Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missmobius View Post

Last thing we need is for SGU to turn into one of those shallow teen dramas that are all about sex and the latest non-hit so called song.
    I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about here.

Then again, I don't suppose I do either, since I don't know what TPTB's intentions were. All I know is, as someone who used to make music videos using clips from the shows I loved (including the SG series), setting a scene to a contemporary song is a lot deeper than you're giving it credit for.

Depending on the song, the lyrics and melodies can be of great meaning. If that is coupled with a meaningful scene, and the edit is just right, it can produce a very powerful scene (i.e. "How to Save a Life" from My Lunch, Scrubs; "Solitary Man" from Vegas, SGA; "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" from Unending, SG1).

It's all about teasing emotions out of your viewers; if a contemporary song works for that, then I'm all for putting it in. For Air III, I thought the last 10 minutes were utterly brilliant. The music went from the high-octane, tension-filled Goldsmith score to the mellow, relieving "Breathe" by Alexi Murdoch. If you listened to the lyrics, then you know that it had a double meaning. Yes, there is the part about the air and breathing and life support system working and stuff like that, but it's also about "keep your head above water, but don't forget to breathe" - i.e. no matter how screwed up your situation is, and how much effort you put into survival, always take a time out to calm down and relax, even if it's just for a bit.

Personally, I think that may set the tone for all of SGU. Hell, it's pretty much the basis of all of Stargate.

It may help if one saw the lyrics:

http://www.absolutelyrics.com/lyrics...rdoch/breathe/

I don't know why people are suddenly complaining that this was an un-Stargate move. How many times have we've been told that SGU was different? As far as I'm concerned, all instances of "this isn't like Classic Stargate" should be met with a "Well duh."

I wonder how much more powerful that song would've been if I had watched all 3 parts of Air and, after all that chaos and confusion, the 3 hours ended with that. I think it would've been grand.

I gotta look into that. Meanwhile...time to get that song!

Comment

I enjoyed that choice of music very much. My only complaint is that it did come off slightly loud while Chloe and Scott were talking, but I liked its placement with the monatage and the ending fade out showing that ship taking off was awesome. It was like "don't forget to breathe" took on a "don't get too relaxed" vibe at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

I wonder how much more powerful that song would've been if I had watched all 3 parts of Air and, after all that chaos and confusion, the 3 hours ended with that. I think it would've been grand.

I gotta look into that. Meanwhile...time to get that song!
        well...you could go to the canadian version of Sci fi website and watch all 3 parts at once...that is if you have 3 hours of free time.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the first part of that is not a problem; I can watch 'em any time I want.

The second part...that's another story.

Comment

I loved the music throughout, especially "Breath" at the end...worked perfect with the impact they were going for.
            sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed the song but agree, only in Moderation. And only if done well.

Comment

i loved that song, i even downloaded it and its in my Stargate Universe Music Folder...and its gonna stay there, ITS ON SGU, GET OVER IT!

Comment

I didn't mind it. It just wasn't placed well.
                  lyrical music should be placed at moments of great emotion...not...a smallvile music plug at the end of every episode.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                    I enjoyed that choice of music very much. My only complaint is that it did come off slightly loud while Chloe and Scott were talking, but I liked its placement with the monatage and the ending fade out showing that ship taking off was awesome. It was like "don't forget to breathe" took on a "don't get too relaxed" vibe at the end.

Good point then it should have been in Air.
                    Last edited by Saquist; 22 October 2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

As soon as the episode was over, I began to search for the song so I could buy whatever album it came from. It took a bit of time, but I found it, put it on my Amazon wish list, and have replayed the final minutes of that episode over and over and over, just to hear it and see how perfectly it meshes with the video.

Since then, I discovered a video of the song using the episode film. I forget the artist's name.....it's on my wish list, which I can't get to at the moment, darn.

But I absolutely adored it and hope to see more use of contemporary music like that. I have bought many albums based on a song from the end of a show's episode.....Mazzy Star from "Canterbury Law," Snow Patrol from either "Bones" or "House."

As for the soundtrack resembling the music from "Firefly," that's a huge plus for me. The opening title music for that show was a huge draw for me the first time I watched the pilot episode. I think that sort of mournful "Newgrass" sound fits sci-fi programming very well.

Comment

if it hasn't been said, I LOVED the music when they were scrambling for the gate. It had a bit of that Vangelis and MIchael Stearns sound that I love. I guess I just miss the old electronic sounds of the 80's & 90's

Comment

i also like gravity by embassy played on the SGU trailer

Comment

I thought the song jarred badly. It's unnecessary and adds nothing to the understanding of the episode.

Comment

I really liked the song. It heightened my emotions during that part, was well chosen and not at all negative I think. It was good
                              "Wøøf!"

Comment

It was a good choice for the scene.

Sure, it was a shock to us long-time SG fans. But we've been told SGU is diff to SG1 & SGA.

It suited the scenes- though a little distracting when Scott was saying such emotionally heavy stuff to Chloe. (my sis was like "*rolls eyes* they're going to get together". She even rolled her eyes at the ad for 'Light'.
                                BUT WE'LL NEVER SEE THAT EP BECAUSE IT'S BEEN PULLED FROM FTA AUSTRALIA! (apparently ratings are low- SGU & Supernatural have been shunted.)

Spoiler:

All Sigs Made By Me.

Comment

Working...
                                X