Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amconway View Post
    Well said! I couldn't agree more.
    green for you then
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Lol! I tried to green you when I responded to your post, but I have to spread it around first!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
        you do understand that the reason he's "generic" and "bland" is that he has not been developed at all, right?
        No. That's not the reason at all, if it were then every other character that has lacked development would be like that too. He's a nothing character, we know how he's going to react to any situation because like I've said, he's just a generic soldier who does what he's told has has little to no personality, not interesting in the slightest, Kavan Smith brings absolutely nothing to the role either. The only way to make Lorne interesting would be to either recast him or change his character beyond recognition, either way it would probably better to just create a new character instead of trying to salvage something from the Lorne one.

Lorne is a secondary or even terciary level character...
        He's spent enough to on-screen to make that irrelevant, there have been secondary guest characters with more character than him.

plus, he's on ATLANTIS, not SG1... you know Atlantis...
        Stargate Atlantis: We left the story arcs and character development in the Milky Way...
        The characters have been developed a hell of a lot more than SG-1 had been in the same amount of time.

evidence: the strongest story in any episode of Stargate that takes place in Atlantis...... was the Pegasus Project... when SG1 came and Danel confronted Morgan...
        That's your opinion, that's not evidence, and even if it were true, what character development was there in that episode? Even if it were better, what has that got to do with anything?

Lorne is a GREAT idea for SGU... he's recognizeable... but not fully fleshed out yet... because he's currently 1-dimensional, the writers for SGU can carve out a 2nd or even 3rd dimension for him... they can finally develop his character....
        Recognisable to who? Stargate fans? What good is that? I don't see how you think transplanting a one dimensional character from one show to a another is a good idea, how is it better than just creating a entirely new one?

Comment

The characters have been developed a hell of a lot more than SG-1 had been in the same amount of time.
          That is very funny! Not true, of course, but funny.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
            That is very funny! Not true, of course, but funny.
            Season 4 SG-1 were exactly the same as season 1 SG-1, hell, Carter has hardly progressed in 12 years, you can't say the same for the Atlantis characters, especially McKay and Teyla.

Comment

To be fair sga and sg1 are two very different shows and covered to very different decades. Sg1 was very 90s scifi, very old school retroheroic TNGish. Sga reflects the 21st century sensabilities, its darker than eureka n drwho but its alittle more family appropriate than bsg.

Well have to wait an see where SGU fits in

Comment

Season 4 SG-1 were exactly the same as season 1 SG-1, hell, Carter has hardly progressed in 12 years, you can't say the same for the Atlantis characters, especially McKay and Teyla.
                Total disagreement. Personally, I think there was a great deal of character development in seasons one to four, particularly with Daniel and Teal'c, but for the other character's as well. Carter was hardly the eager young Captain she had been at the start.
                McKay's character development has been a bright spot in Atlantis. It started in SG-1 and has continued. He is certainly the best written /developed character on Atlantis. I feel about Teyla as you feel about Carter. I see very little character development there, just the addition of some abilities. I'm hopeful that will change this season.

To be fair sga and sg1 are two very different shows and covered to very different decades. Sg1 was very 90s scifi, very old school retroheroic TNGish. Sga reflects the 21st century sensabilities, its darker than eureka n drwho but its alittle more family appropriate than bsg.

Well have to wait an see where SGU fits in
                True, and this is probably why my enjoyment of SGA went downhill after season one (although parts of season two were good, as well). I don't care much for the darker tone, and find BSG completely unwatchable, for all I am told that it is very well done.
                As to where SGU fits in, that may be a difficult balance. Stargate fans seem pretty divided between those who prefer an Atlantis type show, and those who prefer SG-1. Which is "better" is entirely a matter of personal taste, but they might find it difficult to bring both sides along.
                Side note: how great is Eureka!

Comment

Here's a thought (Stargate Continuum spoilers):

Spoiler:
                  What if the 9th chevron thing is revealed to us by Ba'al's clone's host? Ba'al seems to know about a lot of stuff, so maybe he stumbled upon this as well? I think that's one character that needs some kind of screentime, just to see what a system lord's host would be like after all this time and all these memories.

So what if he's drafted onto the team that's going to this place via the 9th chevron lock?

Comment

Spoiler:
                    What if the 9th chevron thing is revealed to us by Ba'al's clone's host? Ba'al seems to know about a lot of stuff, so maybe he stumbled upon this as well? I think that's one character that needs some kind of screentime, just to see what a system lord's host would be like after all this time and all these memories.

So what if he's drafted onto the team that's going to this place via the 9th chevron lock?
                    Yikes! Now that's an original idea! I'll have to ponder that a tad! Kudos! I'd green you for that (sheer brazen originality catagory), but it won't let me.

Comment

That is very original. I could almost see them doing it, since TPTB love Cliff Simon so much. (So do I, for the record.) But at the same time, I think the major complaint (which I have to agree with, to an extent) is that there might not be enough of the adventure element of 'humanity unravels new information through brilliant discovery' which tends to really launch the Stargate theme in openers.

All the same, if integrated as just one piece to the puzzle -- Ba'al's clone's host 'has some startlingly intriguing intel which brings them to a place where a series of trials unlocks a newfound quest' -- I think it would not only be a great idea, but it'd also have a bit of a familiar tie-in without being such a blatant spinoff. Which is something TPTB spoke that SGU will be less of than SGA was, too.
                      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        No. That's not the reason at all, if it were then every other character that has lacked development would be like that too. He's a nothing character, we know how he's going to react to any situation because like I've said, he's just a generic soldier who does what he's told has has little to no personality, not interesting in the slightest, Kavan Smith brings absolutely nothing to the role either. The only way to make Lorne interesting would be to either recast him or change his character beyond recognition, either way it would probably better to just create a new character instead of trying to salvage something from the Lorne one.

He's spent enough to on-screen to make that irrelevant, there have been secondary guest characters with more character than him.

That's your opinion, that's not evidence, and even if it were true, what character development was there in that episode? Even if it were better, what has that got to do with anything?

Recognisable to who? Stargate fans? What good is that? I don't see how you think transplanting a one dimensional character from one show to a another is a good idea, how is it better than just creating a entirely new one?

i'd critique this post, but i'm above criticizing grade-school level thoughts...
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Spoiler:

Wow, imagine Baal on an SG team......that's pretty cool.

I'm kind of hoping we'll see McKAy's sister in SG:U, then again, probably not.

Comment

I like that idea as well! I love Jeannie!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              I like that idea as well! I love Jeannie!
                              Yeah, she was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                                i'd critique this post, but i'm above criticizing grade-school level thoughts...
                                But not above dishing out grade-school level insults I see, very telling. If you can't post an adult response, then it's probably best not to respond at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X