Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heliosphere View Post
    I read the sides. I'm still not sure what to think, even though I'll give it a chance. I'm generally not a fan of very dark things; I don't like BSG at all, and if that's their model, I might not enjoy this. But I'm sure I'll give the first handful of episodes a try.

Two things that would put me off of it though: I would be upset if they retcon SG1 in anyway that might take away from Sam or Daniel's achievements, if they do something that removes Jack-Sheps uniqueness regarding their genes, or does anything that might take away from some of Daniel's more unique experiences, like makes them less 'special to him' in a way. I'd also be a bit upset if it dwells so far from sci-fi that it's more of a relationship drama in space.

I still don't have a feel for the characters yet, with reading the descriptions or the sides. I don't know what to expect.
    according to Joe
    [...] Now given that some of you have started comparing SGU to existing shows on the basis of what little information has been released thus far, I thought it might be a good idea to help paint a clearer picture of the show. And so, to those of you looking for standing comparisons, Iā€™d say more Lost than Battlestar, more Dr. Who than Heroes, more The Office than My Name Is Earl.
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...niverse-day-7/
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
      Humor in BSG? Perhaps I watched some particularly humorless and dark episodes when I gave it a try. The episodes I saw had no humor at all...

I'm absolutely not talking about the humor of seasons 9 and 10. No, no, no... Not at all. That was much too broad for my taste.
      The sort of humour that you would actually find in every day life, jokes shared between people, things that are funny when they really shouldn't be...

To take the mini series as an example, when the XO was talking to the CO about being punched by one of their pilots, and the following dialogue occurs.

CO: You did throw over the table first.
      XO: I did not! .... unless I did.
      CO: You did.

That, is humour. It's not in your face. But it's humour, and imo, very much like the S1-5 humour of SG1.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        The sort of humour that you would actually find in every day life, jokes shared between people, things that are funny when they really shouldn't be...

To take the mini series as an example, when the XO was talking to the CO about being punched by one of their pilots, and the following dialogue occurs.

CO: You did throw over the table first.
        XO: I did not! .... unless I did.
        CO: You did.
        Or...

Apollo: So, what's the charge this time?
        Starbuck: Mmm. Striking a superior a-hole.
        Apollo: Ahh. I bet you've been waiting all day to say that one.
        Starbuck: Most of the afternoon, yeah.

Or the card game scene before that.

It's not completely devoid of humour, but the humour you do find is everyday stuff. Stuff you might actually hear people say to each other. It's not like Gilmore-Girls-fast-talking-they-only-talk-that-way-cause-it's-scripted stuff.

I don't mind that kind of humour.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
          Or...

Apollo: So, what's the charge this time?
          Starbuck: Mmm. Striking a superior a-hole.
          Apollo: Ahh. I bet you've been waiting all day to say that one.
          Starbuck: Most of the afternoon, yeah.

Or the card game scene before that.

It's not completely devoid of humour, but the humour you do find is everyday stuff. Stuff you might actually hear people say to each other. It's not like Gilmore-Girls-fast-talking-they-only-talk-that-way-cause-it's-scripted stuff.

I don't mind that kind of humour.
          Yep. And to be honest... it's my favourite kind of humour. Not forced, natural, totally believable and doesn't detract from the drama. Not to get off topic, but S9 and 10 of Sg1 strayed away from that and became more focused on specific gags - usually where Vala is concerned unfortunatly. I sincerely hope SGU sees a return to this natural humour.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

from GW's interview with Andy Mikita
            GW: So you're going to be directing episodes for Universe, you'd imagine?

AM: Yes, I'm hoping to be able to do so.
            I'm here. I'm a "lifer" with Stargate. As long as they're happy to keep having me I will continue to show up to work. There's no other place I'd rather be. It's such a wonderful group of people to work with. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else or wanting to be anywhere else, quite frankly.

GW: Have you heard of any slots open to you for Universe yet?

AM: We're putting together the schedule now. That's all getting put into place. We're hoping to have all the familiar faces back and perhaps some new ones as well. That's still a work in progress and the network will be involved to a certain extent with approving the director's list. Brad and Rob of course will be taking a stab at that. So we'll see.

Hopefully in the very, very near future we'll have the line-up in place and we'll be able to let that cat out of the bag. I'm sure it's going to be most of the people that we're familiar in seeing in the franchise.

GW: Yeah, you don't need to fix anything that's not broken, Andy.

AM: Yeah, exactly. I think we're all on the same page in that respect. We are hoping to give the new show a little bit of a new flavor visually, not that we feel badly about anything we've done in the past. We're of course very proud of everything that we've done in the past.

GW: Oh of course, but you still need to shake it up.

AM: We still need to shake it up a little bit. I think this is a good opportunity to do just that. I think in an effort to help expand upon our current fan base, I think mixing things up a little bit will be a healthy thing to do.
            http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...r_part_1.shtml
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post

Thank you, Jumper!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post

Yeah, thanks for posting that.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

In Joseph Mallozzi's blog update for Jan 19 '09, he posts a photo of Rob Cooper and Carl Binder...standing in what could be an interior corridor of the Destiny from SGU.

(Please follow the link to view the photo in its original format.)

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Yep. And to be honest... it's my favourite kind of humour. Not forced, natural, totally believable and doesn't detract from the drama. Not to get off topic, but S9 and 10 of Sg1 strayed away from that and became more focused on specific gags - usually where Vala is concerned unfortunatly. I sincerely hope SGU sees a return to this natural humour.
                    The example didn't help that much I'm afraid, as I didn't see Those scenes. I think it must be in the delivery.
                    I wouldn't really call the humor in seasons prior to 9 and 10, natural, or day-to-day. It was more pointed than that, just not as overt as the humor in 9 and 10. It was much more witty and the sarcasm didn't have the bitter edge that it went to in 9 and 10, but there were out and out jokes. They were just so beautifully delivered that it seemed natural.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                      In Joseph Mallozzi's blog update for Jan 19 '09, he posts a photo of Rob Cooper and Carl Binder...standing in what could be an interior corridor of the Destiny from SGU.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...per-binder.jpg

(Please follow the link to view the photo in its original format.)
                      Liking the looks of it so far!
                      Last edited by GateGipsy; 19 January 2009, 03:23 AM.
                      sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I highly doubt the UK will get the premiere before the US. I believe SKy usually doesn't air Stargat until fall as well
                        Here's a helpful suggestion: find out WHO is producing this show and find out what potential non-USA-broadcast sales plans they have. Example: Farscape was actually produced down in Australia and that company sold its broadcast rights to whomever would pay. The Sci Fi Channel got the rights to North America (including Canada). I believe it was one of the BBC channels that acquired the rights for the UK. The Sci Fi Channel would broadcast all but the final four episodes for each season. Then they would have a two-month (or longer) hiatus and then air the final four of the season. Then they would have ANOTHER length hiatus before starting the next season of Farscape. BBC suffered from no such whatever-reasoning that the Sci Fi Channel and would air the season straight through. So, if it is a USA-based company (such as Sci Fi or someone they contract), then the USA might get all episodes first. Then again, maybe not.

Anyway, there's a possible way to find a possible answer.
                        Do as you see fit.

Comment

MGM produces the show for Sci Fi, they get to premier the show, the only way Sky One in the UK or any other channel outside the US will broadcast episodes before Sci Fi is if Sci Fi have some sort of hiatus and the other channels don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            MGM produces the show for Sci Fi, they get to premier the show, the only way Sky One in the UK or any other channel outside the US will broadcast episodes before Sci Fi is if Sci Fi have some sort of hiatus and the other channels don't.
                            I believe that has happen before when Sci-fi took a three month break and the UK didn't. I believe that they ended the season a couple of days ahead of the US.

Comment

Small update from Rob Cooper's Q&A at Joe's Blog:

Lee writes: ā€œ[...] Finally, I was wondering if there are any plans to use similar scripting, filming methods and popular music choices in the making of SGU?ā€

RC: [...] Universe will not follow the style of Vegas but it will most definitely be much different than previous Stargate series. The shooting style and use of more contemporary music are part of what will hopefully make Universe stand out.
                              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                Small update from Rob Cooper's Q&A at Joe's Blog:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/
                                Sweet! Thanks for bringing that to our attention PG15!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                                X