Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i want to know how... if the Colonel is a REGULAR CAST MEMBER... the Lieutenant gets pushed into a leadership role right away...

one would think that it means the Colonel gets clipped a la Colonel Sumner... but being a REGULAR would negate that

unless...

the LT becomes the leader of the field team while the COL remains on the Destiny as Commander, Destiny Base (like Landry)
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

so... how do we audition?
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
        i want to know how... if the Colonel is a REGULAR CAST MEMBER... the Lieutenant gets pushed into a leadership role right away...

one would think that it means the Colonel gets clipped a la Colonel Sumner... but being a REGULAR would negate that

unless...

the LT becomes the leader of the field team while the COL remains on the Destiny as Commander, Destiny Base (like Landry)
        Or like some one suggested, there could be one group that gets left behind and travels the Stargate system in one of the galaxies while the main group stays on the ship. The group that's left behind could be lead by the Lt.

Perfecto!

Comment

Since when did 'bringing Stargate into the late 2000s' require practically no one being over the age of 25?

...Because I have it on somewhat reliable authority from a proven source that there are people above the age of 25 in 2008.
          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

so... how do we audition?
            I'm assuming that one goes to Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
              The series currently exists in the form of a one-page treatment of the story and characters, with the title Stargate Universe, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.
              How long has this project been in the works, by the way? Have they been planning it since SG1 was on it's last legs or did this come around during SGA or what?

Regarding The Casting Call & A Frank Message To The Creators:

Dear Powers That Be, I have been recently mortified by the casting call posted on Gateworld. I'm sure you're all very competent people who know what you're doing, but I must quip. As an unproduced freelance screenwriter with a project of my own in the works, and fan of SG1, specifically, a jaded fan who observed Stargate SG1 tumble into a peculiar 7th season oblivion, I swore to myself that if I could, I would do everything in my power, whether as a writer or as one of your many fickle fans, to somehow avert a disastrous Stargate spinoff. This franchise is the best thing invented since the Good'n Plenty and I know that the third spinoff could really be something wonderful and powerful and longlasting just like a Now And Later...if the proper care is taken with it. Please don't hurry to get this thing on air. The fans will know if you've taken your time with it and developed the story and it's characters. A TV series is like a garden. You've got to tend it, even when all you see is dirt. There is something under that dirt. Something beautiful.

Now, regarding the posted character bios...I have just a few comments. take out your pens and pads please.

Tamara Jon (oh please change her name) has probably the most potential and originality of the characters listed. She 's inexperienced but of course she's going to grow out of that and live up to her potential, isn't she. Her ego isn't floating her away on a bubble of delusion. On paper, she sounds honest and determined. I like that very much. I'd call up Grace Park, its about time she donned the BDU's again.

Let me be seethingly blunt. Eli Hitchcock has GOT to go. Another I'm-So-Jewish-I-Eat-Brisket-With-No-Greens, Yo socially inept slacker genius!whiz!smartass? The fandom does NOT need. On Live Journal I suggested an alternative: "a dubious looking, spunky but shy female computer programmer with no professional credentials but mad skillz with the lil' grey cells when it comes to helping to save the day." A suggestion, take it as you wish. But the shows gratuitous techie definitely needs work. (May I suggest the name Jazzy Malone? Yes? No?)

I'm very concerned about this Ron "Psycho" Stasiak. He's a Gary Stu (male Mary Sue) and not a very good one. On paper, he just doesn't sound very likeable, and worst of all, he's cookie-cutter. Gee, WHERE have I heard of a tougher-than-nails-mysterious-protective-Marine-with-'tude before? Um...there's one in almost every Sci Fi film in creation? If we REALLY need a tough guy, please give him some personality. Do something new with the concept. He can't be tough all the time or he'll be impossible for viewers, let alone the other characters, to truly bond with. He can be protective, but why can't he also be vulnerable? Let him be protected sometimes. Superman had kryptonite, give "Psycho" a weakness. Not necessarily an Achilles heel...but something that will really jack up his emotions. Give him a reason to be protective and to fight. Maybe he couldn't save someone and he's been over-compensating ever since. Maybe he killed the wrong people in a war. Maybe he got betrayed. (The betrayed soldier is ALWAYS a hit!) Don't just make him tough for the sake of it. Don't make him the Marine that Always Represents, HOO-RAH. It's passe. Let him be a strong man, but don't make him an ass. There's nothing worse than the typecasted tough-guy military ass.

I don't understand who this Chloe Carpenter is or what her purpose is. What is her skillset? Or is she just eye candy? Nothing worse than a dead weight in space. All that makeup she'll need for the upkeep of her sexy exterior will add unneeded pounds to the cargo, making her and her wares a quick candidate for ejection out of the airlock. Either turn her into the telekenetic empath that everyone thinks is certifiable until she saves everyone by proving that the hot alien female that stopped by to bring resources and cheer is really the keeper of a traveling intergalactic space zoo looking for live specimens, OR replace her with Janina Gavankar as Dusty Mehra.

Or bring Janina on anyway. Dusty was badass and a lot of fun.

Colonel Everett Young. Hmm. What about going the Star Trek Voyager way and doing a little gender transplanting? Assuming there is a woman existing in the world who has even a smidgen of RDA's wit, charm and handsomness, couldn't the series do something new and make the leader of the team an older female? Or if that's too women's lib-ey, get a guy who was probably Colonel Kurtz in another life. (Or just re-name the character Kurtz...it will be a hit of blessed irony with people who get the implication, trust me)

Lt. Jared Nash. He reads very nondescript. Unless he has a secret past that he doesn't recall as a member of a covert psychological operations team, what's with the Jason Bourne comparison? When in space, his cuteness won't save him.

Another thing...not everyone has to be good...an off the latch leader is always interesting because he gives his team a delimma and a reason to band together. Or maybe the one most unlikely team member gets out of control. The weirder, and more unpredictable the predicament, the better. This is SCIENCE fiction.

And PLEASE don't direct this one towards the kiddies. Please. I beg of you. There's ALREADY a cartoon for them. Don't dismiss the demographic that's gotten the fandom this far. Don't dismiss the women or the 40ies on up. They like TV too. And put some oomph in this show. Don't be afraid of a little D&D (as I call it, Drama and Dynamite! )

Sincerely, From a Nosey Fan,
              Osiris-Ra

P.S., I'm extremely ready and willing to collaborate on this. I won't even ask for a paycheck, I'll just sit in the writing room and write up episode loglines. Interested? Call me!
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA View Post
                How long has this project been in the works, by the way? Have they been planning it since SG1 was on it's last legs or did this come around during SGA or what?

Dear Powers That Be, I have been recently mortified by the casting call posted on Gateworld. I'm sure you're all very competent people who know what you're doing, but I must quip. As an unproduced freelance screenwriter with a project of my own in the works, and fan of SG1, specifically, a jaded fan who observed Stargate SG1 tumble into a peculiar 7th season oblivion, I swore to myself that if I could, I would do everything in my power, whether as a writer or as one of your many fickle fans, to somehow avert a disastrous Stargate spinoff. This franchise is the best thing invented since the Good'n Plenty and I know that the third spinoff could really be something wonderful and powerful and longlasting just like a Now And Later...if the proper care is taken with it. Please don't hurry to get this thing on air. The fans will know if you've taken your time with it and developed the story and it's characters. A TV series is like a garden. You've got to tend it, even when all you see is dirt. There is something under that dirt. Something beautiful.

Now, regarding the posted character bios...I have just a few comments. take out your pens and pads please.

Tamara Jon (oh please change her name) has probably the most potential and originality of the characters listed. She 's inexperienced but of course she's going to grow out of that and live up to her potential, isn't she. Her ego isn't floating her away on a bubble of delusion. On paper, she sounds honest and determined. I like that very much. I'd call up Grace Park, its about time she donned the BDU's again.

Let me be seethingly blunt. Eli Hitchcock has GOT to go. Another I'm-So-Jewish-I-Eat-Brisket-With-No-Greens, Yo socially inept slacker genius!whiz!smartass? The fandom does NOT need. On Live Journal I suggested an alternative: "a dubious looking, spunky but shy female computer programmer with no professional credentials but mad skillz with the lil' grey cells when it comes to helping to save the day." A suggestion, take it as you wish. But the shows gratuitous techie definitely needs work. (May I suggest the name Jazzy Malone? Yes? No?)

I'm very concerned about this Ron "Psycho" Stasiak. He's a Gary Stu (male Mary Sue) and not a very good one. On paper, he just doesn't sound very likeable, and worst of all, he's cookie-cutter. Gee, WHERE have I heard of a tougher-than-nails-mysterious-protective-Marine-with-'tude before? Um...there's one in almost every Sci Fi film in creation? If we REALLY need a tough guy, please give him some personality. Do something new with the concept. He can't be tough all the time or he'll be impossible for viewers, let alone the other characters, to truly bond with. He can be protective, but why can't he also be vulnerable? Let him be protected sometimes. Superman had kryptonite, give "Psycho" a weakness. Not necessarily an Achilles heel...but something that will really jack up his emotions. Give him a reason to be protective and to fight. Maybe he couldn't save someone and he's been over-compensating ever since. Maybe he killed the wrong people in a war. Maybe he got betrayed. (The betrayed soldier is ALWAYS a hit!) Don't just make him tough for the sake of it. Don't make him the Marine that Always Represents, HOO-RAH. It's passe. Let him be a strong man, but don't make him an ass. There's nothing worse than the typecasted tough-guy military ass.

I don't understand who this Chloe Carpenter is or what her purpose is. What is her skillset? Or is she just eye candy? Nothing worse than a dead weight in space. All that makeup she'll need for the upkeep of her sexy exterior will add unneeded pounds to the cargo, making her and her wares a quick candidate for ejection out of the airlock. Either turn her into the telekenetic empath that everyone thinks is certifiable until she saves everyone by proving that the hot alien female that stopped by to bring resources and cheer is really the keeper of a traveling intergalactic space zoo looking for live specimens, OR replace her with Janina Gavankar as Dusty Mehra.

Colonel Everett Young. Hmm. What about going the Star Trek Voyager way and doing a little gender transplanting? Assuming there is a woman existing in the world who has even a smidgen of RDA's wit, charm and handsomness, couldn't the series do something new and make the leader of the team an older female? Or if that's too women's lib-ey, get a guy who was probably Colonel Kurtz in another life. (Or just re-name the character Kurtz...it will be a hit of blessed irony with people who get the implication, trust me)

Lt. Jared Nash. He reads very nondescript. Unless he has a secret past that he doesn't recall as a member of a covert psychological operations team, what's with the Jason Bourne comparison? When in space, his cuteness won't save him.

Another thing...not everyone has to be good...an off the latch leader is always interesting because he gives his team a delimma and a reason to band together. Or maybe the one most unlikely team member gets out of control. The weirder, and more unpredictable the predicament, the better. This is SCIENCE fiction.

And PLEASE don't direct this one towards the kiddies. Please. I beg of you. There's ALREADY a cartoon for them. Don't dismiss the demographic that's gotten the fandom this far. Don't dismiss the women or the 40ies on up. They like TV too. And put some oomph in this show. Don't be afraid of a little D&D (as I call it, Drama and Dynamite! )

Osiris-Ra

P.S., I'm extremely ready and willing to collaborate on this. I won't even ask for a paycheck, I'll just sit in the writing room and write up episode loglines. Interested? Call me!
                Some intresting ideas you have there

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA View Post

Osiris-Ra

Very interesting INDEED!!!
                  Patricia Lee

Comment

unless...

That seems like it. Perhaps the person/people who would normally lead the field team or function as second-in-command get killed. Leadership position doesn't necessarily mean The Boss.

Comment

Darren:-
                      The series currently exists in the form of a one-page treatment of the story and characters, with the title Stargate Universe, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.
                      Not exactly as I envisioned the story setting, action or casting.

As for 'party girl Chloe' after reading the premise that is on MGM Stargate Universe page, I thought she might be one of the first to get left behind, but coming over here to the casting call page, I find she's to be a series regular.

I bet 6 lime jelly snakes that she's blonde!! But nothing like Carter. Or Keller!!

Comment

I've just read the casting 'rumour' on GW's front page. That's an embarrassing string of cliches. Please be a spoof. Please.
                        Last edited by scarimor; 17 September 2008, 11:21 PM.
                        scarimor

Comment

Face palm, Face palm, Face Palm, Face Palm.

20-25 years old OMG, what are they thinking, I guess that spoof vid was quite accurate on what SGU character are going to be like . My hopes for this show have further diminished.

I can say Good luck for this show, I doubt it will last very long, and it R.I.P Stargate and Sci Fi, it been nice knowing you.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                            I've just read the casting 'rumour' on GW's front page. That's an embarrassing string of cliches. Please be a spoof. Please.
                            Word.
                            And further words fail me.

Comment

i hope thay dont mean set in this era as in present day earth tech

Comment

I cant imagine a worse set of characters. They are just so archtype and overused. Its like they have sat round a table and gone "lets throw action action man with barbie and ken, Get nurse joy on a field trip from Jonto and shove them together on a ship and hope it draws in the kids"

My god how dumb are they? Im not usually anti much, but this series should flop because it it doesnt we are all retarded in watching it. Either they will have to cast and write in a completely different league to SG1 and SGA in order to make these guys even mediocre or they have to bin this and do something worthwhile with thier time. I cant believe they think this is what people want to watch???!!!
                                sigpic
                                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                                Stargate : Genesis |
                                Original Starship DesignThread
                                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X