Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With any luck she'll be tested with ascension.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks the communication stones Eli and Chloe found are on the Destiny, not the ones we've got?

So it's not like they just snuck into the SGC labs and played with the stones; they probably found them while killing time on the Destiny after they're flung out into the cosmos.

Heck, we don't even have our stones anymore. Cam and Teal'c vaporized them.

Comment

So it's not like they just snuck into the SGC labs and played with the stones; they probably found them while killing time on the Destiny after they're flung out into the cosmos.
        That's a good notion, but it doesn't make their actions any less appalling.

Comment

I was hoping you'd say that.

IMHO, this just adds to the "imperfection" of these characters. You may dislike that kind of thing, and that's fine, but I've always looked for stuff like this. SG1 characters were often too "good" for me (Jack being the exception, and he's my fav character there), and that grew better with SGA; Sheppard is probably the darkest "good guy" we have and I'm fascinated by his character, more so than anyone else. I also like SGA more than SG1, probably for this very reason.

So yeah, if stuff like this happens on SGU, then I welcome it. I won't lie, I would seriously consider doing what Chloe seems to be doing if I cared about what people thought about me, which I don't, much.

It's all about context. Besides, Chloe is the progeny of a politician. A politician.

Comment

I was hoping you'd say that.
            LOL! You had to know I would!

IMHO, this just adds to the "imperfection" of these characters. You may dislike that kind of thing, and that's fine, but I've always looked for stuff like this. SG1 characters were often too "good" for me (Jack being the exception, and he's my fav character there), and that grew better with SGA; Sheppard is probably the darkest "good guy" we have and I'm fascinated by his character, more so than anyone else. I also like SGA more than SG1, probably for this very reason.

So yeah, if stuff like this happens on SGU, then I welcome it. I won't lie, I would seriously consider doing what Chloe seems to be doing if I cared about what people thought about me, which I don't, much.

It's all about context. Besides, Chloe is the progeny of a politician. A politician.
            You make your point well. This is, in fact, a case, where it is a matter of taste, and one I don't share. One of the things that I liked best about SG-1 is that they were basically good guys. They all had flaws, but when it came down to brass tacks, you knew thay would do the right thing. To me, that made them all the more likable, and I really cared about what happened to them. (That and I liked the science and exploration.) Generally, they made the choices that I would like to think that I would make.

This is one of the reasons that I didn't care that much about Atlantis. I really couldn't identify with the characters, or work up much feeling for them. Well, except Rodney, but he has a much better developed character than the others.

This is definately a reason that I absolutely hated BSG. I just hoped they'd all kill each other off and spare the universe their presence.

Yeah-I'm worried that they are going a direction that I won't like in SGU, but Brad Wright is involved, and I tend to like his writing so I hope for the best. Plus side if I hate it? Me not liking it almost guarantees that you will! ; ) If that's the case, I will have no reason to watch except for the faint hope that someone pushes Chloe out an airlock...

Comment

Well said. I can definitely see where you're come from. Heh, for me, I kind of "grew tired" of good guys after immersing myself in Star Trek.

Oh, and I hate BSG as well. Don't get me wrong, I like dark stuff, but that thing is waaaaay too much for my taste. I hope SGU is a good balance between the dark, depressing BSG and the light of SG1. Like SGA, but more arc-based, I suppose.

I think the key difference is, though SG1 and SGA dabble in the dark some times, the ultimate message is that these people are essentially good, and that sometimes, they do bad things because they see no other choice. In BSG, it seems that these people are just bad, bad people. I don't like that.

Comment

I think the key difference is, though SG1 and SGA dabble in the dark some times, the ultimate message is that these people are essentially good, and that sometimes, they do bad things because they see no other choice. In BSG, it seems that these people are just bad, bad people. I don't like that.
                I'd agree with that - they are, indeed, bad, bad, people. No one in SG-1 or SGA wants to do rotten stuff. SG-1 is a bit better at pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute-not everyone can be so lucky. Of course, Daniel often dies when they do that, so it's not all good...

Comment

In a rather bizarre scene from the audition sides for Chloe Carpenter, Chloe and Eli Hitchcock use the long range communications devices to inhabit people’s bodies on Earth and infiltrate a bar where Chloe, in the body of someone else, finds out what her “friends” really think of her. Chloe finds out that these people associated with her only because she is the daughter of a US Senator. Eli tries to comfort her, saying that the only person who really cares for what happens to him is his mother. They are both scared being trapped on the ship, but can’t deny the excitement of it all. They also realize that using the communications devices to live out their lives is not right and in Eli’s words, “screwed up”.

There are no words....
                  sigpic

Comment

Since stupidity/immaturity seems to be the subject on the table....

Chloe Carpenter
                    20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either. Politically and socially savvy. Dreams of following in her father's footsteps but for now she's a bit of a party girl in her first year at an Ivy League school. Her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship seriously tests her character. SERIES REGULAR;
                    Um...what? I don't know about you guys, but I was just 18 in my first year of university, a few people I knew were 17 until December-ish. If she's from political blood and attending an Ivy League school (hello legacy), money clearly wasn't the issue holding her back. So...why exactly is someone "not stupid" in their 20s in their first year of school?
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Um...what? I don't know about you guys, but I was just 18 in my first year of university, a few people I knew were 17 until December-ish. If she's from political blood and attending an Ivy League school (hello legacy), money clearly wasn't the issue holding her back. So...why exactly is someone "not stupid" in their 20s in their first year of school?
                      It's not unheard of for people to take a year or two off before going to university. Maybe she was saving Africa or something.
                      sigpic

Comment

Or pretending to save Africa for a photo op to make her daddy look good.

I'm...kind of down on Politicians these days. Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Or pretending to save Africa for a photo op to make her daddy look good.

I'm...kind of down on Politicians these days. Yeah.
                          Take a look at my location...

I get you. Boy do I get you.
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually, I'm talking more about the Americans. At the moment, I'm just highly amused at what could be the 2nd Canadian election in 4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Actually, I'm talking more about the Americans. At the moment, I'm just highly amused at what could be the 2nd Canadian election in 4 months.
                              Harper has ceased to amuse me.

This is my, "I am not amused" face.

The country's economy is only in turmoil. People are only worried about their jobs and their families.

"Hey," Harper says. "I don't feel like facing a confidence vote on Monday. Let's just shut down Parliament. We can do that, right?"

"We can do anything so long as I say we can," replies the Governor General.

Yay, Canada!

sigpic

Comment

He did what?! This is bull****, he's literally trying to run away from the will of the people.

Ok, no longer amused am I.

Comment

Working...
                                X