Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
    New line of thought:

forget the format of the series... how about what the format of the enemy(ies) and other races we (aka the earth personnel out there in the galaxy/universe) will encounter will be like...

in SG1, the goa'uld, and asgard were modeled after earth's ancient mythologies... the asgard being norse, and the goa'uld egyptian, and later greek, babylonian, et al
    the ancients followed arthurian legend and a little bit of roman (Janus, builder of roads)
    and the Ori can be said to be modeled on the Roman Catholic Church during the Dark Ages... (the whole "convert or burn" mentality (as a note, i am a catholic, so don't get on me for being anti-catholic... i'm catholic, but not blind))

in SGA, the alien races became your standard science fiction ones - aka devoid of any link to earthen myths... wraith were insect-human hybrids... the asurans/replicators = cyborgs... genii = human... etc...
    and the ancients in SGA lost any and all arthurian legend (except for the SG1 crossovers) and janus was mentioned only once.... so they became another standard scifi race - advanced human

so what do you all think the MAIN aliens of SGU will be like (aka top 3 or 4 races/civilizations)?

will there be other human races like the genii, athosians or alterans
    will there be creatures like the wraith, goa'uld or tok'ra
    will there be hyper-advanced humans like the asgard

will they follow any sort of nomenclature format or cultural model, like asgard = norse, goa'uld = egyptian... (which i personally believe to be what made SG1 so great and what SGA failed to succeed with)
    i'm hoping for some mythology in SGU, maybe they'll be based on eastern mythology, i know Yu and Oma were based off some eastern mythology but there's still a lot that could be explored. BTW you forgot that the ancients were based off some Greek mythology as well IE Atlantis .
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

Comment

roman, greek, same thing... just different names...

in some cases, in other cases, they're the exact same name:

zeus = jupiter
      apollo = apollo
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
        Make it required that they have to see every Sg eppie twice
        Thats is funny and sad at the same time.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

i just had a great idea: the main villian will use the ascended beings as a powersource

Comment

This is an idea that I had last night while watching the Stargate re-runs, though not connected to the format of the show. Instead of having Stargate Universe run with Atlantis as tptbs did with Atlantis and Sg-1, it could run when Atlantis is off the air. For example if there were episodes ready right now they would start running after "The Last Man" aired, then season five of Atlantis would air after the season of Universe finished. With forty episodes altogether that would leave just enough time for the usual midseason breaks and possibly and break between the airing of the two series, which will mean that we would have new Stargate episodes year around.
            This idea has been used with the Doctor Who franchise, because in England Torchwood does not run at the same time as Doctor Who.
            "Time Travel: it's a cornucopia of disturbing concepts"-Ron Stoppable- Kim Possible

Comment

Originally posted by Durbelethwen View Post
              This idea has been used with the Doctor Who franchise, because in England Torchwood does not run at the same time as Doctor Who.

Just in England, huh? And what about the rest of Britain?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

roman, greek, same thing... just different names...

in some cases, in other cases, they're the exact same name:

zeus = jupiter
                apollo = apollo
                yeah i know, but don't tell them that (they get real pissed off)
                sigpic

Comment

i LOVE the idea of running an SGA season start to finish, then running SGU in its time slot till its season is finished, then back to SGA then SGU...

that'd be f'ing SWEET!

Comment

i LOVE the idea of running an SGA season start to finish, then running SGU in its time slot till its season is finished, then back to SGA then SGU...

that'd be f'ing SWEET!
                    It is a good idea. It certainly works here in the UK with Doctor Who and Torchwood. Torchwood's second series starts in a few days time here and when it finishes around April time then there will probably only be a short period (maybe a month or two) until Doctor Who's fourth series starts in Spring. Or maybe they'll briefly run concurrently? Torchwood's penultimate second series episode airing just as Doctor Who's fourth series première episode starts?

Anyway, I think if that idea were to work for Stargate then there would probably be a need to cut the episode count from 22 to 13.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

no need at all to cut the episode count

there are, as you say, 22 episodes per season... 2 seasons (1SGU 1 SGA) = 44 episodes... 52 weeks per year = 8 weeks without episodes...
                      4 weeks off around christmas, 4 weeks somewhere else...

or... to make it better...

run the season premier for SGU immediately following the season finale for SGA, that'll make one hell of a stargate night each year, and give 9 weeks off around the year... no need to cut episodes

i remember a few years ago when they did something like this with SG1 and SGA, i forget what seasons, but when SG1 ended, SGA began, it was awesome... until we ended up with 6 months off...

but that would not happen with the scheudle outlined above

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        It is a good idea. It certainly works here in the UK with Doctor Who and Torchwood. Torchwood's second series starts in a few days time here and when it finishes around April time then there will probably only be a short period (maybe a month or two) until Doctor Who's fourth series starts in Spring. Or maybe they'll briefly run concurrently? Torchwood's penultimate second series episode airing just as Doctor Who's fourth series première episode starts?
                        But Torchwood and Doctor Who are very different programmes aimed at different audiences. Doctor Who is a family programme and Torchwood is (supposedly) an adult one.

Comment

You have to rememebr though that the ptb wouldnt do this whole running the series at different times thing, as tptb run both shows and so if they did this they wouldnt get as much time of year, at least thats what i think they would do! at the moment they are getting plenty of time off untill season 5 pre-production begins, the other way wouldnt give them as much time off... but i wouldnt care i'l like it your wat too

Click Signature for my take on all things in life, also known as my BLOG!!
                          Please Read and if it interest you make a comment

Atlantis -
                          SG1 -

Comment

no need at all to cut the episode count

there are, as you say, 22 episodes per season... 2 seasons (1SGU 1 SGA) = 44 episodes... 52 weeks per year = 8 weeks without episodes...
                            4 weeks off around christmas, 4 weeks somewhere else...

or... to make it better...

run the season premier for SGU immediately following the season finale for SGA, that'll make one hell of a stargate night each year, and give 9 weeks off around the year... no need to cut episodes

i remember a few years ago when they did something like this with SG1 and SGA, i forget what seasons, but when SG1 ended, SGA began, it was awesome... until we ended up with 6 months off...

but that would not happen with the scheudle outlined above
                            There are 20 episodes per season.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              There are 20 episodes per season.
                              even better for TPTB... that makes a max of 40 weeks + 12 weeks off... or, if you overlap the SGA finale and SGU premier, that's 39 weeks on and 13 weeks off...

figure 4-5 weeks off around christmas, then another 4-5 weeks off inbetween serieses...

what it really comes down to, though, is not how much vacation time/time off TPTB would get, but if running SG year 'round like that would make more money for the studio than running them concurrently...

Comment

Originally posted by ijffdrie View Post
                                i just had a great idea: the main villian will use the ascended beings as a powersource
                                wouldn't that be the opposite of what the ori do?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X