This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    Many thanks xandder, it's good to know that I'm not the only one willing to give Universe a go.
    I know I'm still very new to GW, but if people blast me for sharing my opinion, then I'd just blast them right back coz that's what I think.
    To me people who aren't willing to give the new show a try are just feeling bitter about the SGA cancellation, I wouldn't say they aren't true fans as you can only like what appeals to you and I just don't really see how they can decide it doesn't do that when they haven't seen it.
    As it's been said in before, most of Stargate fans will tune into the pilot to at least give it a go, even if they say there not. I love anything to do with Science Fiction for the most part and Stargate and Star Trek espicially.

I greatly enjoyed Voyager when it came out, and DS9 near the end. I couldn't get into it when it first came out, much to the same of Battlestar Galactica. I don't know why just didn't and don't like it.

My biggest problem with Stargate Universe, and the direction of Stargate is I feel they are abandoning one series to develope another. While I know everyone has said that one has nothing to do with the other, the timing is oh so coincidental.

Atlantis, as evidenced by season 5 is just now kicking in it's afterburners to some great stories, as its developed some strong roots in the first 3 seasons. Season 4 saw some big changes and risks, leading into this wonderful season we have right now.

But I know it's always about the money. Universe will cast all unknowns and by far eventually be cheaper than to produce than Atlantis. And in five or so years, hopefully we will be having a whole new discussion, about a new series, or seeing Atlantis re-visited.

I also wonder, if this experiment is millions of years old, I hope the writers don't ruin it by showing us tons of new technology. I mean if we are in Atlantis right now, it should contain all the newest technology, so this would just be opening themselves up to plot holes, or continuity issues.
    You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      Very true. We will only really be able to judge SGU after we've seen the first episode.
      I would like to think so, and more, I would like to think that people would maybe look at the first five episodes before making any judgements. Obviously, I don't really care what other people do with their watching habits, so I'm not going to go nuts. But it only seems fair to give TPTB at least a shot at convincing the viewer that SGU may be good, given that they must have done something in the past that made you enjoy Stargate enough to join the fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by ablevins425 View Post
        As it's been said in before, most of Stargate fans will tune into the pilot to at least give it a go, even if they say there not. I love anything to do with Science Fiction for the most part and Stargate and Star Trek espicially.

I greatly enjoyed Voyager when it came out, and DS9 near the end. I couldn't get into it when it first came out, much to the same of Battlestar Galactica. I don't know why just didn't and don't like it.

My biggest problem with Stargate Universe, and the direction of Stargate is I feel they are abandoning one series to develope another. While I know everyone has said that one has nothing to do with the other, the timing is oh so coincidental.

Atlantis, as evidenced by season 5 is just now kicking in it's afterburners to some great stories, as its developed some strong roots in the first 3 seasons. Season 4 saw some big changes and risks, leading into this wonderful season we have right now.

But I know it's always about the money. Universe will cast all unknowns and by far eventually be cheaper than to produce than Atlantis. And in five or so years, hopefully we will be having a whole new discussion, about a new series, or seeing Atlantis re-visited.

I also wonder, if this experiment is millions of years old, I hope the writers don't ruin it by showing us tons of new technology. I mean if we are in Atlantis right now, it should contain all the newest technology, so this would just be opening themselves up to plot holes, or continuity issues.

I dont think that would be much of a problem, from what I've come to understand, the destiny was launched by the Alterans, and while they are practically the same as the Lanteans, they are also different in a way, so by that example so would their technology to a certain degree. And the lanteans have been 'advancing' for longer, but not got any wiser really, the alteran created the stargates millions of years ago, while the lanteans have yet to really create anything on that level, the altero(?) device was good, but ultimately unusable.

I've always thought of the Alterans, ancients and lanteans as sub species of each other, while still being the same species. The lanteans dont seem to know how to do anything properly, ie the Altero device- the tumor inducing machine-project arcturus etc, while the Ancients/Alterans seem to perfect all that they do, ie the ark of truth, the darkara weapon, the stargate overloader, ZPMs, the sangrall, the stargates etc.

So if we do see 'new' tech that seems to be more advance than the stuff in atlantis, I dont really see that being a problem, because I see the Lanteans as being the 'stupid' part of the family lol the only thing I see as them creating that was any good was the time machine that Janus built, oh and the satallite weapon, other than them, the rest just seem to be one failure after another, imo

Comment

Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
          How do I even answer that? As an example, is a Gateworld member skeptical because they hate that SGA was cancelled to make way for SGU? In that case, I would say the skepticism is not logical. Logic would say judge SGU on its own merits, not on the basis that it killed SGA. I think the basis of your judgement is what makes skepticism logical or illogical.
          I have to repeat myself here there has been no proof that this is the case, as far as I'm aware SGA the show was cancelled for the franchise to take a new direction not just to make one new show.
          For people to blame the cancellation of SGA on Universe is just not logical at all.
          They need to look at the bigger picture and not put the blame on one part of that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by ablevins425 View Post

I think I read on JoeM's blog that the cost of Universe will be on a par with what the sixth season of Atlantis would've cost due to the fact that there will be a considerable budget for special effects.
            Personally I hope that Universe will rock and last at least 5 seasons with a really good unrushed ending or change in direction.
            It could happen

Even if there are lots of new technologies it doesn't meen that they won't fit into the Alteran timeline.
            It doesn't have to meen that the tech will look really old as the Alterans would likely have still been at least a few million years ahead of us or even the Asgard and they would've made Destiny to last.
            In my opnion if you look at the Asgard they were at least a hundred thousand years more advanced than we are and their ships look much sleeker and more advanced than even Atlantis which as everyone knows was built by the Alteran's and they were at least 20 million years ahead of the Asgard technologically.
            Looks aren't everything.
            There may be technology that the Ancients experimented in with the construction of the Destiny that they abandoned when they made Atlantis.

Comment

I have to repeat myself here there has been no proof that this is the case, as far as I'm aware SGA the show was cancelled for the franchise to take a new direction not just to make one new show.
              For people to blame the cancellation of SGA on Universe is just not logical at all.
              They need to look at the bigger picture and not put the blame on one part of that picture.
              Apologies, maybe I should have been a little more clear when I wrote this. I wasn't trying to say outright or imply that SGA was canned to make way for SGU. This was said in the context that if a hypothetical Gateworld member believed this and was skeptical about watching SGU as a result, then they would not be basing that skepticism on a logical foundation (eg seeing the first few episodes and deciding it doesn't look good) but instead on an emotional foundation (eg I hate that you cancelled my SGA, therefore I'm not going to watch SGU as a protest). I wasn't actually portraying my own views on SGA being cancelled (in this instance at least).

Comment

Apologies, maybe I should have been a little more clear when I wrote this. I wasn't trying to say outright or imply that SGA was canned to make way for SGU. This was said in the context that if a hypothetical Gateworld member believed this and was skeptical about watching SGU as a result, then they would not be basing that skepticism on a logical foundation (eg seeing the first few episodes and deciding it doesn't look good) but instead on an emotional foundation (eg I hate that you cancelled my SGA, therefore I'm not going to watch SGU as a protest). I wasn't actually portraying my own views on SGA being cancelled (in this instance at least).
                No worries, I've just come acrossed a lot of people that assume that was the reason why SGA was cancelled and thought you had similar views.
                I understand what what you meen now.

Comment

No worries, I've just come acrossed a lot of people that assume that was the reason why SGA was cancelled and thought you had similar views.
                  I understand what what you meen now.
                  No trouble. I certainly believe (and this is my view) that SGU's greenlight was a factor behind SGA being cancelled. Was it the only factor? Of course not. It's far too simplistic to say that it is, and I understand you getting annoyed when people say that.

Comment

I think SGA was already going to be canceled and SGU had nothing to do with it. We should be happy that TPTB were fortunate enough to convince Sci-Fi to pick up a new show or it might be the end of SG.

I am up for a change of pace. I liked Atlantis, but it didn't seem to be going anywhere really. I don't mind a new show, just as long as they do it right. I think most fans fear is that they'll get something wrong and ruin the show as a result. It's true you can't judge until you've watched the show, but at the same time conscidering SG track record, it's not hard to imagine the show not falling apart. I guess people are saying they don't have faith in TPTB's ability to produce quality shows. Sometimes it seems like they put ratings before quality storytelling. I think I'm not alone when I say I hope TPTB prove us wrong.

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
                    -Dow ad

Comment

Originally posted by TheHumanElement View Post
                      I think SGA was already going to be canceled and SGU had nothing to do with it. We should be happy that TPTB were fortunate enough to convince Sci-Fi to pick up a new show or it might be the end of SG.
                      I think that probably a little too simplistic. SGA's ratings were as good as those that got it renewed for a fifth season. I really think there are probably two factors that link the two together:
                      • Money - SGU is apparently going to cost more to make. Saving the money that would have spent on SGA episodes offsets some of this expense.
                      • Writing - TPTB talks about how difficult it was writing seasons of SG1 and SGA concurrently. Same thing would have happened here, with the extra load of two films.

I think these show that SGU was at least part of the reason for cancelling SGA (but of course not the only reasons).

Comment

No trouble. I certainly believe (and this is my view) that SGU's greenlight was a factor behind SGA being cancelled. Was it the only factor? Of course not. It's far too simplistic to say that it is, and I understand you getting annoyed when people say that.
                        I get the feeling from Brad's interview with GW that making the Atlantis movie(s) likely played the biggest part in the cancellation of the show, that's not to say it was the only thing and I'm sure starting Universe also played a part in the decision making.
                        From reading certain parts relating to this issue of Joe's blog it feels to me like they could've carried on making the show for at least a sixth season.

I suppose with the movie (I think I read something along these somewhere ) having it's own primary storyline and not having to wrap up any major storylines, TPTB likely feel they can appeal to a broader range of viewers and at the end of the day it's all about money.

"they wan't the money, show me the money!"
                        Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 07 October 2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I get the feeling from Brad's interview with GW that making the Atlantis movie(s) likely played the biggest part in the cancellation of the show, that's not to say it was the only thing and I'm sure starting Universe also played a part in the decision making.
                          From reading certain parts relating to this issue of Joe's blog it feels to me like they could've carried on making the show for at least a sixth season.

I suppose with the movie (I think I read something along these somewhere ) having it's own primary storyline and not having to wrap up any major storylines, TPTB likely feel they can appeal to a broader range of viewers and at the end of the day it's all about money.

"they wan't the money, show me the money!"
                          That does make sense. The movies have been pretty lucrative so far. They will want to keep mining that vein at MGM and SciFi (greedy *******s).

Comment

I realize that this is not an in-depth discussion but right after they announced the new SGU I started reading the forum here "religiously" to get more info on it. I see many people, who obviously are SG fans, posting comments like, "I'm not going to watch the show because...." or "I'm still deciding if I'm going to watch it". Would it really be possible to not watch it??

Comment

Well some people are upset that they canceled SGA to make SGU (supposedly) . I personally got over the cancelation pretty quick and never once postulated the thought of not watching SGU. It's SG and its made by the same people that made my two favorite shows. Why wouldn't I watch?

Perfecto!

Comment

I know. It's weird huh? People who don't accept everything simply because it has Stargate in the name. These people should obviously be tarred and feathered.

And mocked.

Endlessly.

Comment

Working...
                                X