This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Unfortunately, nothing really happened in Part 2. The senator died, the air filter is broken, Eli found flying camera balls, and Rush learned some of the ship's mission from the database.
    A person dies, the air is running out, discovery of a new technology and finding a clue to why the ship was built is "nothing"?

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    We all liked SG1 and SGA for what it was - thrilling and gripping and full of aliens and tech. We expected to see the same with SGU
    It was known before the show started that it would be different from the others.

April 2009
    Neither one of us really wanted to do the same old thing again. We looked at it as an opportunity to say, "Look, we don't really want to do another version of the show -- you know, SG-3 or whatever."
    March 2007
    I can tell you what it won't be, which is it really won't be as much of a spin-off of SG-1 as Atlantis was. And it won't be a spin-off of Atlantis. It's going to be a third arm of the franchise that will really stand alone and I think be an entirely new flavor from what we've done before."

Comment

Originally posted by OutandAboot View Post
      It was known before the show started that it would be different from the others.

April 2009

March 2007
      Thats fair enough but it went to far. They're also publicly telling us that they're going to give us something totally different to what they knew we liked. That IMO means they're the guilty ones not us. They chose intentionally to give us something different and it destroyed the SG franchise. We didn't choose for it to be distasteful, they did.

The fact that they were open and honest about it means nothing. They gave us something that we didn't like to satisfy their own desire to do something different.

Don't get me wrong, I loved SGU just like many of the hardcore fans but like many, I also found it hard to stay with the first season because it was so boring. I'm glad I did because season 2 was excellent and a step back towards the real SG however by then it was too late. The producers had murdered the show with a butchers knife.

Comment

Season 1 was so bad that PickTV showed it 2 eipsodes at a time until they reached season 2 here in the UK. Once they hit season 2 they started showing them one a week. That says something.
        I don't really think you can put that much stock into the scheduling of a repeat run of a three year old show on a channel that is essentially Sky's shop window.
        Last edited by Naonak; 10 December 2012, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YceQueen View Post
          You are clearly not a fan. You have never bothered to hide your dislike for this show and how different it is from SG1 and Atlantis. So then why are watching it anyway? To come back to this thread after every episode and tell us how much you dislike?
          How can I be a fan when I've only watched two episodes? My disliking the show has nothing to do with how different it is from SG-1 and Atlantis. Please, don't pigeonhole me as being unable to accept change. Change isn't the problem, boring is the problem. Why am I watching? I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager lately, which has a similar premise. I figured since I loved that show, maybe I should finally give SGU a shot. Coming to this thread after every episode? Please, I'm only two episodes in, chill out. I've been covering both likes and dislikes, so again, chill out.

How bored you are with it? That's just kinda rude towards the fans who DO like this and are trying to keep our little part of the fandom alive with nice things.
          Being honest and criticizing a story is not rude, especially when I am a writer.

Part 3 sees them running around in the desert looking...
          I haven't seen Part 3 yet.

The fact that snowman is just saying the obvious should be accepted: SGU is boring and can't hold peoples attention in the first few shows. THAT is what makes or breaks a show. You can have all the drama you want and the producers patting themselves on the back for their elegant work as much as you like but if the viewers say its crap repeatedly then thats the bottom line.
          Thank you. I wouldn't call the show crap, it's actually quite good conceptually. It's just boring, because the pacing is nothing short of glacial.

A person dies, the air is running out, discovery of a new technology and finding a clue to why the ship was built is "nothing"?
          People die all the time in SG episodes. Air running out can make for a dramatic scene, but three whole episodes? Come on... Perhaps I should say that nothing interesting has happened yet. I'm not even all that interested in the ship itself. An old, rusty ship flying through the universe. OK... What makes it different from every other ancient ship we've seen? What makes it different from Earth's Daedalus-class ships? How is it different from the Asgard ships? So far, it doesn't strike me as wow.

I enjoy a lot of shows that are nothing like Stargate. Different isn't the problem, boring is the problem.
          Last edited by Snowman37; 10 December 2012, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
            I don't really think you can put that much stock into the scheduling of a repeat run of a three year old show on a channel that is essentially Sky's shop window.
            Like it or not, that is the point. It's a shop window for sky and they know it was such a flop that they might as well make it a BOGOF for the entire season 1.

In defending season 1, you've proved the very point I was trying to make.

Comment

On the contrary, I disagree. We all liked SG1 and SGA for what it was - thrilling and gripping and full of aliens and tech. We expected to see the same with SGU but it turned out to be some boring drama thing which dedicated scifi fans didn't expect nor want.

The fact that snowman is just saying the obvious should be accepted: SGU is boring and can't hold peoples attention in the first few shows. THAT is what makes or breaks a show. You can have all the drama you want and the producers patting themselves on the back for their elegant work as much as you like but if the viewers say its crap repeatedly then thats the bottom line.
              It's funny how you keep saying stuff like "we" and "facts", like you speak for the whole fandom. Just a little thought for you to keep in mind; your opinions are not facts. You disliking SGU's first season, and loving SGA and SG1 more than Universe, does not mean the whole fandom feels the same.

How can I be a fan when I've only watched two episodes? My disliking the show has nothing to do with how different it is from SG-1 and Atlantis. Please, don't pigeonhole me as being unable to accept change. Change isn't the problem, boring is the problem. Why am I watching? I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager lately, which has a similar premise. I figured since I loved that show, maybe I should finally give SGU a shot. Coming to this thread after every episode? Please, I'm only two episodes in, chill out. I've been covering both likes and dislikes, so again, chill out.
              I don't need to chill out, I'm doing just fine, thanks
              My point is that everytime someone brings up Universe in the General section, or SG-1/Atlantis section, you always seem to find it necessary to joke about the show and the fandom in a not so funny way. You've had no problem making it clear that you don't like the show, that you thought it was terrible when you watched the first episode, etc. So that's why I don't get it, that's why I'm asking you why, if you're clearly not a fan, you come here to the Universe section, make a thread about how you're gonna watch the show, and then keep coming back to tell us how much you dislike it, how boring you think it is. What's the point? You obviously didn't go into it with an open mind...?

Comment

If it helps you understand, this is my second time attempting to watch the show. The first was back when it aired way back in 2009. I never got past "Air, Part 3." I'm giving the show a second chance, only because it's similar to Star Trek: Voyager, one of my favorite shows. Back then and now, I'm finding "Air" very boring. Both times, I have gone in with an open mind, and both times, I have found myself bored silly. Why is it that if someone doesn't enjoy the show, they obviously don't have an open mind?

Comment

I'm not even all that interested in the ship itself. An old, rusty ship flying through the universe. OK... What makes it different from every other ancient ship we've seen? What makes it different from Earth's Daedalus-class ships? How is it different from the Asgard ships? So far, it doesn't strike me as wow.
                  Give it a while. You soon will when the Destinys Artificial Intelligence starts to make itself known. You'll then realise that it's actually quite an incredible ship that has a soul and actually looks after the crew more than they realise. It's an acquired taste if I'm honest. I initially thought the same as you - it was crap, the ship was crap, the concept was great but the way it was turned into a show was crap. Give it time, I did. I'm glad I did because I now think SGU was one of the best shows to ever hit our screens even if it did have a very crap beginning.

Also don't forget, this ship is millions of years old - launched from earth. The city of Atlantis left earth "several million years ago" so Destiny must be that and a bit more age wise. It's not going to have some of the ultra cool tech that Atlantis had but it does still have some great surprises in store for you.

Please snowman, if you don't like the first few episodes at least give the second season a chance.

It's funny how you keep saying stuff like "we" and "facts", like you speak for the whole fandom. Just a little thought for you to keep in mind; your opinions are not facts. You disliking SGU's first season, and loving SGA and SG1 more than Universe, does not mean the whole fandom feels the same.
                  Here is a fact for you mate. I actually like SGU MORE than SGA and SG1. Sure I think it had a crap beginning as did many other fans of SG who I mention but you can't deny there were plenty of people who didn't like it. The ratings say the same thing so you're on a looser if you're trying to say everyone loved it. I did but it took time. Season 2 was utterly fantastic but season 1 was bad. Despite that by the time SGU finished season 2 over here, I preferred it more than SGA or SG1. Pipe and smoke it.

Comment

Clearly there are at least two different types of SGU watchers, those of us who love action and violence and are bored by human drama and those of us who love human drama and despise human violence shows.
                    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

I like action, violence (against the bad guys), and human drama. SGU being a drama isn't the issue. I've watched science-fiction dramas before and had a lot of fun. Roswell's first two episodes were far more entertaining than SGU's opening two episodes. The difference is pacing and interesting characters. Whether the show is drama or adventure is simply irrelevant.

Comment

Here is a fact for you mate. I actually like SGU MORE than SGA and SG1. Sure I think it had a crap beginning as did many other fans of SG who I mention but you can't deny there were plenty of people who didn't like it. The ratings say the same thing so you're on a loser if you're trying to say everyone loved it. I did but it took time. Season 2 was utterly fantastic but season 1 was bad. Despite that by the time SGU finished season 2 over here, I preferred it more than SGA or SG1. Pipe and smoke it.
                        I don't think she was trying to do either of those things, but when you make a comment about what "dedicated" fans wanted you're stepping into dangerous territory.

Comment

I just finished watching "Air, Part 3." Now I remember why I stopped watching last time. Tell me something interesting actually happens in "Darkness."

Comment

I like action, violence (against the bad guys), and human drama. SGU being a drama isn't the issue. I've watched science-fiction dramas before and had a lot of fun. Roswell's first two episodes were far more entertaining than SGU's opening two episodes. The difference is pacing and interesting characters. Whether the show is drama or adventure is simply irrelevant.
                            Yeah but what you found boring- we found exciting. Clearly there are different types of people watching these shows for different reasons.

For example the term "bad guys" shows a certain level of immaturity. In truth there are never any all "good guys" or all "bad guys". Every one is a shade of grey. In fact the very act of gravitating to one pole or another , requires devloping a particular POV involving things like propaganda , deception and distorition etc.

Simply by portraying them as "aliens" or better yet as "insects/bugs aliens", makes it easier to justify kill them. Justified violence, is a very slippery slope.
                            SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

I just finished watching "Air, Part 3." Now I remember why I stopped watching last time. Tell me something interesting actually happens in "Darkness."
                              Not really mate but Light is pretty cool. If you can't be bothered with darkness please at least watch light. Even if you only watch the last 15 mins of it - thats where the best CGI FX are and you learn more about the ship and its AI.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
                                Yeah but what you found boring- we found exciting.
                                And what you found exciting, a lot of viewers didn't and voted with their feet.

Sorry, I know thats hard for the hardcore to swallow (including me) but its simply the truth.

My partner likes SG too. She started watching SGU with me and she simply couldn't follow it. She's go to bed early rather than watch it with me. That changed a bit when I told her season 2 was a lot better but she still couldn't be bothered.

Unfortunately the boringness of it isn't what many fans wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                X