Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackson2009 View Post
    You can try to watch S.G.U. first show and how you like it.
    Right now all I really care about is

Spoiler:
    what's going to happen to Todd

SGU won't answer that question.
    sigpic

Comment

everybody is complaining about the title but to be honest i always thought stargate atlantis was a bad title too.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
        Yes it is.

Why do you feel that it is minus the awesome? Are you planning on watching the show? And if you don't feel that it is 'awesome', why are you going to watch the show?
        I will most likely check it out. I just really really like Lost in Space. Stargate Universe seems to have a similar plot, but I can't see it being nearly as awesome as the first 5 episodes of Lost in Space.

But then sometimes I get the impression from here that many think Stargate Universe will suck because it is like Lost in Space. I must counter this by saying something about how awesome Lost in Space is. I think the concept of Lost in Space is awesome. The only reason I have doubts about the show is the writers.

And I don't necessarily watch something because I think it will be awesome. I'm a loyal fan of Stargate. I think Stargate has been pretty awful lately, but I'm still loyal to the franchise. I'll watch it to the end.

Comment

Originally posted by crowmagnumman View Post
          Except minus the awesome.

Is that snark?
          Ha ha, not at all!
          sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Originally posted by _Ancients_ View Post
            Ha ha, not at all!
            Excellent.

Comment

Well its too Generic. If it has No Connection to the Others, but has a Stargate, well, How can it Really be Not Connected to the Original Storyline of "Well we have a Stargate we found in Egpyt and we travel throughout the Universe". Its perhaps to Undefined.
              Besides when you find out the Real Truth about your very own Reality, you are going to Realize that Truth is indeed Stranger than Fiction, and you will find out very soon. We are not alone.

Comment

I know this has been discussed to death here, or rather in the casting thread. But I was just thinking. I know a lot of us seem to prefer older characters. Even many of us, like myself, that are 20 or younger. I didn't really realize it until now, but I better understand now why it is I like characters that are older than me. Younger characters can be fine, but maybe they are too similar to myself. In escapist tv, I like to have adult characters that I can look up to. So then I can say to myself, I'm gonna be like so-and-so when I'm that age. Anybody else see it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by crowmagnumman View Post
                  I know this has been discussed to death here, or rather in the casting thread. But I was just thinking. I know a lot of us seem to prefer older characters. Even many of us, like myself, that are 20 or younger. I didn't really realize it until now, but I better understand now why it is I like characters that are older than me. Younger characters can be fine, but maybe they are too similar to myself. In escapist tv, I like to have adult characters that I can look up to. So then I can say to myself, I'm gonna be like so-and-so when I'm that age. Anybody else see it this way?
                  Maybe in other shows perhaps - but this is Stargate: Universe. The 25-30 year olds in this series are going to be in the USAF or scientists or diplomats and are dealing with alien technology so in that regard I have nothing in common with them. When their off-ship and on Earth with their feet on the ground surrounded by things I recognise - then I'd start seeing the similarities. The escapism begins for me when they're on their ship or on an alien world...and in Stargate that's a frequent thing so the escapism is right there from the start for me.

But...at the same time...these characters are 21st century guys and gals so as in the previous two series they might use Earth TV trivia to compare alien things like Jack O'Neill comparing the Goa'uld to Mr. Burns from The Simpsons and that helps us the viewers find a grounding with these characters and also serve to remind us that this isn't Star Trek and these people aren't 24th century "supermen" who live to 137. Their normal men and women who do a unique job in unique circumstances and get paid for it.

That's what drew me in to this franchise in the first place - it takes place in the here and now. I can relate to these characters and find common ground with them but I can also find escapism with them when their off-world doing their extraordinary jobs. It really is the best of both worlds with this franchise and that's why I'd chose Stargate over Star Trek any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                  K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    Maybe in other shows perhaps - but this is Stargate: Universe. The 25-30 year olds in this series are going to be in the USAF or scientists or diplomats and are dealing with alien technology so in that regard I have nothing in common with them. When their off-ship and on Earth with their feet on the ground surrounded by things I recognise - then I'd start seeing the similarities. The escapism begins for me when they're on their ship or on an alien world...and in Stargate that's a frequent thing so the escapism is right there from the start for me.

But...at the same time...these characters are 21st century guys and gals so as in the previous two series they might use Earth TV trivia to compare alien things like Jack O'Neill comparing the Goa'uld to Mr. Burns from The Simpsons and that helps us the viewers find a grounding with these characters and also serve to remind us that this isn't Star Trek and these people aren't 24th century "supermen" who live to 137. Their normal men and women who do a unique job in unique circumstances and get paid for it.

That's what drew me in to this franchise in the first place - it takes place in the here and now. I can relate to these characters and find common ground with them but I can also find escapism with them when their off-world doing their extraordinary jobs. It really is the best of both worlds with this franchise and that's why I'd chose Stargate over Star Trek any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
                    I agree Alan. Same here when it comes to the escapism. I enjoy visiting each new plant with SG1 and Atlantis's team. And look forward to joing this new team on their adventures in brand new Universes.

As for Star Trek. I have been watching the various shows and movies since I was twelve. And even though they have always been entertaining, and I wish certain technology could exist (example transporters) today. I know that it is make believe, and not real time.

Where is Stargate is set in the here in now. As you said Alan, things like Jack's love of "The Simpsons", makes me feel right at home (I love "The Simpsons" too)!! And can't wait to see what will happen next!!
                    MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                    MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                    POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                    CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                    GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                    VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                    FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                      I agree Alan. Same here when it comes to the escapism. I enjoy visiting each new plant with SG1 and Atlantis's team. And look forward to joing this new team on their adventures in brand new Universes.

As for Star Trek. I have been watching the various shows and movies since I was twelve. And even though they have always been entertaining, and I wish certain technology could exist (example transporters) today. I know that it is make believe, and not real time.

Where is Stargate is set in the here in now. As you said Alan, things like Jack's love of "The Simpsons", makes me feel right at home (I love "The Simpsons" too)!! And can't wait to see what will happen next!!
                      Even though in Atlantis, every damn planet looked the same.

I don't understand how people get the idea that Stargate shows a "possible" future or that it's set in the here and now. Maybe it's just the shoddy writing in Atlantis recently, but I never felt that the way characters interacted were natural or that their progression of technology was realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by thevarrior View Post

I don't understand how people get the idea that Stargate shows a "possible" future or that it's set in the here and now. Maybe it's just the shoddy writing in Atlantis recently, but I never felt that the way characters interacted were natural or that their progression of technology was realistic.
                        The bits that I always liked best in Atlantis were those that involved 302s, 304s and usually, non main cast military officers. Whilst it was still futuristic - it was still believable in part (though I much prefer the 303 for realism purposes).

One of my favourite scenes was S2's Intruder with Landry, Caldwell and Weir sitting around the SGC briefing table - it was Caldwell's USAF uniform and sweater that particularly made it memorable, the very fact he was ACTUALLY wearing proper uniform was fantastic. Made it a lot more real for me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thevarrior View Post

Absolutely. While I liked Atlantis, I felt it just didn't compare favourably to SG-1 because there was too little 'real world' stuff (even the uniforms looked too sci-fi) and they quickly ended up using technology that's thousands of years ahead of their natural level with no problems, and not even a sense of wonder or awe for the most part. The somewhat unusual mix of present day realism (or near realism) with outlandish science fiction not normally seen outside of Star Trek or other deep space sci-fi was and is such an important part of Stargate I think that's why SGA never really reached it's true potential, for me at least. I'm hoping that SGU will go some way to rectify this, but based on the premise, I doubt it. I'll still give it a shot, seeing as the rest is starting to sound good.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                          Whilst it was still futuristic - it was still believable in part (though I much prefer the 303 for realism purposes).

One of my favourite scenes was S2's Intruder with Landry, Caldwell and Weir sitting around the SGC briefing table - it was Caldwell's USAF uniform and sweater that particularly made it memorable, the very fact he was ACTUALLY wearing proper uniform was fantastic. Made it a lot more real for me.
                          I agree. Atlantis definitely needed more of this IMO - and I think I know what you mean regarding the 303. The 304 looks good, but to me much less believable - too many sci-fi influences, where the 303 felt more like a logical progression from current technology.

I don't know if anything of this nature might find its way into SGU, but I hope so.
                          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I hope S.G.U. is good as SG-1 and SGA. Summer 2009 is not far from now!. Any questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                              Absolutely. While I liked Atlantis, I felt it just didn't compare favourably to SG-1 because there was too little 'real world' stuff (even the uniforms looked too sci-fi) and they quickly ended up using technology that's thousands of years ahead of their natural level with no problems, and not even a sense of wonder or awe for the most part. The somewhat unusual mix of present day realism (or near realism) with outlandish science fiction not normally seen outside of Star Trek or other deep space sci-fi was and is such an important part of Stargate I think that's why SGA never really reached it's true potential, for me at least. I'm hoping that SGU will go some way to rectify this, but based on the premise, I doubt it. I'll still give it a shot, seeing as the rest is starting to sound good.

I agree. Atlantis definitely needed more of this IMO - and I think I know what you mean regarding the 303. The 304 looks good, but to me much less believable - too many sci-fi influences, where the 303 felt more like a logical progression from current technology.

I don't know if anything of this nature might find its way into SGU, but I hope so.
                              Indeed, I saw a few pics of 'Prometheus' the other day (the ep), and God... it's so much more realistic. You can ACTUALLY believe it's a brand new, prototype, one of it's kind, entirely earth made ship. It looks clunky, it's crap in battle, and... I don't know. I love Prommie, and to me, it didn't feel like it changed the Gateverse in any way. We STILL had to rely on Stargates.

The Daedalus class ships though? Not my cup of tea.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I feel the 304 progressed quite naturally from the 303. Two pretty large hangars that make it deserving of its "carrier" title, a more streamlined appearance with the island on top, missile tubes towards the bow. It seems like a combination of aircraft carriers and submarines and it looks just right. The Prommie was reverse engineered. It was humans trying to recreate a miniature Asgard ship, with Goa'uld tech. The 304 is distinctly militaristic in its appearance and just looks right. Humans building their own ship, incorporating alien technology.

Comment

Working...
                                X