This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
    The fact that TJ didnt join the Civilians made me sad. That didn't seem like her to me. And I thought Scott would sympathize, but when he found Chloe he gave her a look and turned his back.

Go civilians.
    i've always seen TJ on the military's side. long before this ep.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by creed462 View Post
      That and in their situation the military is their best chance for survival.
      In this cause the choices Young wanted were wrong. If they wasted the power on firing weapons they would not have had any to go into FTL & they all would have been dead. Military as these episodes are showing are not always the best strategy. So far Young has been a ****ty leader

Comment

I think the military guys would rather be left on some random planet & as long as Young is in command they would be okay with that

Comment

Just wanted to say something in regard to the military and civilian aspect of the episode.

While yes, it is true, that in modern society a military should take orders from a civilian leadership.

The problem is, which I think is this case, its like handing a loaded gun to an untrained user. They may be old enough to have it, but that doesn't mean they know how to operate it safely.

Look at SGA for example, Weir had command of the expedition and the military followed her orders - although in that situation, ever person there was trained, skilled, and good at what they did. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, every time a problem occurred, the military stepped in and that was it, until the threat was dealt with. Bottom line, they should both work together, but this puts more of a strain on the civilian leadership because its there responsibility to be able to effectively manage the military by understanding its capabilities and needs to do certain things a certain way. A military officer doesn't need to know how politics work to cooperate with the military, but politicians needs to know how the military does things in order to avoid unneccessary collateral damage.

The ultimate irony though, is that the people on board the Destiny are in the position they are in because of a civilian; Rush. Had everyone listened to the military in the first place, and dialed Earth, there would of been no problem except that they never would of went to Destiny. And ever since then, every time a civilian tries to grab power because they feel they should be in control, things get messed up.

They need to realize that they are still evading from an enemy attack. The attack at Icarus, was only the beginning - that was the escape. Theirs a reason why certain military jobs are taught SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape). Until they get home, they are still evading, and no amount of politics are going to help anyone except for the politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
            I think the military guys would rather be left on some random planet & as long as Young is in command they would be okay with that
            Not a chance. If that was the case, they would have done so already. Then again, the preview for next week's episode showed them
            Spoiler:
            on a supposedly paradise planet
            so maybe that theory will be tested.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
              This was actually the first episode that really got my interest. Let's see... well, the distrust is going to linger like a blood stain on a white rug. Basically, the whole mess is a power/ego struggle between Young and Rush, and everybody else gets dragged along for the ride.
              • Chloe and Scott? Well, I guess they'll be back to separate rooms.
              • Lt. James? No civilian is going to trust her again.
              • Rush? I can agree with his reasoning, to a point, as yeah, Young would have deep-sixed him out an airlock.
              • Amazingly, the stones were finally used properly! And I was happy to see Alisen Down (Dr. Brightman, SG1 "Lockdown") appear.
              • Eli? Man, talk about being left out in the cold...
              • I liked the music (not the song, nah, not my cup of tea) used in the beginning... I've heard something very similiar, but can't place where.
              • Young's a putz. Sorry, but he's far too quick to pull the trigger.

The alien spacecraft still remind me of Cylon toasters...

Overall, pretty good!
              young is not only quick with the trigger (most "real" military types are), but (like in rush says in "space": The colonel is DANGEROUS - how this guy (cheating, adultering, law ignoring (UCMJ), betraying, doublecrossing, choleric, dumb thug without any braincells left to speak of (the one he has has multiple personality dissorder!)) got through psych evaluation is beyond me! (even more: how this ass*ole can take a nice woman like TJ for himself (and "corrupt" her)?....somehow hot girls often fly for idiots....strange, that is)

as for the episode: normally i am on the side of the military (didn't like weier in SG-1/SGA - and Wolsey was not my cup of tea either (also i like the actor very much)) but in this i am pro civillian (even more so as it's the civillians who have most of the technological knowledge of the ship on their side (Rush!) - without them destiny would have already been boarded in "space") because civilian like (also i am one) talking, debating and such is not mine (i'd rather act - fast and decisive!)...weir couldn't do that IMHO and wolsey couldn't either (rush on the other hand can - i am sure of it so yes, i have switched sides for SGU even more so as i don't like a single person from the "platoon" they have tagging along on the ship

as for the rest of the military "crew"? - one of them is as bad as young (that sergeant that was in jail in Episode one for beating a superiour), the other (scott i think - well the one that sleeps with chloe (by - IMHO - taking advantage of her being emotionally down and alone (she is the only one that has no "function" on the ship...more or less saying: she is useless and does feel that, too!)) is a follower (he always does what young says - only once he does something else as he tries to save his "entertainment" (chloe)) and he is selfish (and i would go as far as predicting: he is a turncoat - if the civilians succede he will turn tail!)

well back to the episode: just wanted to say that i think the civialians cause is just and right (and that the military "leaders" they have are not worth s*it - so it is no wonder that they are looking for "new management"

greetings LAX
              ps: @halzman: don't they say in the first episode that they CAN'T dial earth with that stargate (as it has been wired into the planets core (for energy) and changed (in order to be able to dial destiny in the first place)?
              pps: as for yoshi something (sorry) - saying that in SGA they needed "FAKE" tension...sorry buddy, it is just a fact that for missions like that one sends the best (people that only have "minor" imperfections) and not the crew from the next SOAP-OPERA (like happening here - with a few "good" characters being left: rush, eli, chloe, that IOA chick...and maybe (also siding with young got me upset) TJ - yes, most of them have flaws (rush is a mckay gone bad (and a little less genius (also he does not have mckays tools - would like to see mckay without his lab stuff ))), eli is a nerd (online gaming!) so that is his flaw, chloe? - has no real function (and does not, say ask eli to teach her things so that she has something to do beside *****ing around), TJ - well let's idiots have her like a cheap harlot (flaw found) but otherwise is pretty likeable
              as for saying SGA people do not have flaws: i could give you a flaw for anyone of them (even sheppard and weier)
              ppps: yes! - they should vote for something like: MAYOR of the Destiny! (military excluded - except if they stepp down (or if voted in - in a fair vote - with a large majority))
              Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 09 April 2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
                Not a chance. If that was the case, they would have done so already. Then again, the preview for next week's episode showed them
                Spoiler:
                on a supposedly paradise planet
                so maybe that theory will be tested.
                Well so far all of the planets they have been to were not very life friendly. Once even Greer gets annoyed of the Civilians he would rather pick a planet & stay on it I bet

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
                  The fact that TJ didnt join the Civilians made me sad. That didn't seem like her to me. And I thought Scott would sympathize, but when he found Chloe he gave her a look and turned his back.

Go civilians.
                  Yeah I thought she was going to join the civilians too even if she was military before.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                    young is not only quick with the trigger (most "real" military types are), but (like in rush says in "space": The colonel is DANGEROUS - how this guy (cheating, adultering, law ignoring (UCMJ), betraying, doublecrossing, choleric, dumb thug without any braincells left to speak of (the one he has has multiple personality dissorder!))

how this guy got through psych evaluation is beyond me! (even more: how this ass*ole can take a nice woman like TJ for himself?....somehow hot girls often fly for idiots....strange, that is)

as for the episode: normally i am on the side of the military (didn't like weier in SG-1/SGA - and Wolsey was not my cup of tea either (also i like the actor very much)) but in this i am pro civillian (even more so as it's the civillians who have most of the technological knowledge of the ship on their side (Rush!) - without them destiny would have already been boarded in "space") because civilian like (also i am one) talking, debating and such is not mine (i'd rather act - fast and decisive!)...weir couldn't do that IMHO and wolsey couldn't either (rush on the other hand can - i am sure of it so yes, i have switched sides for SGU even more so as i don't like a single person from the "platoon" they have tagging along on the ship

as for the rest of the military "crew"? - one of them is as bad as young (that sergeant that was in jail in Episode one for beating a superiour), the other (scott i think - well the one that sleeps with chloe (by - IMHO - taking advantage of her being emotionally down and alone (she is the only one that has no "function" on the ship...more or less saying: she is useless and does feel that, too!)) is a follower (he always does what young says - only once he does something else as he tries to save his "entertainment" (chloe)) and he is selfish (and i would go as far as predicting: he is a turncoat - if the civilians succede he will turn tail!)

well back to the episode: just wanted to say that i think the civialians cause is just and right (and that the military "leaders" they have are not worth s*it - so it is no wonder that they are looking for "new management"

greetings LAX
                    I find it hard to believe that Young looked up to Jack O'Neill. If they ever make it home I want Young discharged & not honorably

Comment

Very foolish move on the civilian front. They need decisive leadership, Young has proven that. Wray proved once again that she doesn't need to be in command any one who cares more about power then peoples lives should not lead. Now Rush is difficult he had very important knowledge and until Eli is up to speed, they need him but can not trust him. Young does have an anger problem, he is aware up it so he may keep it in check, but still an issue, the situation is interesting.
                      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                        I find it hard to believe that Young looked up to Jack O'Neill. If they ever make it home I want Young discharged & not honorably
                        he's commanding a group of people who didn't ask to be put into this amazing situation. what else can he do. the military is on his sides. the civians whine about how tough things are but also forget who put them there. cause it wasn't young.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          he's commanding a group of people who didn't ask to be put into this amazing situation. what else can he do. the military is on his sides. the civians whine about how tough things are but also forget who put them there. cause it wasn't young.
                          Military or not Young is doing nothing but showing why he should not be in charge. If that ship did not know to recharge by itself it would have exploded soon after they boarded or something like that. Military or not NONE of the military of the civilians are fit to lead these people especially Young

Comment

I'm on the civilian's side, Young should not have left Rush out to die 1) it is not the stargate way, 2) Eventually they would run into trouble and Rush wouldn't be there to get them out!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              [LIST][*]Chloe and Scott? Well, I guess they'll be back to separate rooms.
                              I am looking forward to seeing how that plays out, though I doubt it will end with Chloe getting with Eli. At least not for another season for two.

@SupremeLegate
                              Apogee Institute
                              Council

Congito, ergo sum - congito

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                                I'm on the civilian's side, Young should not have left Rush out to die 1) it is not the stargate way, 2) Eventually they would run into trouble and Rush wouldn't be there to get them out!
                                rush framed young for murder. would you just look the other way if you were in young's shoes.>?

Comment

Working...
                                X