Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmylad89 View Post
    yeah but in most teen dramas after a sad event they play depressing music which in my opinion shudnt be used in the SG franchise, drama or not and i didnt call SGU a teen drama, i just dnt like the way they used teen drama technique in the end. also i note that it is Sci-fi.
    I still can't get around the thought that it was depressing...I felt good at the end. And I took a nice deep breath of air.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
      I know what you mean...the music gave it the final shove into "teen soap land" for me!
      Thank you someone who gets me, i dnt no you but uve made legend status
      sigpic
      First time using GIMP2 can't say its not a bad job
      MGM, Sci-Fi Channel and the Creators are

I'll only watch SGU coz theres nowt to do on tuesday nites.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        I still can't get around the thought that it was depressing...I felt good at the end. And I took a nice deep breath of air.
        well you clearly got a different vibe off the ending to me then
        sigpic
        First time using GIMP2 can't say its not a bad job
        MGM, Sci-Fi Channel and the Creators are

I'll only watch SGU coz theres nowt to do on tuesday nites.

Comment

well you clearly got a different vibe off the ending to me then
          They made it back alive and got the air filters working and such. Other than the two nitwits wandering off to the wrong planet, every one was safe and for the moment they could all, literally, breath easier.

Other than the foreshadowing of the little ship detaching, then ending was pretty cathartic and the music played well into the mood
          If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
          Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
            Warehouse 13 used a couple of songs at the end of episodes extremely well.
            Southland, which was a very promising cop show, used songs at the end of an episode no less than three times. They all worked very well too.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              This is teen drama? really? Have you seen teen drama?
              Watch NCIS, you can tell I am a big fan of it.
              Firefly, SGU's model
              The Closer, great detective show
              Scrubs, Silly comedy plus drama
              Tyler Perry's house of Payne, Great sitcom

I actually felt that the song was uplifting, I mean it was a happy ending.
              you can add CSI to that last, they used real life songs in situations like that well.
              And it was both sad...and uplifting...I thought it was a ver fitting song for the subject of the episode...though something I would not be hunting on my own.

Comment

What the hell was that crappy song at the end all about? Come on i know SGU is more drama based but its Not One tree Hill or The O.C.

Just to Add the song wasnt crap (bit depressing) but it shudnt have been there also im a fan of both OTH and O.C.

Plz no more of this teen drama crap, if i want it ill watch OTH.

Its Sci-fi after all.
                I have to agree, the vocal song at the end just made it feel more and more distant from the previous Stargate shows. Heck the one song that Teyla sung in Atlantis felt pretty weird too, sadly though it seems SGU will have a lot more vocal songs.

Comment

To be honest I didn't really like the song at the end either.

Comment

I dont know I kind of liked it!
                    It was a bit cheesey but it got the message accross.
                    relief but still forbidding! They are not out of the woods yet!

Comment

What the hell was that crappy song at the end all about? Come on i know SGU is more drama based but its Not One tree Hill or The O.C.

Just to Add the song wasnt crap (bit depressing) but it shudnt have been there also im a fan of both OTH and O.C.

Plz no more of this teen drama crap, if i want it ill watch OTH.

Its Sci-fi after all.
                      A show does not need to be teen drama just because they use some contemporary songs.

Was Unending a teen drama episode just because they used the song "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" in it?

Was Vegas a teen drama just because they used a couple of contemporary songs in it?

No.

Teen dramas are shows where most of the main characters are teenagers. This not the case with SGU. The youngest characters (Eli & Chloe) are both in their 20s.

And I kind of liked the song. It's just a song, what's the big deal!?
                      Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 14 October 2009, 01:41 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

i didn't mind it, i didn't like the song much but it did fit well with the ending in both mood/tone and lyrics.
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

We have no evidence that every episode is going to have a contemporary song.

Comment

Good, Kinda reminds me of Smallville a little though.

Comment

Originally posted by Specter177 View Post
                              We have no evidence that every episode is going to have a contemporary song.

Hopefully, it won't.
                              Joel's orchestral work is so beautiful, I'd much rather be treated to hearing that if music is needed than contemporary Grey's Anatomy-esque songs.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                                Hopefully, it won't.
                                Joel's orchestral work is so beautiful, I'd much rather be treated to hearing that if music is needed than contemporary Grey's Anatomy-esque songs.
                                According to the interview GateWorld did with Joel recently:
                                http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...l_themes.shtml

Joel Goldsmith: Rob [Cooper] and Brad [Wright] were specific in that they wanted a combination of electronic and organic elements for the show. And they specifically mentioned piano and guitar which I have utilized in the series quite a bit.

With a couple of exceptions, I’m not using any traditional woodwinds and I’m using less traditional brass than I have for previous shows. Instead I’m using ethnic winds, and electronic, Vangelis-type brass. Otherwise, I've been using strings, guitar, piano and various other electronic sounds.

We talked about it being a dark score because the show is fairly dark, but we’ve been trying to keep kind of an open beauty to it. We've tried to be very aesthetic as well as being dark and I think that's important. I think that I've also kind of been playing on the loneliness of their isolation.
                                Not that that really answers your question, or your hope, but there it is nonetheless.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                                X