Stargate: The Original Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matta View Post
    Whats the old saying? if it aint broken, dont fix it? I dont see the point in trying to re-do this movie, its brilliant as it is. It was the starting point of a legendary tv show and it would be an insult if they changed it... they even had a rememberable closing line... "i'll see you around... Dr Jackson" how good is that lol.

matt
    They aren't redoing the movie it's pilot that they are remixing.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Hi, there, my first post on GateWolrd Forums. I love the original movie. In my opinion it had a certain tone and atmosphere which was lost in the series. For example the conversation between Ra and Daniel is one of my favorite scenes in the movie; Ra's voice and intonation really give you and idea of how malevolent he was. Plus, the music was perfect in that scene. In the series I don't get that feeling from any of the Goa'uld (maybe Sokar or Anubis but they are late in the series). They just didn't give me any reason to fear them. And they butchered the Goa'uld theme. I hated that theme in the series.

Second I love the set designs. The interior of Ra's ship is the most awesome thing in the movie (so much detail). The costumes were amazing too, especially the Goa'uld guards (loved the claws on their hands). Ah, there's so much eye candy in that movie. The music is amazing too, especially the Stargate theme and Ra's theme. I can never get tired of listening to the opening scene of the movie.

To me, artistically, the the series was a downgrade from the movie. Even now after the series ended, I still think the movie > series in terms of art direction, set design and music.

Now, I love the series, don't get me wrong. It brought us the unforgettable stories and friendships. In that regard it is superior. The thing I don't like about the series is how they messed up the Goa'uld. (atmosphere, music). I was laughing at the serpent heads when I first saw them, and I always cringe at the sound of Jaffa marching in the hallways. Man, that was done to death, and it sucked too. Thank god for their demise, because I don't know how much longer I could have resisted.

Anyway, leave the movie alone, it's awesome.

Sebastian, dialing home.
      Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all. - Isaac Asimov
      sigpic

Comment

I agree with you 100%. The first movie was amazing, unlike any other scifi movie before it. Too bad the series didn't have that same felling to it (not that I don't like the series, I love it)
        sigpic

Comment

There's one thing that bothers me in the movie and the series: the staff blast force inconsistency. The first time we see it in the movie is when the Jaffa fires a last at a column. That is some major explosion. Directed at any human part and it would obliterate it.

From my DVD.
          Spoiler:

But no, they have to change the force depending on what it hits. I mean sure it blows up stone columns to shreds (movie and series) but when it hits, let's say a leg (Jack in the Ne'tu prison, from "The Devil You Know", I think) all it does is burn some flesh.

Read inside the spoiler if you've seen the movie and the 3rd season of the series.

It's a small thing I know, mostly changed for story telling, but it bothers me anyway.
          Last edited by Sebastian; 14 April 2008, 12:56 PM.
          Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all. - Isaac Asimov
          sigpic

Comment

There's only an inconsistency if you consider the series to be a continuation of the story from the movie, it's not. The movie is completely separate. There's no difference between the Goa'uld in the movie and the Goa'uld in the series because there were no Goa'uld in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
              There's one thing that bothers me in the movie and the series: the staff blast force inconsistency. The first time we see it in the movie is when the Jaffa fires a last at a column. That is some major explosion. Directed at any human part and it would obliterate it.

From my DVD.
              Spoiler:

But no, they have to change the force depending on what it hits. I mean sure it blows up stone columns to shreds (movie and series) but when it hits, let's say a leg (Jack in the Ne'tu prison, from "The Devil You Know", I think) all it does is burn some flesh.

Read inside the spoiler if you've seen the movie and the 3rd season of the series.

It's a small thing I know, mostly changed for story telling, but it bothers me anyway.
              We also saw a staff blast hit a soldier and yeah it killed him but he was hit square in the chest. Also a P90 or M16 can do the same to a pliller yet wound a person if aimed right.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Second I love the set designs. The interior of Ra's ship is the most awesome thing in the movie (so much detail). The costumes were amazing too, especially the Goa'uld guards (loved the claws on their hands). Ah, there's so much eye candy in that movie. The music is amazing too, especially the Stargate theme and Ra's theme. I can never get tired of listening to the opening scene of the movie.

What about the exterior. I loved the design of Ra's ship. Didn't much care for Ra but the ship was fantastic.

Just how much bigger then the pyrmaid was the ship?

I mean how deep into the ship was the very top of the pyramid once it settled on top? What they didn't show us, and I would have loved it had they had the time to do this was the exterior of where those long verticle windows were. When the panels all slid down from the side of the ship. It would have been kind of neat to see inside the ship via the windows from the outside. ..

I just loved the design.... The open cockpit gliders I didn't care much for. It's a pity no one could be shot that way.

But for me the size and story were the best parts, and the music set the atmosphere. It all fit together nicely and was truly enjoyable.
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Is there an "official" thread for the original movie (like the sub-folder for AoT and Cont.)? Or is it disallowed/discouraged because it's not part of this franchise or something? Just curious.

Anyway, I'm thinking of re-watching this over the weekend and thought I'd see if anyone else wanted to comment/discuss on the original. It's been years since I've seen a Jack that isn't RDA. I wonder if I'm going to have a hard time with this.

Here's a couple images to get the party started...

Comment

...Y'know, I actually can't believe no one made this thread before. Green.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                      Is there an "official" thread for the original movie (like the sub-folder for AoT and Cont.)? Or is it disallowed/discouraged because it's not part of this franchise or something? Just curious.

Anyway, I'm thinking of re-watching this over the weekend and thought I'd see if anyone else wanted to comment/discuss on the original. It's been years since I've seen a Jack that isn't RDA. I wonder if I'm going to have a hard time with this.
                      Here's a couple images to get the party started...
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/picture.p...pictureid=3741

http://forum.gateworld.net/picture.php?albumid=478&pictureid=3740[/url]
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=4593
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Quality thread and quality movie.

Comment

I wonder if we'll ever see the Abydonians again after they ascended! It would be nice to see Skaara again.

Comment

Hi, there, my first post on GateWolrd Forums. I love the original movie. In my opinion it had a certain tone and atmosphere which was lost in the series. For example the conversation between Ra and Daniel is one of my favorite scenes in the movie; Ra's voice and intonation really give you and idea of how malevolent he was. Plus, the music was perfect in that scene. In the series I don't get that feeling from any of the Goa'uld (maybe Sokar or Anubis but they are late in the series). They just didn't give me any reason to fear them. And they butchered the Goa'uld theme. I hated that theme in the series.

To me, artistically, the the series was a downgrade from the movie. Even now after the series ended, I still think the movie > series in terms of art direction, set design and music.

Now, I love the series, don't get me wrong. It brought us the unforgettable stories and friendships. In that regard it is superior. The thing I don't like about the series is how they messed up the Goa'uld. (atmosphere, music). I was laughing at the serpent heads when I first saw them, and I always cringe at the sound of Jaffa marching in the hallways. Man, that was done to death, and it sucked too. Thank god for their demise, because I don't know how much longer I could have resisted.

Anyway, leave the movie alone, it's awesome.

Sebastian, dialing home.
                            I agree. The gaould were much better n the movie. Even the jaffa. I never understood why the Jaffa had mail. Why did they wear so much clothing. And, speaking of goauld, what was Apophis exactly? A cheap knock-off of Ra? NO comparison to the movie Ra. The goauld of the series were lame.
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Thanks for the link! - maybe the mods will merge it and give it a sub-folder like the other movies so that it's easy to find... hint hint

Too nice of a day outside to stay inside, I'll watch tonight. I'm preparing myself for a 14-yr-old movie, so I know the sunglasses will be cheesy - but what else will I find?

Comment

There were no Goa'uld in the movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X