This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
    Oooh...I would definitely watch SGU if he was in it...I've loved him in everything I've seen him in...most recently, Dr. Horrible's Sing a long Blog
    /agree

I have everlasting <3 for Firefly and all involved with that show and Dr.Horrible was hilarious. It'd be great to see them use him as it might even get those firefly/dr.horrible devotees to watch SGU.

Comment

I would bow to having Nathan Fillion...

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
        He was on another sci-fi show, so they won't hire him...I cannot see the logic there. Ben Browder and Claudia Black weren't exactly sci-fi novices.... It wasn't canceled because of him
        Again, I wasn't saying they won't, I said it was less likely since he already fulfilled that type of role - almost exactly. Captain/Expedition Leader/Commander, whatever you want to call it, the SGU role sounds like it might be a little too similar, which is why I would think TPTB might consider someone else before Nathan. He's a good actor, was great in Firefly, made me love to hate him until he became julienne preacher in Buffy, and was pretty good in Dr. Horrible, so yes, he probably would do a good job in Stargate. I just don't see him being a first choice for the role.

As far as Ben and Claudia go - she was there for a guest starring role, and was so well received that she was temporarily brought back to fill a bit of a void when Amanda was out bein' a mommy , and her character turned into something more for the show. We all know this. Ben, on the other hand, he did a great job, and yes, he was in Farscape. But was he the rule or the exception? Was he their first choice when casting the role? I really don't know.

That's my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by rl2hb View Post
          Again, I wasn't saying they won't, I said it was less likely since he already fulfilled that type of role - almost exactly. Captain/Expedition Leader/Commander, whatever you want to call it, the SGU role sounds like it might be a little too similar, which is why I would think TPTB might consider someone else before Nathan. He's a good actor, was great in Firefly, made me love to hate him until he became julienne preacher in Buffy, and was pretty good in Dr. Horrible, so yes, he probably would do a good job in Stargate. I just don't see him being a first choice for the role.

As far as Ben and Claudia go - she was there for a guest starring role, and was so well received that she was temporarily brought back to fill a bit of a void when Amanda was out bein' a mommy , and her character turned into something more for the show. We all know this. Ben, on the other hand, he did a great job, and yes, he was in Farscape. But was he the rule or the exception? Was he their first choice when casting the role? I really don't know.

That's my two cents.
          I'm sorry, I still don't get why him doing a similar role before would put them off from taking him on for this role. I could understand him not wanting to be typecast, but as he is a sci-fi fan, I doubt that is a problem. If anything it proves that he can play that kind of character. That is like saying you couldn't hire an actor to play a doctor because they have played a doctor before. Plus he could play a different type of leader - compare Hammond to Landry, both leaders, very different styles.

And if Ben Browder is the exception, what is Robert Picardo? And why does an exception prove a rule? Also why does Claudia Black being a guest first and regular as a result of popularity make her exempt from the discussion? She was still in two sci-fi shows irrespective of how she was cast.

I know I am sounding a bit dickish in this post, but your response didn't clarify your original point at all
          I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Hiring Nathan Fillion would be the best thing that could happen to the Stargate world.

Dear God, you have my vote for Nathan. And HOW!

Comment

I'm sorry, I still don't get why him doing a similar role before would put them off from taking him on for this role. I could understand him not wanting to be typecast, but as he is a sci-fi fan, I doubt that is a problem. If anything it proves that he can play that kind of character. That is like saying you couldn't hire an actor to play a doctor because they have played a doctor before. Plus he could play a different type of leader - compare Hammond to Landry, both leaders, very different styles.
              I'm not sure exactly why I'm thinking what I am, but it's one of those things that just makes perfect sense inside your own head. Maybe it's something like people might expect to tune in to see him doing something different, and when they don't, they might end up thinking the entire series would be more of a rehash of what they've already seen, and won't want to watch.

And if Ben Browder is the exception, what is Robert Picardo? And why does an exception prove a rule? Also why does Claudia Black being a guest first and regular as a result of popularity make her exempt from the discussion? She was still in two sci-fi shows irrespective of how she was cast.
              Again, Robert Picardo, obviously well-known to sci-fi as a doctor, didn't come to SG-1 and Atlantis to be a doctor. He came in as a radically different character. Look, it's not that I think that sci-fi actors couldn't be in two different sci-fi shows. What I was suggesting is that this would be the case of an actor who goes from one show where he was popular for playing a character to another show where he's essentially the same character with a different name. And that maybe that would just be kind of... strange. Then again, I haven't seen any of Universe yet, obviously, so I can't exactly make that call if it's the same character or not, I'm just going by what I've read about the type of show it's supposed to be.

Exception vs. rule - just a phrase.

I know I am sounding a bit dickish in this post, but your response didn't clarify your original point at all
              No, I'm just not good at explaining what I'm thinking. Regardless, I concede. Tired, and have to work in the morning.

Comment

Nathan filmed a pilot for a TV drama called Castle earlier in the year, it's yet to be announced whether or not it will be picked up (we should hear next month) but it's likely that it will.

Universe would have my undying allegence if Nathan Fillion signed up and I'd love nothing more but I can't be hopeful about this one. I can't think of anyone more perfect for the role, Nathan does humour like a champion, but he also does everything else really well, he can play pure evil as well as he can romance - he's awesome - yup, big fan here ... he'd fit Stargate so well because he's just the right personality for it.

But, as I said, he's got this new show coming up - most likely and while he honestly loves the whole fandom thing, I'm not sure he'd do it - to do something like Stargate, as great and as strong a fan base it has, is almost a step back for him in terms of working in the industry - right now he's waiting on news of the pilot he filmed for ABC being picked up - and I think that's likely to get better ratings than anything sci-fi. He's also been working on a lot of movies the past couple of years including:

White Noise 2 (also known as White Noise the Light which is awesome!)
                Waitress with Kerri Russell
                Trucker - an Independent that got excellent reviews at the Tribeca Film Festival
                Chilled in Miami with Renee Zelwegger (due out in Jan)
                Wonder Woman animated DVD as the voice of Trevor (coincidentally alongside Kerri Russell)

And there's rumours of another movie he'll be working on in the near future and who knows what else he already has up his sleeve.

If there's a chance of it happening - I am 100% behind the idea, I could think of nothing better for Stargate than to have Nathan Fillion on board - nothing.

*goes off into dream land*

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with this. If Nathan Fillion is on board as a lead, then this show is going to do well.
                  These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Based on what?

In any case, I also doubt that Nathan Fillion would be the first choice simply because he already was the captain of a ship, leading man, in a sci-fi show. That was canceled.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be considered, I'm just pointing out that they probably would like to avoid that whole... whatever, if possible.
                    What makes you say that?
                    Based on the fact that big network shows are trying to cast him and that he's taking more film roles. In comparision neither Ben nor Claudia had any significant role between Farscape and SG1.

Comment

I've heard rumor that ABC wants him back for Desperate Housewives. If ABC wants to strike a talent deal with him then I highly doubt he'd be avaliable for SGU.

I doubt they'd cast him being that he's already a decently big name in the sci-fi world from headlining Firefly and Serenity.

Comment

Why would ABC want him back for Desperate Housewives when ABC already has him for his own new series?

In his favor as far as Stargate goes, there are a lot of fans of Firefly within the Stargate operation - probably why we've seen Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Jewel Staite...... and I think someone I'm forgetting - all appearing in Stargate at some point

Comment

Nathan Fillion stepping into the shows of a stargate lead character?

I'll take my hat off to that.
                          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Based on what?

In any case, I also doubt that Nathan Fillion would be the first choice simply because he already was the captain of a ship, leading man, in a sci-fi show. That was canceled.
                            Wasn't that the case with Ben Browder?
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Another Firefly actor to give the show the "kiss of death"? Oh, yes please!
                              This time... it's war!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                                Wasn't that the case with Ben Browder?
                                Farscape did 4 seasons Firefly did 1
                                A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Working...
                                X