Some of the Military Shocked me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
    To be honest i think both the military and the civilians need to stop being idiots and frikin' work together instead of biteing eachother while under atack form 3 alien ships....its beyond me how stupid this episode was writen.
    Ummm...Yes, I totally agree that it is beyond you. They were not under attack when the rebellion began. In fact, aside from Rush and Chloe, everyone thought they had gotten rid of the alien problem. Which is why they focused on their own bickering. The aliens attacked when the military was in the process of taking back control. And everything then played out in a logical manner from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
      Total agreement with above.

I enjoy Rush. He's dynamic and polarizing. But that ****-eating grin in the Pilot when Young confronted him about not dialing the Alpha Site and instead taking his chance to reach Destiny. Condemning everyone Civies and Military alike in their situation. Marks him as the last guy to trust and first guy to shoot if you had to.

That being said , the show would be twenty to twentyfive percent less awesome without him.

As for James, since her last scene in Space I get the feeling she is on an emotional razor edge. The Military are her family now. Out in the big black all alone they depend on her and she them. And woe to anyone who threatens to take that from her.

As for Greer he do what he do. He's practical, and focused. See threat, end threat. He may be a very likable fellow but you threaten the pack or the Alpha-Wolf he will rip out your threat. He's a good Beta that way.

I just find it surprising the civilian forgot all about the reason why they are stuck on the Destiny far from their family in the first place. Just a couple weeks after the incident. I don't suggest to lock up Rush since he's important for the show and he does have indispensable scientific knowledge (at least its the premise of the show). Its more the reaction of the civilians which I find illogical. If anything I thought people would get more angry at him at the same time than their hope to ever returning to earth is diminishing.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
        I just find it surprising the civilian forgot all about the reason why they are stuck on the Destiny far from their family in the first place. Just a couple weeks after the incident. I don't suggest to lock up Rush since he's important for the show and he does have indispensable scientific knowledge (at least its the premise of the show). Its more the reaction of the civilians which I find illogical. If anything I thought people would get more angry at him at the same time than the hope to returning to earth is diminishing.
        They're stuck here, so it's in the past. I'd probably move past it, too, when there are much bigger issues to worry about.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
          I just find it surprising the civilian forgot all about the reason why they are stuck on the Destiny far from their family in the first place. Just a couple weeks after the incident. I don't suggest to lock up Rush since he's important for the show and he does have indispensable scientific knowledge (at least its the premise of the show). Its more the reaction of the civilians which I find illogical. If anything I thought people would get more angry at him at the same time than their hope to ever returning to earth is diminishing.
          Totally agree. Have some green.

I'm still puzzled as to why Stargate Program personnel would be chafing under military command from day one. This is how it was on Icarus base, so why would it be different on Destiny? Don't like food and water rationing? TOUGH, it applies to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by dacooker View Post
            Ya you could say the military was shocking. They let untrained, power hungry, whining civilians take control of the ship and put all their lives in jeopardy. I wish Greer gave each of them the butt end of his rifle.

I mean what type of tool thinks a civilian should lead the expedition like a government, when it's a military operation to begin with.
            I'm hoping that's sarcasm. If not, see Stargate Atlantis for a sort of dual leadership.
            Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
            That is exactly what they were. Actually seeing the military in real life...and that's pretty much how they act. Not really impressive.
            US Military maybe, but they're not the only miltary out there.

I was slightly disgusted with the episode. The military did what they had to but, James' "tap" (as one poster put it earlier) was a full throttle breaking-nose punch. That's going overboard.

And no, the police wouldn't do such behaviour unless it was a violent protester at something like the G20. If they beat up a civilian, it would be blaring all over the headlines and they'd be put in court or something like that. So the police comparisons are actually pretty stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post

I'm still puzzled as to why Stargate Program personnel would be chafing under military command from day one. This is how it was on Icarus base, so why would it be different on Destiny? Don't like food and water rationing? TOUGH, it applies to everyone.
              I suspect there is alot of people like Cavanaugh (pony tail guy) from sgu, chafing under the military. We just never saw them on other shows, they just got fired or transferred.

Comment

I don't understand why the Military just didn't give up all there guns. they could have owned all the civilians without them lol.
                But on a serious note. I think when a group of people you have been on the ship with go rouge on you. and then lock you off from important parts of the ship. and finally threaten to starve you to death if you don't hand over your weapons.... yeaaa I think the military's actions were perfectly justified. I would be angry also.
                Yes I think that one lady (whoever she is) hitting that civilian in the face with the butt of here gun was a little unnecessary. but nothing is clean in this kinda situation.
                Really what were the civilians even planning on doing. what there just going to go on foreign planets without weapons? I think the Civilians made a big mistake. they now made an even weaker relationship with the Military personnel when really they all need to be working together.
                I am really on Colonel Young's side now.

Comment

Civilians (and low level and low quality military personnel it must be said), often sign up to something expecting a easy ride and not expecting that the small print will ever happen. They start winging when it does.

Comment

millitary is better. one leader is better. though i think Wray will eventually be given control of the day-to-day aspect while the Millitary deals with the gate travel and exploration.

Divided showed that the civvies were ignorant. the Millitary aren't the wrong people, the civvies ARE

Comment

I found myself thinking the same thing, and I always thought of myself as being on the military's "side." The way they went about things though was all wrong.
                      I thnk that was the producers goal here. TO make us think/feel that the civs were right in doiong what they did, so they just helped by painting some of the military in a bad light.

The civilians should impose work to rule from this point forward. When the ships systems start malfunctioning, they should just tell Greer and James to bash it with the butts of their guns until it's fixed.
                      Part of me was actually hoping one of the civvies said just as much to Young..

And yes, the military is taking things too far. But the citizens acted incorrectly. This was wrong timing, this was the wrong way to do things. I don't know what was right, maybe there was no right way, but now things will be worse.
                      Prob is when would things have been right?

Should have cut the whole mutiny off at its head by putting a bullet into Wray's brain, in front of the other civilians. Would have removed the main instigator of the mutiny and would have scared the rest of the civilians into line.
                      Going that far imo would have made them MORE rebellious as it would have marytered Wray. Plus once the IOA learned of it, there would have been hell to pay back on earth.

I agree. I was hoping that the civilians would just stay where they were instead of going to their rooms when Young ordered them to. Sort of as an act of non-violent protest against the military attitude.
                      I was also surprised they just gave in and went. I would have rather liked seeing one or two stand up and say "NO".

Just to add, do certain people here have slight memory problems or are they just new to Stargate? Because the military being shown as less than perfect is nothing new to stargate, SG1 and SGA both had officers who screwed up, made mistakes, walked all over civilians without comprise or discussion and in the case of Colonel Maybourne, Simmons, Makepeace and a few others several were shown to be downright treasonous.
                      Remembering one of my favorite lines from SGA season 1, when McCay is ranting on about being left out of that meeting when Col Everett showed up
                      "they always leave the scientists out of it, until they NEED the scientists"...

If the police came in my room and told me to get on the ground and I walked toward one of them I'd expect to get the crap beaten out of me.
                      Or shot. Off topic, we had a case here in ocean springs last year (iirc) where a cop shot a guy in his own kitchen cause he was carving up dinner.

Maybe because the base was a MILITARY base.. BUT i fully agree with what Wray said. Every country which has a military that is not a dictatorship, has that military controlled by the civilians in charge.

Comment

I felt that for one of the first times in the show I really connected with Greer when he approached Young with his support. It seems like the most logical thing he has done so far. He realizes the threat Rush poses, and wants to make it clear to Young that he will support him regardless of what he feels about Young allegedly stranding Rush.
                        Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Confessor,

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
                          I felt that for one of the first times in the show I really connected with Greer when he approached Young with his support. It seems like the most logical thing he has done so far. He realizes the threat Rush poses, and wants to make it clear to Young that he will support him regardless of what he feels about Young allegedly stranding Rush.
                          What about the threat Young poses? Young is a great commander as long as he's calm. Get him angry and he beats people or leaves them to die on other worlds. In a situation like the one they are dealing with they need someone who stays calm at all times. Young has shown his inability to control his temper several times now.
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

The fact is, the current structure is a dictatorship. With meatheads such as Greer as the musclemen, it was time for civilians to take control. Honestly, You is a poor leader who pretty much shows he cannot handle tense situations.

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                              The fact is, the current structure is a dictatorship. With meatheads such as Greer as the musclemen, it was time for civilians to take control. Honestly, You is a poor leader who pretty much shows he cannot handle tense situations.
                              So how would a civilian in charge be any less of a dictatorship? They're in a dangerous situation, you can't have committees, a democracy at a time when snap decisions are made, you have Wray in charge now she's the dictator, and she can hand the guns out to however she favours and use them as her muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                                So how would a civilian in charge be any less of a dictatorship? They're in a dangerous situation, you can't have committees, a democracy at a time when snap decisions are made, you have Wray in charge now she's the dictator, and she can hand the guns out to however she favours and use them as her muscle.
                                I think that Young is far better suited for command despite his tendency to react extremely. I feel that Rush is far more of a threat than Young by far. He does not even want to return, he is the reason they are all there, and he will take every opportunity to advance his scientific objectives over the objective of returning home. He is manipulative and deceitful. Wray is simply a power monger who can't see past her immediate desire for power. Maybe she is motivated by a genuine desire for a normal civilian-military relationship, but the reality of the situation makes Young's command the more logical one, at least from my eyes.
                                Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Working...
                                X