personnel generally don't understand civilians and vice versa it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinMR223 View Post
                            ....The HUGE problem here is that the civilians did a Coup D'Etat. Civilian Command is possible and probably would work better in the long run but that has to be established and developed, a constitution with rules and laws and a president is necessary. And you DO NOT get to that level by force....]
                            American Revolutionary War - April 19, 1775 – September 3, 1783

United Sates Constitution - Created September 17, 1787, Ratified June 21, 1788

Notice which came first.

Comment

Whose authority and to what extent does that authority go though? Rush and Wray didn't seem to be putting things to vote in a committee. Likely it would be Wray in charge with Rush allowed to do as he pleases.
                              TJ kinda said: Majority vote. Which means Elections. Probably not in an official capacity, but in such a way that everyone feels their voice is being heard. That everyone has rights and responsibilities, and is being fairly treated. None of which you get in a military dictatorship, by the way. But you can say this, from your comfy chair, in your warm house, in front of a computer that is all made possible by a civilian government that controls the military.

If you wish to back up your argument, then please tell us what military dictatorship you'd like to live under. I'll give you your choice of the ones currently in progress around the world:

Burma
                              Fiji
                              Guinea
                              Libya
                              North Korea

Go ahead, make your pick. I suggest the last one, although the majority of people don't have internet access. Or electricity for that matter. The military dictatorship government has plenty of both, though!

{mod snip}
                              Last edited by TameFarrar; 10 April 2010, 03:51 PM. Reason: respect fellow members

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                                I really don't get where this idea comes from that the people working on Icarus were under military command. Have we seen any evidence at all that it wasn't a scientific project with military protection and support? Like Atlantis? Where has it ever been said that the military were in charge before the evacuation?
                                Young was Icarus Base commander. Telford was supposed to lead the away team through the gate to Destiny. Rush is leading scientist on the ninth-chevron project and was supposed to be lead scientist on the away-team as well, but Telford had him removed at little while before the events of Air, pt.1. Wray was the human resources consultant. I don't think anyone of these four was actually in charge of one of the other, and that makes it a difficult situation. There was conflict even before they got to Destiny, where it only escalated. Solution seems simple to me, though.
                                A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Working...
                                X