Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis was a Spin off like DS9 was a Spin off to Next Generation.

I think it will be a "seperate entity" like Voyager was seperate to the other ones.
    In the same realm, and universe, but totally seperate, unique, and unrelated.

Anyone ever think the Title: "Stargate Universe"

Is based on fan mantra?

like:
    The Star Wars Universe, the BSG Universe, the Stargate Universe, the Star Trek Universe.

So the title means it takes place in that same realm, and same time as the other shows, but is unrelated to any specific event (trying to find Atlantis, or Rodney being a jerk), but rather larger events: "Orii have devestated the galaxy" "Goa'uld are shreaded" "Jaffa are in chaos".

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
      Atlantis was a Spin off like DS9 was a Spin off to Next Generation.

I think it will be a "seperate entity" like Voyager was seperate to the other ones.
      In the same realm, and universe, but totally seperate, unique, and unrelated.

Anyone ever think the Title: "Stargate Universe"

Is based on fan mantra?

like:
      The Star Wars Universe, the BSG Universe, the Stargate Universe, the Star Trek Universe.

So the title means it takes place in that same realm, and same time as the other shows, but is unrelated to any specific event (trying to find Atlantis, or Rodney being a jerk), but rather larger events: "Orii have devestated the galaxy" "Goa'uld are shreaded" "Jaffa are in chaos".
      Having established a Universe, with it's own rules there are many ways the programme could move on, without copying SG1

Consider Star Trek for a moment. Of the series we had

1. Ship on muli-year year mission travels stars (TOS)

2. Ship on multi-year year mission travels stars (TNG)

3. Starbase. Ship stays in one place, while others travel to it (DS9)

4. Ship gets lost, spends multi-years getting back (STV)

6. Ship- on multi-year mission. Travels stars (Enterprise)

Geddit!

Put simply without the change of cast 5 of those could have been the same programme!

A new series is a chance to shake things up a bit, but to play around in something which is familiar. I always thought (and still do) that Paramount made a big mistake with Enterprise, they should of started 5 minutes after Star Trek: First Contact finished. Instead they jumped 100 years and created a clone of TNG!

The makers of Stargate Universe have a simular opportunity. We started 10 something years ago with a Universe dominated by a parasitic creature. We ended it with the fragments of a Jaffa Nation trying to rebuild, with the Earth a and it's allies, the scattered remains of Jaffa armies some who have turned to crime without any leadership.

What I'd like to see is either the IOC heading a rebuilding of a federation within the existing (Milky Way), or to be original turn it on it's head and concentrate on the rebuilding of the Jaffa Nation. Perhaps helping some of the communities ravaged by their former masters.

That would leave enough of a familiar environment but be sufficiently different to the original series, and Atlantis.

Comment

Well, it’s hard to speculate when we don’t know what’s going on with the 9th chevron… ideally, 7 for star to star, 8 for galaxy to galaxy, 9 = multiverse to multiverse… since a universe implies 1… anyways, grammatical semantics aside…

Star Trek, as pointed out, with the exception of DS9 is a repetitive franchise: 4 series about interstellar ships and their crews… ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are very similar in that they’re land-based, base-based series wherein the Tau’ri step through the gate and encounter a technologically superior race who, thanks to our presence, learns of Earth/Atlantis and views us as a threat. Our awakening of each race leads to a galactic war with us at the center seemingly unable to win. The only differences between SG-1 and SGA are: MW vs Pegasus. Military vs Civilian. Wraith vs Goa’uld.

If TPTB were smart, they would make SGU completely different than SG1 and SGA in order to avoid going the route of Star Trek, which would only annoy the fans and piss some of us off…

I imagine, that with SGU dealing with the universe, the series becomes not interstellar in nature, but perhaps intergalactic, with us (the main characters) dealing with stuff going on in different galaxies, or races who’ve come to dominate whole galaxies instead of fractions of individual ones… that would definitely crease a “universal” setting… the 9th chevron could deal with different sectors of the universe by way of tapping into different gate networks…

Imagine this: the 7-digit gate address is your seven digit phone number, connecting two phones within the same area code. The 8-digit address connects your phone to a phone in another area code. The 9-digit address connects your phone to a phone in another country. All on the same planet, but all in different geographical locations… With the gates it would mean all in the same universe, just in different sections... Remember, space is theorized to be curved and possibly donut shaped. The 9th chevron could divide space into octants.

Imagine Earth and its hemispheres: north, south, east west. It has 8 octants as a result:
        Northeast from 0-180 E longitude
        Northeast from 180-0 W longitude
        Northwest from 0-180 E longitude
        Northwest from 180-0 W longitude
        Southeast from 0-180 E longitude
        Southeast from 180-0 W longitude
        Southwest from 0-180 E longitude
        Southwest from 180-0 W longitude

You can divide a curved, donut-shaped space into 8 similar parts, as evidenced by the attached graphic (each color outlined section is an octant. 2 of them are not visible).

Perhaps there are only 8 chevrons that can be used as the 9th chevron, and that will determine which octant of our universe you will travel to.
        Attached Files
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

I'm going to really really really miss Stargate. After X-Files was getting lame and almost ending, Stargate showed up and I watched it every week. All these years watching a good show, seeing the characters come into shape, good story lines and just making my hectic week better. I'm sad to see it go. I'll be getting all the DVD box-sets but still, no more shows on Friday. I have Atlantis to look forward to but, that may end after Season 4. DAMN!! Battlestar is ending after next season and that's it for Sci-Fi. No more Star Treks, Stargates or Battlestar. Is this the end of Sci-Fi that I have loved to watch and grow with? Who knows what the next best Sci-Fi show but, nothing is going to come close to those three shows. Thank you and good night.

Comment

Originally posted by teflonrobg View Post
            I'm going to really really really miss Stargate. After X-Files was getting lame and almost ending, Stargate showed up and I watched it every week. All these years watching a good show, seeing the characters come into shape, good story lines and just making my hectic week better. I'm sad to see it go. I'll be getting all the DVD box-sets but still, no more shows on Friday. I have Atlantis to look forward to but, that may end after Season 4. DAMN!! Battlestar is ending after next season and that's it for Sci-Fi. No more Star Treks, Stargates or Battlestar. Is this the end of Sci-Fi that I have loved to watch and grow with? Who knows what the next best Sci-Fi show but, nothing is going to come close to those three shows. Thank you and good night.

You're aware, of course, that you just posted in a thread about a Stargate show that hasn't even begun yet?

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Nobody owns a thread. Deal with it.
              I know that but I started it!!!!! I talked to Darren and gateworld automatically joins threads together!!!!! I was really proud that I got this sticky and all cos this one is going to get really really big
              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Im excited because ive gotten so used to two shows i dont know what id do without both. This is awesome because its expanded the stargate universe.

I dont really understand people who are like " omg the title is so corny the shows gonna suk" They probably just did that so we would have no idea what the show would be about. Wait for plot details b4 u get all jumpy.

Anything that has the word stargate by it(minus infinity that just doesnt count) is amazing.

:
                sigpic

Comment

whats this i hear about atlantis being cancelled after season 4?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                    whats this i hear about atlantis being cancelled after season 4?

Nothing.

It's just scared people worrying.

But in all honesty, Season 4 MIGHT be the end. It all hinges on how well the back half of season 3 does in the ratings. Let's stay optimistic though! :-D

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

and by back half you mean all the episodes that just aired, right?

frankly with
                      Spoiler:
                      sam joining atlantis, the city flying away and coming back, us inheriting asgard tech, etc etc...
                      there are certainly much more options opening up for atlantis story-wise...

personally, i would like to see the Wraith and Genii brought into the fold with the Asurans as follows:

we're at war with the Asurans
                      the Genii go to war with the Wraith
                      the Wraith find out the Genii gained a lot of their weaponry from us so they go to war with us
                      the subroutine in the Asurans to fight the wraith is activated
                      we declare war on the Genii bc they brought the Wraith back to us

so now you got the following:

We (atlantis) are fighting the Asurans and the Wraith and the Genii
                      The Wraith are fighting us, the Asurans, and the Genii
                      The Asurans are fighting us and the Wraith
                      And the Genii are fighting us and the Wraith

DAMN

of course, the Asurans and the Genii could ally seeing as how they're both fighting the Wraith and us... we and the wraith refuse to ally with each other

so now you've got, collectively the following:

Asurans-Genii vs Wraith vs Atlantis...

Comment

Why would the Asurans want to ally with the Genii? Laden and crew have even less to offer than we do! Besides, the Asurans don't want anything to do with humanity, if I was Laden I wouldn't trust the Asurans as far as I could throw an elephant!
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                          Why would the Asurans want to ally with the Genii? Laden and crew have even less to offer than we do! Besides, the Asurans don't want anything to do with humanity, if I was Laden I wouldn't trust the Asurans as far as I could throw an elephant!
                          well, maybe ally was too strong a word... but you remember the saying "an enemy's enemy is my friend?" it's also easier to sneak a Genii spy into atlantis than an Asuran as Asurans are not human.........

also

there is such a thing called a Non-Agression Pact like the one Germany signed with Japan during WWII....

Comment

well, maybe ally was too strong a word... but you remember the saying "an enemy's enemy is my friend?" it's also easier to sneak a Genii spy into atlantis than an Asuran as Asurans are not human.........

also

there is such a thing called a Non-Agression Pact like the one Germany signed with Japan during WWII....
                            But the Genii aren't our enemy...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              But the Genii aren't our enemy...
                              since when? personally, regardless of what agreement(s) weir has worked out with them, i certainly do/would not trust them...

Comment

since when? personally, regardless of what agreement(s) weir has worked out with them, i certainly do/would not trust them...
                                Since Ladon's coup.

Comment

Working...
                                X