Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Who. Cool.

Maybe they're learning.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      "And so, to those of you looking for standing comparisons, I’d say more Lost than Battlestar, more Dr. Who than Heroes, more The Office than My Name Is Earl."

Oh, great...
      Yep. That doesn't inspire confidence in me.

I like the bit about the 20 episode arc though.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        Doctor Who. Cool.

Maybe they're learning.
        I'm with ya! I wonder what they'll take out of Doctor Who's book and incorporate into Stargate: Universe? The humour? Recurring theme word? The Destiny will be bigger on the inside? Humans suddenly thrust in to a world/universe their not ready to handle and ill-equiped for?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          I'm with ya! I wonder what they'll take out of Doctor Who's book and incorporate into Stargate: Universe? The humour? Recurring theme word? The Destiny will be bigger on the inside? Humans suddenly thrust in to a world/universe their not ready to handle and ill-equiped for?
          Thing is, it wasn't always a word, as demonstrated by Series 3 and 4. It was a theme/concept. Basically I assume it'll mean everythings linked and part of an overarching plot, whilst episodes are still slightly stand alone and can be viewed that way, as opposed to being COMPLETELY serialised like Heroes.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Thing is, it wasn't always a word, as demonstrated by Series 3 and 4. It was a theme/concept. Basically I assume it'll mean everythings linked and part of an overarching plot, whilst episodes are still slightly stand alone and can be viewed that way, as opposed to being COMPLETELY serialised like Heroes.
            Yeah, that's what I meant. I hit a block and couldn't think of the words. Glad to see you got them though - Theme. Concept.

I like this idea and look forward to seeing how what it will be that will arc it's way throughout the first season whilst still maintaining the stand-alone stories of the first two Stargate series.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              Yeah, that's what I meant. I hit a block and couldn't think of the words. Glad to see you got them though - Theme. Concept.

I like this idea and look forward to seeing how what it will be that will arc it's way throughout the first season whilst still maintaining the stand-alone stories of the first two Stargate series.
              I'm interested, but I still maintain that the producers are moving too far away from Stargate's core identity and becoming just another sci-fi show, even if it IS enjoyable.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Call me cynical. I assume that if anything would be taken out of Doctor Who it would be the arc word/concept, rather than the very human characterisations, the understanding aand forgiveness of human nature and basic humanism, the deep treatment of ethical and moral questions, the unconventional storytelling methods, general cleverness and the way the show can reinvent itself every episode anew, or the generally wonderful acting/directing/editting/soundtrack.
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Stargate Atlantis / Universe / Sanctuary - Flick Filosopher: why does TV suck so much lately?:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....84&postcount=1

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Today was our final day of spinning on Stargate: Universe and we finished in impressive fashion, breaking not one but TWO stories. The first, episode #10 is mine (Carl is especially excited about this one) while #11 falls to Paul. Ticking clocks, twists and turns, alliances, betrayals, and a surprise guest! And, just like that, we have our first 10 stories in play. Now, all that remains to be done is to write the outlines, design and build the sets, design and create the costumes, design and produce the props, nail down the crew, cast the roles of Young, Rush, Scott, Eli, Tamara, Chloe, Stasiak, Wray, and Brody (among others), and everything else that needs to be done before we start shooting in early February. I have a feeling our visual effects department is going to have a blast with this show!

PG15 writes: “In your opinion, is Universe looking more arc-based than Atlantis Season 1? Also, do you share the feeling that Atlantis Season 1 is the most arc-based Stargate season?”

Answers: Yes, SGU will be more arc-driven than Atlantis’s first season which I found no more or less arc-driven than any other season of the show.

Belouchi writes: “2. Will the Destiny Space craft be comparable to Atlantis city ship or an Aurora class ship?”

Answers: 2. The ship is still in the design stage.

Ytimyona writes: “SGU is designed such that it can be enjoyed by those who have never before in their lives seen anything Stargate related, right?”

Answer: Most definitely. And while SGU will be more serialized than its predecessors, it will, like SG-1 and SGA, the show will be accessible to first-time viewers looking to jump on at any point.

Scary writes: “It would be great to see some set photos from the first day of production. Any chance of that happening?”

Answer: If I’m on set, I may take a few snaps and run them by Brad and Rob. If they approve, I’ll post.
                    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Jumper!

My curiosity and excitement continues to build with every drip of info coming through.

Comment

Brody? Such a gay cheeseball name.

Comment

Answers: Yes, SGU will be more arc-driven than Atlantis's first season which I found no more or less arc-driven than any other season of the show.
                          Well, now it's official, Joe and I don't share the same definition for some concepts.
                          My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                          Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                          sigpic

Comment

So why was S1 SGA particularly arc driven?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I can't speak for SG:A, but was it the Fight for Jaffa freedom / Search for Skaara / Search for Sha'ra in Stargate SG-1's first 6-seasons? A very loose arc perhaps?

Comment

Because most episodes were related to the previous ones, story-wise and not only "it's the same characters in the same place".

The following episodes let to the attack of Atlantis by the wraith:
                                - "Rising", obviously;
                                - "Suspicion" & "Poisoning the Well" with Steve's capture and interrogation;
                                - "The Defiant One": Although mostly a standalone story, it introduces the Ancient defence satellite;
                                - "Sanctuary": Although the "trying to find a shelter from the wraith / help against them" storyline aborts, the episode gives the expedition city internal sensors, which will be used to detect Bob;
                                - "The Brotherhood": The B-plot is completely in-arc (the wraith scout, the 3 arriving hives), plus Kolya for the Genii storyline in the A-plot;
                                - "Letters from Pegasus": Clip-show of current situation plus introduces Earth intervention at the end of the season;
                                - "The Gift": Teyla connects with the attacking armada;
                                - "The Siege" 1 & 2, obviously.

The following episodes were set in the Genii storyline:
                                - "Underground", also gives the expedition intel about wraith so set in the "wraith attack" arc;
                                - "The Storm" / "The Eye" (the tension raises between the Genii and Atlantis, and introduces Kolya);

Those were pure standalone episodes:
                                - "Hide & Seek" (although it's arguable because it introduced McKay's ancient gene, and also the city transporters);
                                - "38 Minutes" (arguable again because it introduces them to the iratus bug and wraith origin);
                                - "Hot Zone".

Those can be considered standalones too because although they have a common theme (searching for ZPMs / trying to contact Earth), they don't lead to anything:
                                - "Childhood's End", which was set in the general "searching for ZPM" storyline but didn't lead to anything;
                                - "Home";
                                - "Before I Sleep" (they get the list of planets with ZPMs, but unfortunately this storyline is not revisited later).

So how were the other SGA seasons (at least: I don't know SG-1) as arc-based as that?
                                My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                                Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X