Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers

I look forward to seeing how the characters interact with each other.

And I hope Camille Wray is in a lot of episodes. Zelenka was recurring, but he was usually in about half a season each time, so there's hope.

I can't wait to find out more cast members.

Comment

I hate to say it, but before this past week I was getting a little excited about SGU, mostly because of the casting of Carlyle.
      But now, after reading the character descriptions, seeing who they have cast for the male leads (they seem to be good actors, though) and now this little bit of script, I am pretty much not excited anymore.

It all seems just a bit too dark and depressing for my taste.
      I get a "down" feeling from it all, which I don't really want as standard fare for my Friday night Stargate ep. One or two dark episodes are fine (the brilliant Vegas comes to mind), but I hope the entire show is a bit more uplifting.

Otherwise I'm just kinda "meh" about it all right now. I'd be hard put to say I will actually watch the first episode, and perhaps will wait to see what people here on Gateworld say about it first.
      But I am awaiting further news, maybe it will rekindle my interest.

Comment

I'm starting to get the impression that TPTB are attempting to model Rush after Gaius Baltar.

Just me?
        sigpic

Comment

I think its you

I hope not. Balter is the worst thing about BSG.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Baltar kicks ass!

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
              Baltar kicks ass!
              yes, but I didn't like his story line in 4.0, his cult
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                I'm starting to get the impression that TPTB are attempting to model Rush after Gaius Baltar.

Just me?
                I think his 'role' in the show will be similar, a Baltar/Dr. Smith type antagonist, but I think the character will definitley be unique.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                  yes, but I didn't like his story line in 4.0, his cult
                  Yeah, there's been better moments for his character than that.

I look forward to Dr. Nicholas Rush. Especially since his portrayer is so awesome. It seems a very good role for someone like Carlyle. Hopefully I won't be dissapointed

Comment

I read the sides. I'm still not sure what to think, even though I'll give it a chance. I'm generally not a fan of very dark things; I don't like BSG at all, and if that's their model, I might not enjoy this. But I'm sure I'll give the first handful of episodes a try.

Two things that would put me off of it though: I would be upset if they retcon SG1 in anyway that might take away from Sam or Daniel's achievements, if they do something that removes Jack-Sheps uniqueness regarding their genes, or does anything that might take away from some of Daniel's more unique experiences, like makes them less 'special to him' in a way. I'd also be a bit upset if it dwells so far from sci-fi that it's more of a relationship drama in space.

I still don't have a feel for the characters yet, with reading the descriptions or the sides. I don't know what to expect.
                    sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

I read the sides. I'm still not sure what to think, even though I'll give it a chance. I'm generally not a fan of very dark things; I don't like BSG at all, and if that's their model, I might not enjoy this. But I'm sure I'll give the first handful of episodes a try.

Two things that would put me off of it though: I would be upset if they retcon SG1 in anyway that might take away from Sam or Daniel's achievements, if they do something that removes Jack-Sheps uniqueness regarding their genes, or does anything that might take away from some of Daniel's more unique experiences, like makes them less 'special to him' in a way. I'd also be a bit upset if it dwells so far from sci-fi that it's more of a relationship drama in space.

I still don't have a feel for the characters yet, with reading the descriptions or the sides. I don't know what to expect.
                      I'd agree with pretty much all of this, but I think they know that it is the touch of humor and emphasis on adventure as opposed to drama that makes the franchise unique. That, and the Gate, of course. While they may lean a little more toward the character drama, I don't think they will go too far away from what draws fans right now and start entirely from scratch.

They have already taken away from the uniqueness of the ancient gene by giving the gene therapy such a high success rate, but that is probably just because of plot demands. They needed more people to fly those blasted puddlejumpers.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                        I'd agree with pretty much all of this, but I think they know that it is the touch of humor and emphasis on adventure as opposed to drama that makes the franchise unique. That, and the Gate, of course. While they may lean a little more toward the character drama, I don't think they will go too far away from what draws fans right now and start entirely from scratch.

They have already taken away from the uniqueness of the ancient gene by giving the gene therapy such a high success rate, but that is probably just because of plot demands. They needed more people to fly those blasted puddlejumpers.
                        As long as it IS a touch of humour... but then... I'm seeing the same level of humour in BSG S1 (just started watching) as I did in early SG1, at least S1-3, before we started getting the gags of S9 and 10...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

As long as it IS a touch of humour... but then... I'm seeing the same level of humour in BSG S1 (just started watching) as I did in early SG1, at least S1-3, before we started getting the gags of S9 and 10...
                          Humor in BSG? Perhaps I watched some particularly humorless and dark episodes when I gave it a try. The episodes I saw had no humor at all...

I'm absolutely not talking about the humor of seasons 9 and 10. No, no, no... Not at all. That was much too broad for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                            Humor in BSG? Perhaps I watched some particularly humorless and dark episodes when I gave it a try. The episodes I saw had no humor at all...
                            Oh, I don't know.

Baltar thinking he was going crazy with Six speaking to him in his head and his reactions to her and people's reactions to him when he was "talking" to someone they couldn't see....that made me chuckle more than few times.

And let's not forget the episode when The Towel first made its appearance.

:: flails ::
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, I don't know.

Baltar thinking he was going crazy with Six speaking to him in his head and his reactions to her and people's reactions to him when he was "talking" to someone they couldn't see....that made me chuckle more than few times.

And let's not forget the episode when The Towel first made its appearance.

:: flails ::
                              I guess I didn't see those. I only watched a few episodes and found the characters too dark for me. I guess there was more to it than I thought, but I just didn't like them enough to get that far.

Comment

I guess it's just one of those things where I really have to see it. I mean, on paper, Firefly might sound dark to me, plus the character descriptions are kind of cheesy. Yet I enjoyed the show, in spite of my burr-in-the-shorts reaction to Joss's writing. Might be the same way for this show.
                                sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

Working...
                                X