Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we were talking more about cultural evolution, and cultural diversity, but increased population does increase gene pool size, and genetic diversity, however you need ease of access between colonies for that to actually have any positive affect. ie, until a few hundered years ago there was very little access between continents and that is what caused the evolution of different races. (caucasian, african, oriental, central asian, aborigianal, native american, polynesian, native south american, inuit, arab, etc)
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

IMO a show about a new colony could deffinitely be interesting. My only fear with that it might start getting repetitive after a while if they just start running to different versions of the same kinds of problems over and over again.

Comment

i love the idea of colonizing on a new planet. and the good thing about bringing people to colonize a new planet with a new SGC would mean that it would be public as they would need to know about the Stargate Program to get them there.

This could be a great idea with a new galaxy, new characters, new enemies, new adventures.

bring on SGU

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
          well, TPTB did revolutionize scifi and fantasy by reinterpreting ancient human mythologies.... though they've done nothing with that on Atlantis...
          Except with the existence of Atlantis itself.

In this next series, I also hope they stick with the Earth mythology thing...though the Goa'uld really spanned a lot of earth's mythologies already. They haven't really delved into Christian, Jewish, or Muslim mythologies, but I doubt they'll go there.
          sigpic
          FOX Network

Comment

Don't forget that in "Unending" the Asgard gave them everything, their technology, their whole history. With that information alone it the Universe is opened up to them, as the Asgard had Intergalactic Hyperdrive engines on their ships.

Comment

Originally posted by feanor View Post
              Don't forget that in "Unending" the Asgard gave them everything, their technology, their whole history. With that information alone it the Universe is opened up to them, as the Asgard had Intergalactic Hyperdrive engines on their ships.
              oh thats good i like that idea maybe a new galaxy or something to do with saving the whole universe.
              Yeahsureyoubetcha

Comment

i was thinking, they said its going to be different in format to sg1 and sga. what if there is no base to set out from. Like nomadic travellers , maybe even running from something. The whole lost in space thing, but on foot and going stargate to stargate.

Comment

that would be a good idea.
                  Either getting trapped in another galaxy whilst using asgard "faulty" technology (the use of faulty is that we dont know how to use it fully yet)
                  and then having to find a way home by going from one gate to another etc. that would be an amazing series.
                  Would also keep it separate from SG1 and SGA as there will be no possible way of characters from the SGC of getting to "them" as they wont know where "they" are.

Also we've never had the story where a team have had to scrap together resources to survive etc maybe whilst also running from an enemy.

Comment

it would also explain the title. Universe, open to exploration and travel.

Comment

Originally posted by maximusvii View Post
                      it would also explain the title. Universe, open to exploration and travel.
                      I wonder if they'll stick with a four person team? Its a nice size.
                      Yeahsureyoubetcha

Comment

well if there stranded in another galaxy then i doubt they'd limit it to four people. it would get rather boring.
                        I'm sure there would be a sizeable team possibly a portion of the crew onboard one of the X-304's.
                        Also im sure keeping with continuity of the Stargate show im sure they will add members to the team from indigenous surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by kane_cam View Post
                          I wonder if they'll stick with a four person team? Its a nice size.
                          4 is a good size eh? i guess 6 would be huge then?

uhthank-you

uhm... let's do away with the whole Star Trek Voyager genre: stranded and trying to get home...

moving on... what sucks is that they can't really delve into earthen mythologies anymore as SG1 took care of all the major ones (egypt, greek/roman, british, norse)... that's part of what made SG1 awesome... i mean think about it... remember when they were on that planet and activated Thor's Hammer? i mean THOR!!! and then the ASGARD!!! how f'ing awesome what that? its a little overdone now, and sadly nothing's left to use in SGU except modern day religions and they are defs not going to do that... well... Origin is obviously based on middle ages christianity (convert or burn etc)...

i do not like the idea either of galaxy hopping to save the universe... that's too much, too big... it'd make SGA seem like a walk in the park... now a galaxy cluster would not be too bad... but the whole universe? hmm...
                          Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                          Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                          Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                          Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

the lost in space Saga sounds to much like Star Trek Voyager trying to get somewhere and bang their Hyper drives are dead, no way back home around 75years with Sunlight and full Asgard core to get back(include a ZPM that they've found because they can't make one yet even with Asgard knowledge since Asgard can't make them themselves.) They discover that the ancient have been already in this part of the universe and they try to find a device that will aid them to create new hyper drives or a way to travel faster so they can traverse it quicker. Sounds alot like Star Trek Voyager to me IMHO. What you think?

sigpic

Comment

i never suggested that they should be lost in a ship. then it really wouldnt have any thing to do with the stargate would it? if they were lost on foot through the stargate, it has potential for some new storylines. trying to get food, weapons, shelter. being real scavengers. Its better than the other suggestions of colonies, cos that was already done before with atalantis and apparently universe is suposed to be really different. The only other suggestion i have is that we are looking at the stargates from the perspective of another people or race. like an alien races use of the stargate.

Comment

i've only skip read through the last page, so i don't know if this scenario has been done already (or a variation)...

the asgard helped the sgc to create a new ship - the bounty - and while testing it out with new recruits, mitchell goes along and helps out and offers advice. OF COURSE something happens , and the ship is thrown far off (it would take about 5 or so years to get home). the most senior staff dies in the incident, leaving mitchell the highest ranking officer. he's now in charge of 20ish-aged something recruits.

they're trying to find stargates as reference points to pilot their way home faster, but in doing so, the ship picks up the attention of some creatures that are following the bounty from stargate to stargate.

mitchell ends up not only commanding the ship, but mentoring most of his crew. since he's been with sg1, he's learned a thing or two (understatement).

i'd really like to see a scenario where mitchell isn't overwhelmed with how much more experienced everyone is then him. with sg1, even vala seemed to know more in certain areas. mitchell deserves to shine on his own, and i think he'd make a wonderful commander and mentor.

oh, they pick up two or three olderish ppl (in their 30s and 40s) along the way so mitchell has someone to identify with. oh, and of course, he needs a love interest.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X