This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
    It's entirely possible I'm a little bit in love with you.
    Me first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowe View Post
      I contains Melodrama.
      Not many people will say that openly.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        I have to agree, the Drama is done wrong. It comes in too strong and dominates the plot. Not even soaps do this. But I suspect that this was due to TPTB's attempt to set the stage up all at once, instead off doing it throughout the first season.

Their tactics sacrifice the Plot to Character development which is a turn off to many. however imo it is obvious that they have put in elements to counter this. It just was done insufficiently to make those like me pick a side and stick with it.
        The only thing I can reason out for this sort of writing is that old sexist belief that you have to appeal to emotions in order to win the "female" audience. But I don't think it's strictly a gender issue. It's probably been refined over the years to be more about Emotional Response vs Intellectual Response. I think they are targeting the Emotional Response viewer be they male or female.

There are two types of people in this particular case of TV viewing population, those who respond to stimulus on an emotional level and those who respond on an intellectual level. Let me be clear here responding on an intellectual level does not indicate superior intelligence.

Myself being someone who responds to the show on an intellectual level means I analyze what I have seen and heard. I think about the plausibility of the circumstances and the characters intellectual responses to events. Are their actions, words and decisions logical. Has there been attention to detail throughout the episode. People like myself have an emotional detachment from the show.

I believe people who respond to SGU on an emotion level allow themselves to empathize with the characters. They go through a mild sort of emotional roller coaster ride throughout the course of an episode. Allowing the emotions the writing is trying to evoke to more easily come to the surface. They therefore feel more strongly about the show because they had a more engaging experience while watching.

It's simply that brains are wired differently.

I am sure there are some emotional watchers who are smarter than me. All the little issues that bother me they let slide because the emotions are what provides gratification to them.

There are probably studies that would show Emotional Response viewers are more loyal. That is why TPTB are targeting them. If they win them over they are more likely to keep watching.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          Not many people will say that openly.
          I hate that I can't edit my post on this forum. I am typing on a laptop and I'm not a very good typist. Most other forums I go to I can edit my own posts.

"I" should have been "It"

yeah, I should read my own post before submitting my reply but sometimes I am so anxious I forget to.

Comment

I've been a Probie 5-6 days now. I clearly am not a spammer. But I think I'll find another SGU forum to frequent. I thought this was the premier Stargate Forum so I wanted to express my opinions here but it's too frustrating compared to any other forums I've ever joined.

Comment

Me first.
              getting jealous EllieVee?
              sigpic
              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                Always!

Comment

The problem a lot of people I have spoken with, is that they are trying too hard to be something else other than what you might expect from a Stargate related sci-fi. Perhaps it might have been more accepted if they lost contact altogether with Earth, straight after the 1st episode, and dispensed with the stones. It'll being intriguing to see how channel 10's ratings go for it after Monday
                  My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                  sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Always!
                    Hee. You needn't worry. I never fight over men.

Now, Jager! That's an entirely different story.
                    you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Jager? No taste. EllieVee, you can have her!
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                        The problem a lot of people I have spoken with, is that they are trying too hard to be something else other than what you might expect from a Stargate related sci-fi. Perhaps it might have been more accepted if they lost contact altogether with Earth, straight after the 1st episode, and dispensed with the stones. It'll being intriguing to see how channel 10's ratings go for it after Monday
                        I wouldn't expect too much from Ch 10, although in the past they've been pretty good to science fiction shows because they fit into their advertising demographic.

Comment

Jager? No taste. EllieVee, you can have her!
                          Hmmm... I think she wants you? Or did I miss something?

And HEY. I'll have you know that here, Jager is considered medicine. For its miraculous powers of deliciousness.
                          But then, we officially have beer as nutritious product, so. AND RIGHTFULLY SO.
                          you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Forgive my idiocy.....i am ridiculously tired from this week at uni. Ellie, do not forsake me for being a right 'tard!
                            I wanna see Greer rally the troops again, only this time in a better cause than Young!
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Rowe View Post
                              Let's get something straightened out, SGU does not contain Drama. I contains Melodrama.
                              Let's straighten that out a bit, every Stargate Show has contained melodrama. Any show that heightens drama and or characters and pushes them in melodrama.

People are under the misunderstanding that melodrama only find's in home in relationship stories. That just isn't true.
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                                Let's straighten that out a bit, every Stargate Show has contained melodrama. Any show that heightens drama and or characters and pushes them in melodrama.

People are under the misunderstanding that melodrama only find's in home in relationship stories. That just isn't true.
                                You mean like exciting melodrama as apposed to boring my ex had a kid and ruined her life melodrama?
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X