Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Well, there was the time when he was kind of a jerkass to Chaya and the whole religious beliefs of her people. Then again, maybe it's his disdain for, uh...shall we say..."primitive" religions like those while he does indeed believe in a higher power himself.
    Well if I say follow Religion A I usually don't believe in Religion B or C. Most people are of tolerent of other people's beliefs even those they disagree. But McKay is McKay and tolerence is not one of his strong attributes
    I mean, I can be a pretty big jerkass to certain religious people (not particularly proud of this facet of my personality, by the way), but I'm not an atheist; I'm agnostic.
    If it was evangelist or Jehovanas Witnesses I don't blame you. Even when I follow the same religion they annoy me.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
      It never was stated explicitly, but I would like to point out that while Carter turned to God (or so I think, I can't remember very well) when she was dying, McKay never did in neither Tao of Rodney nor The Shrine. Telling?
      Perhaps. In fact, the thing I remember from the post I saw here was someone saying that Rodney calls himself an atheist in Tao of Rodney. I checked the transcript before I brought the point up though, and it's not there. Oh, and I don't remember Carter exactly turning to God. She expressed a desire to want to believe but she couldn't...or something. I guess that's sort of like that.

In any case, it doesn't matter to any extent like I said. The real test will be the execution of religiousness, non-religiousness, faith, etc...

I, for one, am looking forward to it
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

Fence sitter.

Joking! Don't kill me!

It never was stated explicitly, but I would like to point out that while Carter turned to God (or so I think, I can't remember very well) when she was dying, McKay never did in neither Tao of Rodney nor The Shrine. Telling?
        Hmmm...perhaps.

What interest me during those episodes was that Rodney was afraid of death and the end in general (end of life, end of his mental state); if he believed in a higher power, would he also believe in life after death? If so, then he wouldn't be afraid of death since "death is just the beginning".

I mean, I'm not sure how religious people think of these things since I'm not one of them, but this is what I think.

Comment

What interest me during those episodes was that Rodney was afraid of death and the end in general (end of life, end of his mental state); if he believed in a higher power, would he also believe in life after death? If so, then he wouldn't be afraid of death since "death is just the beginning".
          Unless he thought it was going to be the beginning of some hellish experience 'cause he didn't warrant heaven, but I doubt it. Knowing Rodney, he was probably lamenting the world's loss of his genius and all that he wouldn't be able to give it after he died.

And I'm only half joking.
          sigpic

Comment

so wat does everyone think of the Destiny?we finally got an image of it on the gateworld main page!

Comment

I'm a little dissappointed that the first exterior shot of the Destiny has the hyperspace blue-light w/e it is around it. It's not really a good angle to show the dimensions of the ship either.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Spoiler:
                I don't know how I'd feel about him being all religious and whatnot if I'm going to be thunking him.
                It's a little jarring at first. You (in general) kinda have to take a step back and realize there's not really any context given yet.

Spoiler:
                Although, I do wonder what in the world that would be doing in the middle of the desert. Or if it's just a hallucination of some sort.
                Spoiler:
                It's probably an illusion or a "dream" - It might actually be him.
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                  On a slightly-related note...I saw once on this board that someone said Rodney McKay was an atheist? Did he ever say this, or was it more of an implied thing? I don't care whether or not he is, but if he was (and open about it on the show), it'd be another good example of how TPTB can have openly religion or non-religious characters while not coming off preachy.
                  I always assumed he was an Atheist but it's never really been stated specifically. I'm basing that on the line:

"...it's a religion, and a pretty silly one at that."

I don't remember what episode that's from. I think it was 'Childhood's End'

Comment

Unless he thought it was going to be the beginning of some hellish experience 'cause he didn't warrant heaven, but I doubt it. Knowing Rodney, he was probably lamenting the world's loss of his genius and all that he wouldn't be able to give it after he died.

And I'm only half joking.
                    Clearly.

Right, the Destiny. I am hungry for more angles, that's for sure; until then, I'm not sure what to make of it. That said, I love the details on it, and the fact that it's big at the front and tapers off in the back is definitely a departure for Stargate; then again, I've noticed that ships in Stargate always tends to be pretty unique in terms of SciFi ships anyway.

All I know is, I will need to create it in Lego as soon as possible so I can play with it and act like a 5 year old.

Oh, and that shot of the people looking out of the observation room is pretty damn epic; it looks like it came right out of a big budget Sci-Fi movie.

Comment

Clearly.

Right, the Destiny. I am hungry for more angles, that's for sure; until then, I'm not sure what to make of it.
                      I agree. Man, I want to see videos of the clips that the people at Comic Con are seeing/going to see

Oh, and that shot of the people looking out of the observation room is pretty damn epic; it looks like it came right out of a big budget Sci-Fi movie.
                      I totally agree! It's interesting, and I didn't even think of that being a possible set for the Destiny. Interesting scenes can come out of a set like that

[EDIT] Also, hooray for actual discussions! Nice to see again
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Ooh, the first exterior pic. Sweeet!

I've never seen the stargate franchise as being against the free expression of any real Earth religious beliefs, nor have I seen it try to establish any specific real religion as true. Both of these observations seem to be quite sensible courses of action for the kind of show it is. (The kinda funny thing is how the Bible is brought up a few times without being put in a negative light, even though Stargate's fictional history is clearly not in agreement with literal Biblical history. But no one really seems to think about that on the show. Anyhow, it's way off topic and I don't want to start an argument.)
                        Spoiler:
                        I can't help but hope Lt. Scott isn't Catholic. (Just because I was thinking the other week that they seem to be portrayed more often in these sorts of cases than Protestants are.)
                        And Shan: I thought that thunking was supposed to be based solely on appearance, at least that's what I remember reading a few times waaaay back in this thread.
                        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

So many things to discuss, so many posts I didn't hit the multi-quote button for...

Religion... Rodney? I doubt it and in fact I hope not. He's a physicist and it simply astonishes me that a physicist can possibly even be religious. :shakes head: A conversation for another place though.

Scott? If he's religious, then just what is he doing in that
                          Spoiler:
                          pic with Chloe???
                          Seriously though, maybe the
                          Spoiler:
                          vision is just a mirage that is triggered by some long forgotten childhood experience and the crumbling to his knees thing is just his wishing he could go home/the terrible reality of their situation/fear of mortality...

The Destiny... I think it looks fab
                          Last edited by Lahela; 22 July 2009, 10:38 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

From EW:-

Question: So, what exactly will you be doing during your virgin Comic-Con voyage? --DamonAusiello: You mean when I'm not riding around the convention floor in the Pope's bulletproof jitney? I'll be holed up in Entertainment Weekly's ultra swanky (or so they tell me!) suite interviewing lots of famous TV people on camera. The resulting video will then be quickly uploaded to the blog you're currently reading, so check back often. But first do me a solid and send me some really smart questions to ask the folks listed below via [email protected]. Oh, and as for the 75 of you coming to my very first Aushole gathering tonight, I can't wait for you to tell me how much thinner I am in person to meet you!

Kristen Bell
                            Michael C. Hall/Dexter
                            Lucy Lawless/Spartacus
                            Jim Caviezel/The Prisoner
                            Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku/Dollhouse
                            David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel/Bones
                            Big Bang Theory cast
                            24 cast
                            Stargate Universe cast
                            True Blood cast
                            V cast
                            Vampire Diaies cast
                            Chuck cast

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/07/...-and-more.html

So Ausiello is going to interview some of the SGU cast, i wonder how long he can go with out snark???

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                              it simply astonishes me that a physicist can possibly even be religious.
                              Huh? How does being a scientist studying the behavior of the universe and that sort of thing exclude someone from being 'religious'? And I suppose you've never heard of Isaac Newton.

Scott? If he's religious, then just what is he doing in that
                              Spoiler:
                              pic with Chloe???
                              What does it look like?
                              Spoiler:
                              I suppose he doesn't subscribe to any of the religions that believe in capital punishment for kissing. LOL!
                              The Destiny... I think it looks fab
                              Yep, it sure does!
                              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                                Huh? How does being a scientist studying the behavior of the universe and that sort of thing exclude someone from being 'religious'? And I suppose you've never heard of Isaac Newton.
                                Like I said, a conversation for another place

And a really silly question... what is a "practical puddle"?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X