No announcement yet.

The Scourge (917)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel a little ambivalent about this ep. It was ok, but not great.

There is a big bang, and the base is shown badly busted up, but not destroyed. I thought that small nukes or naquadah enhanced bombs were used as self destruct devices. Surely there should have been a smoking crater and no buildings, or have the SGC taken to cost cutting on explosives?

The vibration of people moving is enough to attract the bugs, but the vibrations of bullets hitting the ground chases them off. I would have thought the vibration would have attracted more.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
      I feel a little ambivalent about this ep. It was ok, but not great.

There is a big bang, and the base is shown badly busted up, but not destroyed. I thought that small nukes or naquadah enhanced bombs were used as self destruct devices. Surely there should have been a smoking crater and no buildings, or have the SGC taken to cost cutting on explosives?

The vibration of people moving is enough to attract the bugs, but the vibrations of bullets hitting the ground chases them off. I would have thought the vibration would have attracted more.
      Apparently the planet also has the effect of weakening the power of explosives. Just look at the little firecrackers mislabeled C4.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
        I believe the bugs were hypersensitive to noise. In small amounts, like the vibrations of feet on the ground, the bugs could easily track prey. However, the incredible noise of gunshots would confuse and scatter them.
        SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

SG-1 doing what they do day to day, heading off world to see some Ancient Ruins when they got pulled back to be put on, as Cam put it, babysitting service for the IOA members who want to the off world experience who get a tour of the Gamma site and SG-1 to protect them from the obvious danger that is there. We can assume that from the comments from Landry, about making sure they were in bed by 10, that whilst he is a tough military leader he has a sense of humour. He is in the middle of Jack and Hammond, Hammond was the tough military and Jack was the humorous but often serious General.

The Gamma site, yet another on what we can assume to be a long list, the interior of which was obviously the S.G.C set just redecorated. Which in the ends ended up like a lot of bases and ships…destroyed.

The gun issue, which it has been made into, Cam, seems to be against using the P90, in this mission he was going to protect some diplomats so why would he choose this big gun whilst the Daniel and Sam take the P90’s. We can only assume that he had a premonition about what was going to happen but forgot to mention to the others what was going to happen. Teal’c went off world without a gun in his hand and remand without one during the tour, until they were running from the bugs outside the base and now he has a P90 which has turned up from somewhere, a small loophole there I’m sure.

The Ori will take us to the limit and there latest creation the destroying crop bugs who also have enjoy a tasty human every now and then. The bugs who could destroy entire civilizations is nothing new, Bane had the same theme slightly different idea but the bugs lay eggs in someone and then flood out of the body. The bugs rushing out of Walker makes you think this is turning in to Stargate : The Horror Story. The bugs coming out of the body actually reminds me of “The Mummy” where the bugs came out of the body and started swarming around. It is possible based on previous experiences that this episode was taken from the inspiration from “The Mummy”.

The IOA seem to hate us, but according to Woolsey they don’t the appreciate what we do. Nevertheless we end up with the debate over who should control the Stargate why the other countries feel left out over the amount of technology they are getting from the United States Military. Cam was upset over this assignment, seeing this as PR for the Stargate program which in many ways it did seem to be that way.

Mr. Woolsey was back and to tell the truth I prefer him when he was on the bad side, coming in to the S.G.C to cause problems. Now he’s gone good and he seemed like someone who they could have left behind on the planet. It wasn’t anything to do with the actor, it was most likely to do with what he had to say, keeping SG-1 and diplomats happy. But in the end he came through for us by cracking under the pressure yelling at the diplomat to let Carter work and then to tell the team back at the S.G.C that the IOA did like them.

The means by which SG-1 and the diplomats were saved is something which enraged certain fans after last weeks episode. The beaming out in the last minute, this week you could see it coming SG-1 were running out of ammo, they were walking back from the bugs handguns empting and they are whisked away in the last minute. If this type of rescue keeps happening week after week then more and more fans will become annoyed by it.

At the end of a tough day nothing can beat SG-1’s movie night, and when you think that they will be watching “Old School” it turns out Cam has chosen “Starship Troopers” a film in which humans up against freaky bugs. Which I can only guess was also an inspiration for this episode.

The Scourge receives a S.G.C rating of 7 out of 9 Chevrons!

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
            My previously admitted ignorance showing! I meant whatever plastic explosives they placed around the field station. C-4 is the only one I've ever heard of, so I used that name. I'm open to being educated on the subject.
            On looking at the caps, yes it was C4 (they were labelled). so those explosions were wimpy!
            scarimor

Comment

I was not looking forward to seeing this episode, but I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the story with the diplomats.

Comment

So did I but that chinese lady has another thing comin if she thinks her government can take the stargate.
                sigpic

Comment

My favourite part was seeing Woolsey run for the compound. Priceless.

Comment

Haha
                    sigpic

Comment

This episode reminded me of Starship Troopers,even strange enough when Cam mentions it on the end of the ep....hahaha I sooo loved this episode and Carter's attitude was great!
                      A well respected member of:

http://www.theamandatappingclub.net/
                      Check out my newest made forum!

http://forum.hopto.org/board/index.php

Comment

Well, after all that time, I've finally been through the thread...

A few quotes about the french guy...

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                        *snip*

And the French guy--just a bit over the top, I thought. I can't believe they would have anybody so stupid and whiny on such a commission. From his first actions of brushing by the scientist and tapping on the bug container (what an idiot!), to his behavior in the cave and on the way to the field station. Just too, too much.

*snip*
                        "anybody so stupid and whiny" ? Of course, we can have someone like that on important commissions... In fact, we do ! Not gonna tell names here...

Originally posted by LoveYouBaby
                        It sucked cos it seem like the French were treated badly. I don't think it was intentional, the French has always been individualistic, proud people ! But in the eyes of the US (and the Government), well... they had to bash the French somehow.
                        I don't see our people as individualistic , but that's not the point I wanted to develop here. That's not the place...

In fact, the french guy IS the point that makes me not adore this episode, he's too caricatural...

So, it was a good episode, which could have been better, IMHO, if that guy had been more complex.

Comment

I didn't see that this episode was bashing the French?
                          A well respected member of:

http://www.theamandatappingclub.net/
                          Check out my newest made forum!

http://forum.hopto.org/board/index.php

Comment

Woosley I actually like now, but will we see the killer-Ori-Mummy-Insects again? I think not.
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Thank you so much for the translation- I have been wondering what they all said to each other.

I was very surprised that Cam could speak Mandarin- I think that was a bit of character development. I understand Mandarin is hard to learn?

[QUOTE=The Shadow;4971304]Here is Daniel and Shen's conversation in the gateroom:

SHEN
                              Your Mandarin is very good.
                              DANIEL
                              Not as good as your English.
                              SHEN
                              As it should be.
                              (referring to Mitchell)
                              What do you think about him?
                              DANIEL
                              We're still observing him.
                              [She laughs out loud. He smiles at her.]
                              MITCHELL
                              Yeah, that's very funny.
                              (to Daniel)
                              Get lost.
                              [Daniel and Shen looked at Mitchell, shocked, while Teal'c and Carter look amazed that he has said anything in Mandarin.]
                              sigpic
                              JPJ = John's PuddleJumperJPJ: pssss Lorne I'm a 60%er!
                              Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
                              Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

Comment

this was a good epsiode gross but good ...not a bug fan
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X