This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VinceB View Post
    Obviously they do or BSG would not be popular.
    But it lasted less seasons than SGA and far lesser than the entire Stargate.
    Btw it sucked. Nothing to do with sci fi. It was sick all around.
    Spoiler:
    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
    (YEAR 0 - 100)
    "O thou Sun,
    send me as far over the earth
    as is my pleasure and thine,
    and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
    but never hear anything of bad ones,
    nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
      We have an expression here: "you don't honor my Cristhmas i won't honor your Easter" i hope it makes sense in english.
      They choose that show when the time to pick among the two came.
      They ignored the fans, the awards those fans gave them. The fact that if it wasn't for Atlantis the whole "franchise" woul've sunk long before.
      I choose not to watch, because they chose to ignore me so they could please a different kind of audience.
      It's simple ..
      A big ol fat DITTO!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
        I think I just figured out where our misunderstanding is coming from. Personally, I agree with you. I don't think soap opera and sci-fi should go into the same sentence. But Howe was talking about space opera, which is something else entirely. Here's the relevant quote from GW's article.

As I understand it, the term space opera refers to an epic type of story that takes place in space. Star Wars would be considered a space opera. That does not mean it is anything like soap operas, which are usually characterized by sappy romance and bad writing. Yes, I know, it's confusing. I've taken to calling shows that combine space opera with soap opera "space soaps." Which probably only increases the confusion.

When Howe talks about his hopes for SGU, he talks about character drama and intensity, which doesn't necessarily mean an excessive focus on the characters' romantic relationships. They can have plenty of character drama without having sappy romance.

When I first read the above quote, I was also worried about SGU becoming too much like BSG. But now that I've re-read it, Howe seems to go out of his way to say that Stargate will never be just like BSG. They might have some similarities, but as he points out, Stargate is not as dark, and relies heavily on action and humor. Those things aren't going to change. It also sounds like BW and RCC are willing to go to bat for us in order to keep the same humor and adventure aspects alive in the next Stargate show.

Actually, I just talked myself into being excited about SGU (when until now I've just been cautiously optimistic).
        He does have a way to hide the facts. He wouldn't go out to the people and say it clear. He had to use those words. What really happens is different.
        so facts:
        BSG ending at season 4( am i right?)
        SG1 movies don't go as well as expected , no matter what they say,
        SGA on the contrary goes better every year
        SGA movies are a nice idea for money, since SG1 is now to old to sell itself
        SGU can be a nice salad to please everybody. Both bsg and stargate fans.
        Everybody is happy yeaah....
        Noooooooooooo NO sci fi anymore.
        SGA had far to many stories to tell. It was on it's peak. That was a sloughter.
        Spoiler:
        APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
        (YEAR 0 - 100)
        "O thou Sun,
        nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

He does have a way to hide the facts. He wouldn't go out to the people and say it clear. He had to use those words. What really happens is different.
          so facts:
          yup

how so?

the numbers have improved, that is correct

huh? Aot and Continuum were pretty successful
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
            A big ol fat DITTO!!!
            translation plz
            what is dito?
            Spoiler:
            APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
            (YEAR 0 - 100)
            "O thou Sun,
            nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

translation plz
              what is dito?
              it means she agrees with your post
              sigpic

Comment

translation plz
                what is dito?
                Oh heh...Sorry....Yeah what jumper says...It means i agree
                sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Jumper_One;8841229]yup

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                  how so?
                  Don't tell me you're happy with them.... a lot of things they could have tell and they didn't.

the numbers have improved, that is correct
                  The quality to. If you weren't stuck to SG1 stereotypes you could've seen this.And since when numpers don't count to those people?

huh? Aot and Continuum were pretty successful
                  In america?only?Atlantis was Really successfull all around the world.
                  Spoiler:
                  APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                  (YEAR 0 - 100)
                  "O thou Sun,
                  nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

it means she agrees with your post
                    thnx ,
                    Spoiler:
                    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                    (YEAR 0 - 100)
                    "O thou Sun,
                    nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Don't tell me you're happy with them....
                      I enjoyed both movies

a lot of things they could have tell and they didn't.
                      yeah so?

The quality to.
                      agreed however that may only be your opinion while the improvement of the show's ratings is a fact

If you weren't stuck to SG1 stereotypes you could've seen this.
                      me

And since when numpers don't count to those people?
                      SCI FI or MGM?

In america?only?
                      yup, the numbers don't include international sales

Atlantis was Really successfull all around the world
                      AFIAK that's correct

thnx ,
                      you're welcome
                      sigpic

Comment

But it lasted less seasons than SGA and far lesser than the entire Stargate.
                        Btw it sucked. Nothing to do with sci fi. It was sick all around.
                        It ended cause they only planned for it to go 4 years. They already have one movie and are planning a 2nd and a prequel series.

And I agree it was more drama than Sci Fi, but it was still Sci Fi whether you liked it or not.

Comment

so facts:

SGU can be a nice salad to please everybody. Both bsg and stargate fans.
                          Everybody is happy yeaah....
                          Noooooooooooo NO sci fi anymore.
                          SGA had far to many stories to tell. It was on it's peak. That was a sloughter.
                          Fact: BSG is ending.
                          Fact: Atlantis was not renewed for season 6.
                          Fact: SGU has been approved for production in 2009.

Those are the facts. Everything else is opinions, or at best, possible interpretations of those facts. It may be your opinion that the SG-1 movies didn't do well, but as far as we know they are selling very well in the States. Now you raised a good point, since I have no idea how well they will sell overseas. We don't hear about those numbers (which I think is stupid, since Stargate is internationally known). But both movies did or will air in the UK and will now air on Sci-Fi, which means those TV networks paid for the rights to air them, therefore the movies make more money than from sales alone. So according to profits, they are probably doing well, especially since BW is writing a third movie. They wouldn't be doing that if the movies were doing poorly.

What I highlighted in blue... those are opinions, not facts. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, but that also means that other people have a right to disagree with those opinions. So I guess in this case, we should just agree to disagree.
                          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Look, the point is this.

Atlantis was canceled. A lot of fans of that show are pissed off. They knew it was going to piss some people off. But they could have made the show for 20 years and some people still would have been pissed off. I mean look at SG-1, it went 10 years and people were upset when it was canceled.

On the other hand, you'll hear just as many fans of SG-1 talk about how "SG-1 went too long. They should have ended it at season 8. I didn't like seasons 9 and 10." And yet season 8 there was a big ratings increase so they 'listened to the fans' and made two more years and while some people loved it, others hated it.

So MGM and Sci Fi are in a no win situation. They're going to either piss people off by making the show until they feel it's lost it's edge or they'll cancel it when it's still good so they can capitalize on the show in other forms. Either way someone will be pissed.

What does that have to do with Stargate Universe? In a perfect world, people will realize that one does not have to do with the other. In reality, the group that is pissed will rail against it just because they're pissed and have to blame someone cause they're pissed.

Comment

The quality to. If you weren't stuck to SG1 stereotypes you could've seen this.
                              me
                              No, Jumper, I think that comment was directed at me. If it was... well I'll take it. It doesn't bother me. I have preferences in what I watch, and I'm not going to deny that SG-1 fits my preferences better than Atlantis does.

Though, for the record, I do think Atlantis has been better this season (what we've seen of it) than it has for the past few years. I still think there are some problems with it, but on the whole, the writing seems to be improving.
                              Last edited by Khentkawes; 28 August 2008, 01:27 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
                              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Fact: Atlantis was not renewed for season 6.
                                correct but let's not forget that SGA's ratings have been improving, that's also a fact

No, Jumper, I think that comment was directed at me.
                                oh ok
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X