Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean to ask a stupid question here but why can't the US writers quit the American union and join the Canadian one to write?

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
      I don't mean to ask a stupid question here but why can't the US writers quit the American union and join the Canadian one to write?

Vala,
      Good question...
      *I have a feeling that it's not so easy to quit a union, especially in the middle of a strike... not to mention the writers (in question) probably want the strike concluded before getting back to work*

Comment

Originally posted by -PITBULL- View Post
        No im talking about the one they are planning for the SciFi Series . MGM and SciFi have not talked out a deal , They have not casted any actors or anything as well . So see that there really isn't anything going on with this 3rd series . MGM could take they money from the first two movies and run with it and go ahead with the 3rd series over a 3rd movie .
        As far as we know, SciFi have nothing to do with the development of the third series.

Comment

I don't mean to offend anyone but why can't they have Joe Mallozzi write the 3rd movie then? He's written for SG-1 many times and personally, I love his writing work for both shows.

Vala,
          Martin Gero would be much better choice.

Comment

Vala,
            Wouldn't they have to move there?

But, anyway, most writers don't make a hell of a lot of money. Already there are emergency loans being made to some members. Not everyone is an Anthony Zuicker (He was a valet attendant who made up CSI while working at a hotel- the rest is history.). I do pity them but I don't think the strike will go on all that long. The studios have the money, and that is an unfortunate fact. There are a few big names like Anthony who could hold out but most of them can't.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              As far as we know, SciFi have nothing to do with the development of the third series.
              As far as i know , any MOVIE or TV Series of STARGATE SG-1 that MGM gives the go head on will be aired on SciFi . Something about the deal they did with STARGATE SG-1 and the SciFi network wont let the name of STARGATE SG-1 be aired on TV throw any other next work in the US .

Yes they could go head and make the Direct to DVD Movie , but without AIRING on TV Some non fans wouldn't know about the MOVIE . So there is lost profit that MGM would make if people like NON fans went out to buy the DVD After seeing it on TV ...

Fan base would make them a small profit , but nothing big for them to want to make a 4 or 5 after that .. So with out AIR time on TV , witch you know SciFi will play the heck out of the movies once they start airing on TV . MGM might not make the money they are looking for ..

Comment

Vala,
                You really don't want the writers to walk out of there strike like that , It would make them look bad as well as it would make it harder for them to ever get working the US again ...

Not just that i do see why there striking . Its a smart movie on the writers to strike right now , Yeah we as the watchers get screwed cause we get nothing to watch on TV , but in the long run the writers will take more pride in there work if they get what they need to make a living ..

Comment

As far as i know , any MOVIE or TV Series of STARGATE SG-1 that MGM gives the go head on will be aired on SciFi . Something about the deal they did with STARGATE SG-1 and the SciFi network wont let the name of STARGATE SG-1 be aired on TV throw any other next work in the US .

Yes they could go head and make the Direct to DVD Movie , but without AIRING on TV Some non fans wouldn't know about the MOVIE . So there is lost profit that MGM would make if people like NON fans went out to buy the DVD After seeing it on TV ...

Fan base would make them a small profit , but nothing big for them to want to make a 4 or 5 after that .. So with out AIR time on TV , witch you know SciFi will play the heck out of the movies once they start airing on TV . MGM might not make the money they are looking for ..
                  The only thing that uses the Stargate SG-1 name is Stargate SG-1, the movies don't and neither will the new series. Other than airing SG-1 and Atlantis, SciFi have no rights regarding the Stargate franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis21 View Post
                    Does anyboy really believe that there will be a third movie? I mean that there are some people that have seen the movie and said it totally blowed. The fact that there is only 30,000 people who may know about it through this web site MGM is probably looking to the fact that all the fans of the series which was over 2.5 milllion so that MGM makes a profit. There has been no advertising on TV yet so the chances of a third movie are sinking.
                    (WHAT DO YOU THINK?)
                    I think the odds for a SIXTH movie are HIGH!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

wow a sixth movie you do think ahead. where did anybody here about cooper offering up a third or a fourth i only know about the second?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                        No matter how much I or you may or may not like AoT, with the media revolution we are currently in, I would expect to not only see a 3rd movie but also more to follow that one.

Fans love sequels...always have. So, I would also expect to not only see SG-1 continue in DVD movies but also see SGA take that same route.

I would not be a bit surprised if talks between MGM and Skiffy fell through for the next show--Universe--and that ends up as a DVD series as well.

DVD's are just profitable. How many posters here have complete box sets of a tv show you have seen broadcast? Probably a good 80 percent and that's conservative IMO. TPTB will making money with DVD's and box sets for rest of their lives--MGM will be turning a profit from the Stargate Franchise for decades.

No question about it--even if the movies suck royally, they will sell and make a profit!
                        Well, I am one of those fans who is definitely hoping for more SG-1 movies. I would love to see this part of the Stargate Franchise continue on in movie form for quite some time to come.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

You really don't want the writers to walk out of there strike like that , It would make them look bad as well as it would make it harder for them to ever get working the US again ...

Not just that i do see why there striking . Its a smart movie on the writers to strike right now , Yeah we as the watchers get screwed cause we get nothing to watch on TV , but in the long run the writers will take more pride in there work if they get what they need to make a living ..
                          I see what you mean but how does a writer make money while on strike? Especially since it's expected to last for so long if not longer.

Vala,

Comment

I see what you mean but how does a writer make money while on strike? Especially since it's expected to last for so long if not longer.

Vala,
                            Right now some of them aren't making any money at this point , But there has been some news that the writers that are on strike might start working on writing for VIDEO GAME , and there is talks that there might be a deal in works that would let the Writers still could write for MOVIES ...

I know that i read yesterday that the movie industry or there union is working something out to make it where the writers get what they want . Meaning that writers can keep on working and making the movies so this summer will still get the big block busters that we are use too .

As for the video game industry , well there writers don't have a union . So this means that any writer can move to doing video game writing . Witch is good the the gamers , We might get games that are worth playing again .

So in the long run the ones that are going to hurt is going to be the TV shows that we all love . HEROES wont be back tell this is over , BSG wont come back as well . The one the is safe is STARGATE and shows that where scripted before the strike started ...

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              The only thing thatll kill these dvd movies is when the actors loose interest and start dropping out one by one. Otherwise theyre a good monetary investment for the studio, pads their franchise, fairly inexpensive to produce, and is a proven product and production staff. For each sg1 movie they churn out they save soo much over the run of the mill crap dvd they get pitched by nobodies.
                              Dropping out? "Continuum" is the first incarnation of the franchise in 3 YEARS that has the entire REAL cast of SG-1!

Lol, but seriously, I agree with you. I think when Michael Shanks drops out the movies will (and should) stop.

I also agree with the OP as far as advertising goes. While I'm sure the movie will outsell his projections by several times, I do know that some fans of the franchise didn't/don't realize that these films are even real...
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Ok you are all talking about the actors of SG-1 quitting the show where did you hear this is something like this going to happen soon. Are the actors going to leave the series somebody write something. That video save SG-1 is concerning and what does it mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X