Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
    'Stargate: Universe' Influenced More By 'Firefly' Than 'Battlestar'

http://airlockalpha.com/news/6551/st...attlestar.html
    Well, I'll say that this is probably one of the more informative reports on the SDCC panel that I've read so far. It definitely clears up a few things (and how!) and makes em wonder about certain other things.

Spoiler:
    Huffman liked knowing that her character had an affair with her superior and now had to live with those consequences. In their fish-bowl existence, it is the constant white elephant in the room and it forces her to be vulnerable and to deal with the repercussions of her actions. Thus, she finds it a challenge and joy to be able to sculpt her character.
    Oh boy...

You know how everyone has those pesky moral codes and usually a particular something in it that is just simply unforgivable? Yeah, infidelity is it for me. Despite some people harping on about "reasons" and "mistakes", I've never been able to accept that.

With that in mind, I'm curious to see how TPTB will get me to actually like this character and Young's....if in fact the superior is Young. Given what we've seen in the trailers. it may just very well be.
    Ming-Na said she loved the fact that while her character is initially perceived as a troublemaker, she has a good heart and truly cares for others and believes she is acting in their best interests. She also understands that people want to justify what they do, and that no matter what they do or how it is perceived, if they feel it is right, they are going to do it anyway. After all, she said, "no one decides to be evil.
    Finally! A member of the IOA that's not being written as a complete imbecile!

And I find her last comment curious. A hint at things to come for Camille Wray?

Probably one of the more unique characters on the show, harkening back to the old "Last Starfighter" days, is one played by David Blue...
    Really? A computer genius/slacker...is unique? And if that's not the uniqueness the reporter was referring to then I'd like to see what the writers have in store to make him so different.

Matthew Scott was left out. This makes me sad.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
      Well, I'll say that this is probably one of the more informative reports on the SDCC panel that I've read so far. It definitely clears up a few things (and how!) and makes em wonder about certain other things.

Spoiler:

Oh boy...

You know how everyone has those pesky moral codes and usually a particular something in it that is just simply unforgivable? Yeah, infidelity is it for me. Despite some people harping on about "reasons" and "mistakes", I've never been able to accept that.

With that in mind, I'm curious to see how TPTB will get me to actually like this character and Young's....if in fact the superior is Young. Given what we've seen in the trailers. it may just very well be.

Finally! A member of the IOA that's not being written as a complete imbecile!

And I find her last comment curious. A hint at things to come for Camille Wray?

Really? A computer genius/slacker...is unique? And if that's not the uniqueness the reporter was referring to then I'd like to see what the writers have in store to make him so different.

I agree with ya!
      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Oh boy...

Spoiler:
        Maybe she will be one of the characters you love to hate. You know one of those people where you just can not support their actions but love watching them do it. Remember when I said Aliana's character was uninteresting to me. Well I take that back. This sounds like a great angle to take a character especially if the superior is Young.

Spoiler:
        Spoiler:
        I would like to see the uniqueness in how they approached things. In all rights Carter and McKay was geniuses and really knew how to approah things. I say Eli uniqueness is how he approaches scientific problems due to his slacker nature.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
        Maybe he is one of the characters that dies early on
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Spoiler:
          I would like to see the uniqueness in how they approached things. In all rights Carter and McKay was geniuses and really knew how to approah things. I say Eli uniqueness is how he approaches scientific problems due to his slacker nature.
          Spoiler:
          I think I may have reached my saturation point when it comes to scientific genius characters. I'm more interested in seeing how normal, average people approach life-or-death situations than how a genius does. But that's just me maybe.

Spoiler:
          Maybe he is one of the characters that dies early on

I doubt this. I doubt this muchly!
          sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
            I think I may have reached my saturation point when it comes to scientific genius characters. I'm more interested in seeing how normal, average people approach life-or-death situations than how a genius does. But that's just me maybe.

I would be so pissed if that happened!!!
            sigpic

Comment

New pics up on Getty Images from Comic Con. There are a few of the SGU cast as well.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...entId=89190841

Someone want to let me know if they find them without the watermarks? I'll give you a cookie.
              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                Spoiler:
                I think we are both sick of how the Stargate genius approaches things. But you can't deny that the very nature of the franchise warrents a physics mind or everyone would die. At least for me I am satsified with someone being approached differently. It has yet to be seen how much a genius Eli is but as long as he can't pull things out of thin air like other mundane characters I think it will be good. To be fair I think compared to other characters we don't know that much.

Are you sure that is not rabid fangirl Pandora talking?

I dare the writers to do this. They want to be dark and edgy. What is more edgy then killing off a main character after the first few episodes. All that said the chances are this happening are close to zero.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

New pics up on Getty Images from Comic Con. There are a few of the SGU cast as well.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...entId=89190841

Someone want to let me know if they find them without the watermarks? I'll give you a cookie.
                  Awesome! Thanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    I think we are both sick of how the Stargate genius approaches things. But you can't deny that the very nature of the franchise warrents a physics mind or everyone would die. At least for me I am satsified with someone being approached differently. It has yet to be seen how much a genius Eli is but as long as he can't pull things out of thin air like other mundane characters I think it will be good. To be fair I think compared to other characters we don't know that much.
                    Spoiler:
                    This is true, we don't know as much about him aside from the fact that he apparently solves some uber hard puzzle inside a video game implanted there by the American military.

....UGH!

Okay, so in lieu of getting pissed off about his genius, I've decided to approach it from a different angle altogether. What if he doesn't know? What if he's not an educated genius like Carter or McKay? Which isn't to say that they weren't naturally supremely intelligent, but they also fed that intelligence with years of schooling and study. What if Eli's just got his natural gift of intelligence to work with and not all the physics and math related know how that Carter or McKay had?

That could maybe be different in that he's forced to learn more while at the same time being both the smartest guy on the Destiny and kind of the "dumbest" with regard to how much he knows about the Stargate, wormholes, etc...

Are you sure that is not rabid fangirl Pandora talking?

I dare the writers to do this. They want to be dark and edgy. What is more edgy then killing off a main character after the first few episodes. All that said the chances are this happening are close to zero.
                    He's just too pretty. They'd never let him die.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      I would be so pissed if that happened!!!
                      Me three!!

Comment

Spoiler:
                        This is true, we don't know as much about him aside from the fact that he apparently solves some uber hard puzzle inside a video game implanted there by the American military.

....UGH!

Okay, so in lieu of getting pissed off about his genius, I've decided to approach it from a different angle altogether. What if he doesn't know? What if he's not an educated genius like Carter or McKay? Which isn't to say that they weren't naturally supremely intelligent, but they also fed that intelligence with years of schooling and study. What if Eli's just got his natural gift of intelligence to work with and not all the physics and math related know how that Carter or McKay had?

That could maybe be different in that he's forced to learn more while at the same time being both the smartest guy on the Destiny and kind of the "dumbest" with regard to how much he knows about the Stargate, wormholes, etc...

This (the bolded bit, at least) seems to be the case, given what David Blue says in the character profile on the MGM site.
                        sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And thier in lies the interesting fact. What kind of puzzle did he solve. Their are various kinds of inteligence and the schools test so many of those. A nice turn would be for Eli to have a inteligence that isn't the society norm

He's just too pretty. They'd never let him die.

Forget this. You are too hypnotized to listen to any arguement about the pros and cons of killing off Scott
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Spoiler:

And thier in lies the interesting fact. What kind of puzzle did he solve. Their are various kinds of inteligence and the schools test so many of those. A nice turn would be for Eli to have a inteligence that isn't the society norm
                            Spoiler:

Hmmm....like some sort of super deductive power thing? Or an ability to see patterns?

That reminds me of something....

Forget this. You are too hypnotized to listen to any arguement about the pros and cons of killing off Scott
                            By the muscles? Yes, the muscles are very hypnotic. Watch how they ripple...

And you clearly missed the Firefly reference.

:: iz sad ::
                            sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

That reminds me of something....
                              Spoiler:
                              I bet it not forum approiate and if it isn't PM because I'm intriguied. I like the deductive approach. We haven't seen this kind of inteligence. Someone who can see the subilities is a rare inteligence IMO

By the muscles? Yes, the muscles are very hypnotic. Watch how they ripple...

They ripple? I hadn't notice. I was too busy watching something else
                              And you clearly missed the Firefly reference.

:: iz sad ::
                              Don't be sad. That will make me sad
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Haha wow, what a bad weekend to be gone. Just caught up with the interesting conversations that went on here.

Also, are we still waiting on the comic con panel video to be released?
                                Sig by Pandora's Box
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X