What to watch after SGU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    There's some real crap you need to wade through in Enterprise. Honestly I think this is the most pathetic scene I've ever seen written into any sci-fi series ever:

Yeah hands and the blue t shirt does make scene pretty bad. Take those out through it be one of the better scenes in Scifi.

Comment

House, How i met your mother, Two and a Half Men if Sheen&Company reconcile
      NCIS, White Collar
      Modern Family
      Big Bang Theory
      Sanctuary
      Dexter
      Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
        I wasn't a big fan of ST:E. There were individual episodes which were quite good, but on the whole the series had too much of a grandiose attitude for my liking. Perhaps it's just that what I thought the series should have been about was barely addressed.

I was hoping for a series about the formation of Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets. While that was present (sorta') the primary focus of the series was all about the temporal cold war and the war with the Xindi. While there were some good moments I couldn't wait for the third season to end.

regards,
        G.
        Enterprise had to grow on me. It was just hard to get used to Star Trek without a holodeck, transporter, and other things. Like Destiny without a stargate. (or shuttles / or space suits / or ...)

Comment

I would highly recommend the following (bold are essentials):

Lost
          Prison Break
          Chuck
          Fringe
          The X-Files
          Torchwood
          The latest series of Doctor Who (and the new series starting soon)
          Defying Gravity (cancelled after one season but still brilliant)
          Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (cancelled after two seasons but still brilliant)
          Dollhouse (same as Terminator)
          Band of Brothers/The Pacific
          Rome
          Last edited by Mr Evil 37; 08 March 2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Bold Rome!

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              Bold Rome!
              I am about to start watching it, but my brother says it is fantastic. I've bolded it though, as I trust his opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
                I am about to start watching it, but my brother says it is fantastic. I've bolded it though, as I trust his opinion
                Rome is AWESOME. I'm trying to get into Chuck but finding it really difficult. You'd think otherwise since i actually work at a computer repair shop and like adam baldwin. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                  Rome is AWESOME. I'm trying to get into Chuck but finding it really difficult. You'd think otherwise since i actually work at a computer repair shop and like adam baldwin. *shrugs*
                  Chuck gets a LOT better during season two. Season one is pretty good and a nice foundation, but the leap on quality is huge after that.

Comment

If you like SGU? Check out 24, The Shield, Rescue Me and Battlestar Galactica.

Comment

Keep you heads up for Falling Skyes. That one is going to rock. And it even has Colin on it, so great start Steven.
                      sigpic
                      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Outcasts! I'm three episodes in and it's feeding my need for mature Sci-fi. Maybe I'll save the remaining episodes to fill the SGU void once it's over.
                        I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

"Welcome to Terra Nova" sounds suspiciously like "Welcome to Pandora" given who the actor is, I wonder if it was a little nod to Avatar.

Comment

I'm looking forward for space based shows like Orion and Sherwood on Syfy. I hope they make the cut.

For the moment for those who like SGU very much:

Fringe: The first 2 seasons were good, but the third season, my favorite, is closer to what fans of SGU may like. Its more serialized, with great attention given to characters arcs, developing storyline and mythology and relationship. I think that series is fantastic.

Star Trek DS9: I think the style is close to what SGU was going for in term of character arcs. But DS9 back story is much more interesting, complex and involve many alien species and social interaction (conflicts, wars, etc). Not my preferred trek series, but it's closer to SGU.

Sci-fi series for Stargate fans:

- Seven Days: Not one of the best sci-fi series, but the style is so close to SG1, it's incredible. Exactly the same tone than SG1 imo with a mix of military, missions, humor, drama, etc. I don't think I saw all the series. It even involve talks about Russians and the Cold War (like SG1).

- Star Trek Voyager: Fans of the first 6 seasons of SG1 may like it. It is more topical than SGU (every episode is about some aspect of human cultures view through Sci-fi prism). It has about the same approximate premise than SGU (or Farscape): "humans" lost in a far away galaxy cut up from earth contact. The best is to watch it in order on DVD. It makes the journey very epic and involving.

- The new Outer Limits: That is if you can catch it. Brad Wright was involve in this sci-fi anthology series. Great different sci-fi stories every week often with nice twists. Very well written. Sometimes I wonder why can't they make their Syfy original movies like this in terms of writing quality. It can be that hard if that series was making it, well almost, week after week.

- Doctor Who (2005): The new Doctor Who has a great mix of topical stories and humor. Something Stargate fans may like.

- Andromeda: The first 2 seasons of Andromeda were great. A rag tag spaceship crew of people with their own agenda. The writing in the first season is especially strong (beside the first 2 episodes which are just ok).

Other great sci-fi series: Sliders (especially the first 3 seasons), Star Trek TNG (beyond season 2), Lost, 4400, the original and new Twilight Zone (all 3 series), Babylon 5. And shortlived: Crusade, Day Break (Groundhog day meet 24), Journeyman, Vanished (almost sci-fi but more like 24).
                            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

wow thanks so much guys these are great! i never expected to get this many responses!

i'm thinking i'm going to give Farscape and the Wire another try.

Outcasts looks interesting so i'm going to dip my toes in the water to try that one out.

I need finish the end of Sliders, i saw most of it but drifted away for a while. Definitely looking forward to Terra Nova.

The Shield is also on my list. I remember seeing a few episodes back in the day but never got into it. Now there's so much of it to see all at once which is appealing, no cliffhangers!

Keep em coming people!

/Zelix your entire list got quite the boost when you threw in a Day Break reference, I freaking loved that show!

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                                i'm thinking i'm going to give Farscape and the Wire another try.
                                Excellent choices, both great shows in their own right.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X