Third SG-1 movie ("Stargate Revolution") Ship Free hopes/speculation/ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    also BW said he's writing a shall we say romantic scene (S/J) for the third SG-1 movie...
    Just out of curiosity... where did you hear this? Because that's new information to me, so if you've read something that I haven't seen, I'd like to check it out.

Originally posted by lommit View Post
    but would like some good old exploring,guns,lazers,sg1 , a good villain,space battle
    and a good story
    I don't even need a space battle. Just some good old fashioned off-world exploration, some aliens, a bit of mythology, good team interaction, and a good story. That would be enough for me.

Unfortunately, the few tidbits I have heard have not been encouraging to me.

Does anyone know if the third SG-1 movie will air on Sci-fi before it comes out on DVD? That's what they said will happen with the Atlantis movie, so I was wondering if the SG-1 movie would get the same deal.
    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
      Y'know, I'm really trying here... It would be very helpful if you met me halfway, instead of giving me a response that virtually demands that I rebut with specific arguments as to why it's not obvious.
      I posted my opinion and what some of the people in charge seem to believe. I also said there hasn't been clear and unambiguous on-screen confirmation

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      Just out of curiosity... where did you hear this? Because that's new information to me, so if you've read something that I haven't seen, I'd like to check it out.
      BW - Along the Continuum Part 2
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Never mind then... I take back everything I said said on this page. It would seem that there is a need to try and prove each other's beliefs wrong, rather than just accept that we differ in our interpretations. Sorry I interrupted you, Madaboutdanny...

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I've seen nothing that would indicate Sam/Jack to me since 'Divide and Conquer' that wasn't done with a bit of a wink, or as a statement open enough to be interpreted as an indication of 'ship by those that wished, and otherwise by those who do not. And I'm absolutely certain that's completely intentional.

I wouldn't call that bad writing so much as a clear awareness that there are several points of view within the fandom. I don't think there is anything wrong with them giving 'ship fans a little something to work with, just as I don't expect them to explicitly rule it out to please people like me who don't think they'd have broken regs. As long as no one seriously demands (and I'm not implying that statements made here are meant to be taken as a line in the sand) that what they believe be made fact, to the exclusion of all other points of view, I think we're all okay. The very fact that people are calling for 'confirmation', rather than 'resolution' emphasizes what a bad idea it would be for the writers and producers to come down one way or the other on this, because every group feels just as strongly about their own personal fanon.
          OF course it wasn't bad writing up through season 8- there were the rules that mercifully kept the Sam and Jack relationship interesting without resorting to the kind of heavy-handed tactics that we saw on SGA. We're talking about the third movie- and the story needs to be wrapped up.

And there really is a story, even if you want to ignore it, which is your right, of course. These aren't the greatest romance writers in the world and I wouldn't expect them to be. But all those great little moments that were both written in and improvised by the actors add up to something- otherwise who'd be talking about it now? If it really were that open to interpretation, then why is the thread on GW with the most page views the S/J thread? Almost three million - more than all the science & tech threads combined. I really don't think there's that much mass delusion around here. Obviously, TPTB did something really, really right to fire up people's imaginations to that great of an extent. And from a practical standpoint, it'd make good sense to address the story in a way that makes those fans happy.

All other things being equal, why not? There will always be fans that do or don't like what they write and it's never stopped them from wrapping up a story before just because someone might not like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
            Thanks.

I gotta say though, did you notice how right before the "shall we say romantic scene," BW said basically what amconway has been saying. BW said something along the lines of "if you want to imagine them (s/j) together, then fine, imagine it. Go for it. Read whatever you'd like into it." As far as I can tell, that's the party-line for everyone from Bridge except JM... who of course, is always the wild card.

But whatever. *shrug*

I'm still dubious about this movie based on what we've heard, but I had the same feeling about Continuum and it turned out far better than I had expected. I'm hoping the same thing will happen here.
            I'll start getting really interested when/if we finally hear of a shooting schedule and actor contracts. Which at this rate, could still be months away. *big sigh*
            Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
            Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Thanks.

I gotta say though, did you notice how right before the "shall we say romantic scene," BW said basically what amconway has been saying. BW said something along the lines of "if you want to imagine them (s/j) together, then fine, imagine it. Go for it. Read whatever you'd like into it." As far as I can tell, that's the party-line for everyone from Bridge except JM... who of course, is always the wild card.

But whatever. *shrug*

I'm still dubious about this movie based on what we've heard, but I had the same feeling about Continuum and it turned out far better than I had expected. I'm hoping the same thing will happen here.
              I'll start getting really interested when/if we finally hear of a shooting schedule and actor contracts. Which at this rate, could still be months away. *big sigh*
              BW didn't say that!

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                BW didn't say that!
                I'm sorry. I did say "something along the lines of," clearly showing that it wasn't a direct quote. If my bad paraphrase has offended you, it was unintentional.

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

OF course it wasn't bad writing up through season 8- there were the rules that mercifully kept the Sam and Jack relationship interesting without resorting to the kind of heavy-handed tactics that we saw on SGA. We're talking about the third movie- and the story needs to be wrapped up.

And there really is a story, even if you want to ignore it, which is your right, of course. These aren't the greatest romance writers in the world and I wouldn't expect them to be. But all those great little moments that were both written in and improvised by the actors add up to something- otherwise who'd be talking about it now? If it really were that open to interpretation, then why is the thread on GW with the most page views the S/J thread? Almost three million - more than all the science & tech threads combined. I really don't think there's that much mass delusion around here. Obviously, TPTB did something really, really right to fire up people's imaginations to that great of an extent. And from a practical standpoint, it'd make good sense to address the story in a way that makes those fans happy.

All other things being equal, why not? There will always be fans that do or don't like what they write and it's never stopped them from wrapping up a story before just because someone might not like it.

See my post above yours. I was trying to find a way to move away from this type of pointless argument that exists only to dampen the enthusiams of others - no matter which way point of view one might take. Although I disagree, and could refute this argument (if majority meant correctness, then George Bush would have had an awesome presidency), I was trying to find a way that we can discuss the third movie without saying that one side is wrong and the other side is right, and the writers better make everyone see that gosh darn it. I clearly failed abjectly. Have at it. folks. I just decline to participate.

Comment

BW didn't say that!
                    No, he didn't. TPTB used to say believe whatever you want- but not this time. I have no idea if that means anything or not.

Well, one consolation is that they're even less far along on the Atlantis movie. That keeps me from being too nervous about this one. I think they're just busy.

Another interesting thing is Carl Binder is doing most of the writing. I'm not sure what to think about that.

Comment

Unfortunately, the few tidbits I have heard have not been encouraging to me.
                      what have you heard?

Does anyone know if the third SG-1 movie will air on Sci-fi before it comes out on DVD? That's what they said will happen with the Atlantis movie, so I was wondering if the SG-1 movie would get the same deal.
                      the third SG-1 movie will be a straight-to-DVD movie, Atlantis is gonna be a tv movie

Never mind then... I take back everything I said said on this page. It would seem that there is a need to try and prove each other's beliefs wrong, rather than just accept that we differ in our interpretations. Sorry I interrupted you, Madaboutdanny...
                      I'm certainly not trying to change your beliefs or saying you're wrong so yeah, let's just agree to disagree

Thanks.

so? that's what they've been saying for several years, they never mentioned a romantic scene...

But whatever. *shrug*

Ganymede writes: “Need some clarity Joe… You mentioned Feb 4 as the currently scheduled date for principal shooting… IS this for the SGA movie?”

Answer: Nope. The movies probably won’t shoot until Summer of 2009.
                      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...niverse-day-3/

BW didn't say that!
                      BW said
                      If you think they're together, if you want them to be together, then go ahead and...and...and...and imagine that they're together. Having said that, there is a... there is a scene in the err movie script that I'm writing right now for the third Stargate SG-1 movie that is shall we say romantic
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                        Another interesting thing is Carl Binder is doing most of the writing. I'm not sure what to think about that.
                        Actually that's one of my reasons for concern. I'm not saying anything against Carl Binder's skills as a writer, but he has spent much more time writing for SGA. So I worry that his characterizations of the SG-1 crew might be a bit different than what we're used to, simply because he hasn't had as much practice at writing their voices/personalities.

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

See my post above yours. I was trying to find a way to move away from this type of pointless argument that exists only to dampen the enthusiams of others - no matter which way point of view one might take. Although I disagree, and could refute this argument (if majority meant correctness, then George Bush would have had an awesome presidency), I was trying to find a way that we can discuss the third movie without saying that one side is wrong and the other side is right, and the writers better make everyone see that gosh darn it. I clearly failed abjectly. Have at it. folks. I just decline to participate.
                          Sorry, but that's not what you said. You said: "I've seen nothing that would indicate Sam/Jack to me since 'Divide and Conquer' that wasn't done with a bit of a wink, or as a statement open enough to be interpreted as an indication of 'ship by those that wished, and otherwise by those who do not."

And all I did was point out that people who like the story aren't making it up. I didn't say whether it was a good or bad story arc, or that you're wrong not to like it- just that it existed. If you really want to suggest people are seeing things that are not really there, don't expect said people to let that slide.

Now back to our irregularly scheduled discussion of the third movie.

Comment

I wouldn't call that bad writing so much as a clear awareness that there are several points of view within the fandom. I don't think there is anything wrong with them giving 'ship fans a little something to work with, just as I don't expect them to explicitly rule it out to please people like me who don't think they'd have broken regs. As long as no one seriously demands (and I'm not implying that statements made here are meant to be taken as a line in the sand) that what they believe be made fact, to the exclusion of all other points of view, I think we're all okay. The very fact that people are calling for 'confirmation', rather than 'resolution' emphasizes what a bad idea it would be for the writers and producers to come down one way or the other on this, because every group feels just as strongly about their own personal fanon.
                            this is a debate that's been going on for as long as i've been in fandom. shipping isn't an 'equal opportunity' scenario that the writers do. the writers pick out a couple to ship, and they chose sam/jack. it doesn't matter if some see sam/daniel or jack/teal'c, they weren't *written* into the show. sam/jack was, and the storyline needs to be resolved/confirmed/finalized/etc.

'threads' showed sam and jack coming to a head on their relationship(s), including with each other. but did that mean they got together? let's find out for sure. (and since i think they *did* get together, i'd like to see it. see it = confirmation)

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                              That doesn't really concern me. IMO, SG-1 will still feel like SG-1 in this film.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Actually that's one of my reasons for concern. I'm not saying anything against Carl Binder's skills as a writer, but he has spent much more time writing for SGA. So I worry that his characterizations of the SG-1 crew might be a bit different than what we're used to, simply because he hasn't had as much practice at writing their voices/personalities.
                                Yeah. I hope that's where BW will have some input. Although, it looks like CB was a creative consultant (whatever that is) for SG-1 in the last few seasons. I can only hope that he didn't "create" the stuff about seasons 9&10 that I can't stand!

Comment

Working...
                                X