This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    Hey, Spoilers dude. There is a first time viewer in this thread.
    Erm, the main forum description does say beware of spoilers, that goes with the territory. There is a warning that there may be spoilers so don't have a go at me for posting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
      Eli is not smarter than Rush. He may have different ideas for solving problems than Rush but that doesn't make him smarter. Rush did after all crack the code that Eli couldn't.
      Rush couldn't crack the 9th chevron while Eli could.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Erm, the main forum description does say beware of spoilers, that goes with the territory. There is a warning that there may be spoilers so don't have a go at me for posting them.
        Yeah, but you dont write spoilers in a first time viewing-thread and Snowman asked not to be spoiled, so at least we can try not to.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Rush couldn't crack the 9th chevron while Eli could.
          No, he took a guess at the 9th chevron symbol. A guess.

Comment

A complex mathmatical proof is more than a guess. To solve something the brighest of Stargate Command couldn't solve is more than just a guess
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              A complex mathmatical proof is more than a guess. To solve something the brighest of Stargate Command couldn't solve is more than just a guess
              I was talking Chevron. The gate wouldn't dial using its own point of origin. Eli guessed that. As for the brightest of the SGC, I'd put my money on Rodney McKay but even he gets things wrong. As for being smarter than Rush, you don't see Eli writing all over destinys corridors do you.

The complex proof isn't 100% either. For all we know, Rush may have stumbled onto it before but discounted it because the gate wouldn't dial using the planets own point of origin. They had never thought of using earths until Eli suggested it.

I'm not denying he's smart, all I'm saying is that I don't think he's smarter than rush. I'd put them on an even keel to be honest. Both distrust each other and always look to disprove the others theory and they both compete to keep Young happy.

Comment

I loved Light. The first 3/4's of the episode are pretty poor, but the big 'twist' totally made me forget that. I guess you have to be invested in the universe the story is being told in to appreciate the mix of 'slow and fast' that these episodes bring. SG-1 had some slow eps but you stayed glued to it out of curiosity of the characters and worlds being portrayed... At least, I did.

For season 1 of SGU, my two favourite eps are;

Light - if only for the sciencey stuff with Destiny's power systems
                Time - Classic Stargate with a focus on the gate itself

To be honest, I wouldn't call many of the other eps interesting. There's a LOT of filler eps that are 99% waffle and 1% juicy exposition. You either like it or you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Sobek- View Post
                  but you stayed glued to it out of curiosity

You either like it or you don't!
                  A lot didn't stay glued to it because it was very boring. I love Stargate and I love SGU but I can't deny it's utterly boring in many episodes either. I'll watch it just for the sake of it but it IS boring in so many episodes that I can't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sobek- View Post
                    SG-1 had some slow eps but you stayed glued to it out of curiosity of the characters and worlds being portrayed... At least, I did.
                    I feel you, one that stood out was that episode that had a Gou'ald in the form of the devil, it's idea was interesting but I distinctly remember thinking I could be doing other things and that I was unable to focus my attention on it. Point is: even though it has an interesting idea and interesting concepts, if it's boring, it's boring.

I don't think it failed because it was boring, to me it was because it couldn't exactly work out the character bits early on in it's life. I saw this as a radically different show and I never compared it to SG-1 or SGA during the time I watched it, I focused on the characters, I tried to watch and see what they had to offer me, the human flaws that lie beneath them, the personalities that would come to grow on me and I was expecting to see tons of unique sociological situations and of course the true unknown but what I got was contrived situations which involved clashes, tension, a splitting of sides and issues that I would expect to see in soap operas. (like the sudden unexpected situation.) I wasn't looking for pure sci-fi but I was looking for a character drama that had a unique flair to it with a sort of commentary that was deep and involving.

I certainly don't have a problem with slow episodes; "Life" is one of my favorites mainly because it had an amazing focus on the characters, and that episode was pretty slow moving. I have a problem when they don't know where to take it in plot, characters, situations and purpose.
                    Back from the grave.

Comment

A lot didn't stay glued to it because it was very boring. I love Stargate and I love SGU but I can't deny it's utterly boring in many episodes either. I'll watch it just for the sake of it but it IS boring in so many episodes that I can't believe it.
                      I was never bored with SGU! I found the characters just fascinating, and it was my favorite thing to watch every week, hands down.

Just goes to show that there is always variety in how people respond to TV, movies, books, music, etc.
                      sigpic
                      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I was talking Chevron. The gate wouldn't dial using its own point of origin. Eli guessed that. As for the brightest of the SGC, I'd put my money on Rodney McKay but even he gets things wrong. As for being smarter than Rush, you don't see Eli writing all over destinys corridors do you.

The complex proof isn't 100% either. For all we know, Rush may have stumbled onto it before but discounted it because the gate wouldn't dial using the planets own point of origin. They had never thought of using earths until Eli suggested it.

I'm not denying he's smart, all I'm saying is that I don't think he's smarter than rush. I'd put them on an even keel to be honest. Both distrust each other and always look to disprove the others theory and they both compete to keep Young happy.
                        For all we know Rush rode into Icarus on a giant pink unicorn. Unless it is said in canon it doesn't count. Because Eli said shows he is smarter. Thinking outside the box is its own intelligence. Rush has even said Eli is more intelligent. Look at Human for example.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Since my last post, I saw two more episodes and then lost interest. I've started watching again. Let's recap on the episodes I've seen so far.

Air, Part 1: I didn't mind the show beginning with everyone arriving on Destiny, but did it have to constantly flash back and forth? One, long flashback would have sufficed. This was otherwise an OK series premiere. The sex scene with Lt. Scott (the young guy who can't keep it in his pants) was entirely unnecessary. This was a family show. What happened? I liked O'Neill and Carter's small yet pivotal roles. Dr. Jackson's cameo was awesome. I like how the episode ended with the planet exploding. They're not on the Hammond, and they're not at the SGC. Where'd they go?

Air, Part 2: The senator died, the air filter is broken, Eli found flying camera balls, and Rush learned some of the ship's mission from the database. Zzzzzz.... An improvement over Part 1, but still boring.

Air, Part 3: All I remember is people running around in the sand, looking for lime. Zzzz...

Darkness: Power failed, Rush had a breakdown, Young's marriage is... what? The ship passed a gas giant, and now it's heading toward a star. Zzzz....

This is where I left off last time I posted here. I watched "Light" and "Water," but I never got around to commenting on them until now...

Light: FINALLY, the show is going somewhere! It only took what, five episodes? Finally, a plot driven episode. Destiny is going to fly into a star and burn up. There's a lottery, a hand full of people are going to escape via shuttle. Bad news, the one planet that might have supported life is a barren rock. Good news, Destiny's flying into a star to refuel, not burn up. Fetching the shuttle provided some great tension. If the show is like this, then I'll stick with it. I enjoyed this so much, I went ahead and watched another episode the same day.

Water: Another great, plot-driven episode. I liked how there were two plots: retrieving ice to melt into water and the sand aliens from "Air, Part 3." TJ (that's the medic?) in command was pretty cool. Does this mean she's 3rd in command after Young and Scott?

Last night, I watched... Earth: They kept talking about getting home, but they never said what the plan was until Destiny was flying into a star. Did I miss some dialogue or was the episode just vague to mess with viewers? It was interesting to see Eli and Chloe on Earth dealing with what they left behind. Young keeps saying these are the wrong people, but these are all soldiers, scientists, and various SGC or Icarus base personal. Really, the only ones totally unprepared are Eli and Chloe. It was nice to see them get some Earth time. I thought the communication stones were going to be used for play in this episode. Instead, the stone device was simply left on to keep Telford on Destiny for the duration of his mission. The show is continuing to get better.

So far, four boring episodes followed by three interesting episodes. We'll see where this goes. Tonight's episodes are going to be "Time" and maybe "Life." "Justice," "Space," and "Divided" are a mid-season trilogy of episodes, yes? Before I take a break from the show again (to watch something else for a while), where would be the better episode to leave off on? "Life" or "Divided?"

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            Last night, I watched... Earth: They kept talking about getting home, but they never said what the plan was until Destiny was flying into a star. Did I miss some dialogue or was the episode just vague to mess with viewers?
                            Yes. Eli explains it to Scott, Greer, TJ and Chloe near the beginning.

Comment

I was watching with my two little dogs. Guess I got distracted. Thanks!

Comment

Wow, I typed up a big post, and I only got one brief reply. This forum is getting slow, folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X