Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nuclear View Post
    Sounds a little like.. uffh.. what Stargate Infinity tried to do.

And I think it was kind of done with Atlantis too. Where they were stuck with no way of getting back in the first season. That worked though.

Oh, and Lost is only losing it's edge because they've dragged certain things on for too long. It just gets boring.
    that's it. It gets stuck in a rut.. On the other hand, changing things around keeps things fresh. Stargate has done that, no reason why the new show won't...
    http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
    sigpic
    My fics at my site
    Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
      well, let's not give lost all the credit, sopranos did the same thing...

anyways, what about in SGU the 9th chevron takes a military team/military expedition to a galaxy cluster elsewhere in the universe, away from earth, atlantis, and the ori goa'uld replicators ancients alterans asurans etc... and they find, instead, a galaxy vastly more populated than the milky way with races that freely and openly use the stargate network set up there by a faction of the alterans pre-ori split... and this galaxy has completely failed to be enslaved like the milky way was to the goa'uld, like pegasus is to the wraith?

in other words: more advanced than earth without a race of supervillainous beings... dominant anywhere... making us the technologically inferior race again, but this time inferior to EVERYONE... next problem: there is a collection of beings known as the "Keepers of the Gates" (sorry, no key masters... green to anyone who recognizes that) who monitor all gate travel in the galaxy (or cluster)... who are descended directly from the alterans... and the last of their kind as the rest of the alterans left to fight the wraith and the ori... the alterans also locked out Earth and Atlantis from the gates, in fact they locked out the milky way, pegasus, and the ori home galaxy... and they don't like us because we're intruding where we don't belong...

so we're stranded on the otherside of the universe, only way home is kept secret by descendants of the alterans... who, like half the other people in this galaxy, hate us for intruding in their neck of the woods... viewing us as far inferior beings not worthy of open gate travel and its benefits...

thankfully, though, the alterans are NOT referred to as ancients, and they are rarely if ever seen (bc frankly, bringing them to the forefront ruins some of the mystique about them and the mystique (like Wolverine's origin) is what makes them interesting and makes us want more...
      Yeah, i quite like that, and about not finding a way to bring in old earth mythology.. you dont need that really, the only old earth mythology in atlantis is atlantis itself, and even then its just a name.

by the way
      Spoiler:

Do i get my second ghostbusters related green from you now?
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        Yeah, i quite like that, and about not finding a way to bring in old earth mythology.. you dont need that really, the only old earth mythology in atlantis is atlantis itself, and even then its just a name.

by the way
        Spoiler:

Do i get my second ghostbusters related green from you now?
        yes, you would get green, but apparently i have to spread the love first

as for an earth myth/religion to use in "my" sgu... you can't do it... SG1 hit all the major mythologies:
        egyptian
        norse
        greco-roman
        arthurian
        asian
        celtic
        and they modeled the ori after medieval christianity "convert or burn in fire... and we hate the scientific approach"

the only major mythologies left are teutonic, babylonian, sumerian, mesopotamian, american indian, mayan, aztec, incan... but unfortunately, none of them are widely known enough to be attractive to the target audience... nor are any of them really "sexy" enough, and by "sexy" i do not mean sexual, but appealling enough to entice an audience...

SGU also can't really do another lost or mythical city as SG1 and SGA have done Avalon and Atlantis... and i believe heliopolis was mentioned in SG1 early on... that leaves cities like Shangri'la, Lemuria, Mu, Thule, etc... but how many people recognize them, especially the latter 3? not that many...

Atlantis also, i though, started to tap into the european folklore by adapting vampries into the Wraith... unfortunately, i was hoping for other alien races to pop up based on other folkloric creatures: werewolves, etc... but alas, no... though one can make an argument that the asurans are the frankenstein of atlantis - but smarter...

so SGU could adapt western literature into the fold, drawing on tales like Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, etc... or they could dive into the historical/mythological epics like Gilgamesh and Beowulf and perhaps make each season a parallel of an epic... like season 1 = gilgamesh, season 2 = beowulf, etc...

or...

the whole series can be based around the Iliad and the Odyssey... where the first few season are our arrival in the new galaxy cluster and our "war" with whom we encounter, and then the last few seasons are about our escape and journey home... both of course drawing heavy parallels to I and O (but maybe with completely original names)...

i think eliminating myths altogether and shifting over to lengthy parallels would be their best bet... it would definitely be different than both SG1 and SGA... and it would bring back that thing that SG1 has that SGA is missing: a unique approach to scifi that is bold, new, charming, and enticing...
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
          yes, you would get green, but apparently i have to spread the love first

as for an earth myth/religion to use in "my" sgu... you can't do it... SG1 hit all the major mythologies:
          egyptian
          norse
          greco-roman
          arthurian
          asian
          celtic
          and they modeled the ori after medieval christianity "convert or burn in fire... and we hate the scientific approach"

the only major mythologies left are teutonic, babylonian, sumerian, mesopotamian, american indian, mayan, aztec, incan... but unfortunately, none of them are widely known enough to be attractive to the target audience... nor are any of them really "sexy" enough, and by "sexy" i do not mean sexual, but appealling enough to entice an audience...

SGU also can't really do another lost or mythical city as SG1 and SGA have done Avalon and Atlantis... and i believe heliopolis was mentioned in SG1 early on... that leaves cities like Shangri'la, Lemuria, Mu, Thule, etc... but how many people recognize them, especially the latter 3? not that many...

Atlantis also, i though, started to tap into the european folklore by adapting vampries into the Wraith... unfortunately, i was hoping for other alien races to pop up based on other folkloric creatures: werewolves, etc... but alas, no... though one can make an argument that the asurans are the frankenstein of atlantis - but smarter...

so SGU could adapt western literature into the fold, drawing on tales like Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, etc... or they could dive into the historical/mythological epics like Gilgamesh and Beowulf and perhaps make each season a parallel of an epic... like season 1 = gilgamesh, season 2 = beowulf, etc...

or...

the whole series can be based around the Iliad and the Odyssey... where the first few season are our arrival in the new galaxy cluster and our "war" with whom we encounter, and then the last few seasons are about our escape and journey home... both of course drawing heavy parallels to I and O (but maybe with completely original names)...

i think eliminating myths altogether and shifting over to lengthy parallels would be their best bet... it would definitely be different than both SG1 and SGA... and it would bring back that thing that SG1 has that SGA is missing: a unique approach to scifi that is bold, new, charming, and enticing...
          babylonians have been done (fire and water and the curse) and so have the mayans (the crystal skull and evolution)

i think i like the iliad/odyssey idea (but i may be biased because Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos are some of my favourite sci fi books),
          what might be quite cool is if they did something where a bunch of humans have become quite advanced but are superficially still late 19th early 20th century, and have gained technology via the stargate. there is nothing cooler than victorian era science and technology, lots of brass and mahogany and stuff. (like frankenstien and the time machine etc)
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

The new show should be about a total new race that we encounters after the Ori threath is over, and Daniel Jackson goes along to explore the wastness of space and its secrets that the Asgards was hiding!

The Norseman

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              babylonians have been done (fire and water and the curse) and so have the mayans (the crystal skull and evolution)

i think i like the iliad/odyssey idea (but i may be biased because Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos are some of my favourite sci fi books),
              what might be quite cool is if they did something where a bunch of humans have become quite advanced but are superficially still late 19th early 20th century, and have gained technology via the stargate. there is nothing cooler than victorian era science and technology, lots of brass and mahogany and stuff. (like frankenstien and the time machine etc)
              The American Indians were also done in Spirits where the SGC first encountered Trinium.
              "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
              Mark Twain

Daniel Jackson and Sam Carter are the kinds of nerds I want to be.

Comment

lol @ everyone saying the name sounds bad....

1. Bad name does not mean bad show
                2. SG-1,Atlantis....there plain names as well
                3. Its a work in progress so its most likely to be changed
                sigpic

Comment

i was thinking of an area 51 series about trying to get stuff the teams brought back working and adapting into out own technology.

Comment

Originally posted by maximusvii View Post
                    i was thinking of an area 51 series about trying to get stuff the teams brought back working and adapting into out own technology.
                    that sounds incredibly boring no offense
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge300491 View Post
                      that sounds incredibly boring no offense
                      indeed
                      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

The ninth chevron is the key to an adress that leads to an planet far out in the universe. The planet is in the center of the universe and in orbit of this planet is an space station. This station was used by an powerfull and highly advanced civilazation that brought all life and races togheter. This beacon of hope is what this new theme of explorere is reaching for.

I know my writing is bad, but just an idea!

The Norseman

Comment

Originally posted by HolyGhost View Post
                          The ninth chevron is the key to an adress that leads to an planet far out in the universe. The planet is in the center of the universe and in orbit of this planet is an space station. This station was used by an powerfull and highly advanced civilazation that brought all life and races togheter. This beacon of hope is what this new theme of explorere is reaching for.

I know my writing is bad, but just an idea!

The Norseman
                          so you sort of mean it is a place built a long time ago, before even the ancients were around, and its sort of a place that there is no way to get there until you are sufficiently advanced enough and perhaps curious enough to get there? and once you are you deserve your place there?
                          it sounds similar in a way to something i am reading at the moment, it probably isn't really but it's just fresh in my mind, about a place where a super advanced race is guarding, and keeping tabs on, the expansion of the black hole at the centre of the galaxy to prevent it destroying the galaxy, and any race they meet that is advanced enough to help them out gets to join in, and get access to stuff.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

I was just watching Redemption and thinking Rya'c could be a potential member for SGU...

Perhaps while Teal'c is busy with Jaffa affairs, Rya'c chooses to follow his fathers footsteps and join the Tauri....

Fits the team dynamic for a super tough alien guy...

Thoughts?

Comment

no, other than the gate and a few scenes at sgc at the beginning it should be all new
                              sigpic
                              EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                              -Liberty Prime

Comment

He's appeared in a couple more episodes of SG than Mckay 3 or 4? did, and less than Weir...

So while he would be a familiar face he would be new still and could be interesting to develop. It would be interesting to see what Bra'tac has been teaching him all these years.

Comment

Working...
                                X