No announcement yet.

Ripple Effect (913)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And how is it that none of the incoming parallel SG1 teams had an O'Neill? One had a Martouf and Janet, but there wasn't a single parallel world that had an O'Neill? And did ANY of the parallel worlds have a General Hammond or someone other than General Landry, or did they ALL have a General Landry? And every one had basically a Sam, Teal'c and Daniel. Presumably alternative universes would have differences. Maybe even a whole bunch of SG1s made up of different people altogether.

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    I am one of those people who has a hard time understanding Sam's scientific explanations for things, and I still don't understand how the ripple effect occurred. However, what I am wondering about is if the Black SG1 team did the whole thing on purpose, how did they know it would bring them to an SG1 Earth that had the material they needed and/or the cure to the plague?
    And where did the Goa'uld hand weapons come from?
    And am I correct that our General Landry said he had to turn back 50 other SG1 alternative universe teams? Presumably there could have been literally hundreds or thousands of alternative universe teams.
    And what is the difference between a metaverse and a multiverse (as used on Sliders, for example)?

Comment

And how is it that none of the incoming parallel SG1 teams had an O'Neill? One had a Martouf and Janet, but there wasn't a single parallel world that had an O'Neill? And did ANY of the parallel worlds have a General Hammond or someone other than General Landry, or did they ALL have a General Landry? And every one had basically a Sam, Teal'c and Daniel. Presumably alternative universes would have differences. Maybe even a whole bunch of SG1s made up of different people altogether.
      I'm sure they'd have loved to use other characters as part of the alternate SG1 teams but it all comes down to actor availability. RDA would have to fly from California to Vancouver to guest star in the episode which is a waste of time for him in what's basically a bit part.

I am one of those people who has a hard time understanding Sam's scientific explanations for things, and I still don't understand how the ripple effect occurred. However, what I am wondering about is if the Black SG1 team did the whole thing on purpose, how did they know it would bring them to an SG1 Earth that had the material they needed and/or the cure to the plague?
      -- They didn't know it would work. It could have lead them anywhere but getting a response from any SG based on Earth would show they'd survived everything they did making it a viable reality to visit.

And where did the Goa'uld hand weapons come from?
      -- The SGC has been stocking up on them so can be gotten from armouries on ships and bases.

And am I correct that our General Landry said he had to turn back 50 other SG1 alternative universe teams? Presumably there could have been literally hundreds or thousands of alternative universe teams.
      -- More than that. The multiverse theory states there is a reality for any and all outcomes. So turning back 50 isn't too bad considering there may have been countless more making different decisions that lead them to do something other than dial Earth.

And what is the difference between a metaverse and a multiverse (as used on Sliders, for example)?
      -- A metaverse is a type of virtual reality. Inside the Matrix would be a metaverse. When Teal'c got stuck in that training simulation and when SG1 got stuck in it (during season 2 I think) would also be a metaverse.

sigpic

Comment

Why was Rothery killed off the series originally in season 7??
        I noticed that her SG group was the very last to go home when in fact they should have been first since they were taking the medicine to save their Earth.
        Was there any reason that only the black and green teams had major roles when there was all that talent sitting around drinking coffee? Gosh, it would be a good idea to have the teams meet once in a while to compare notes anyway.
        The meeting of our Sam and the other Martouf made no sense because he was the OTHER Martouf and not Earth Prime's Martouf.
        in any case SG1 sure could have helped the Sliders get home. ;-)

Comment

I noticed they didn't give the Teal'cs any opportunity for interaction.
          But the film merge was very well done. You don't even remember that it's done by a single actor.

Comment

Why was Rothery killed off the series originally in season 7??
            I noticed that her SG group was the very last to go home when in fact they should have been first since they were taking the medicine to save their Earth.
            Well, killing her off was one of the biggest impacts on the viewers of this series.

The writers set it up extremely well with the decoy of O'Neill getting wounded which would be followed by a "damn, why am I still alive when that other guy with the new family got killed?" moment at the end of the episode, and suddenly Janet is dead..... wth? It was sad that her character was retired but who else were they going to kill off?

I suppose her team was the last to leave because it was good television. It allows the gate room to emptied with their departure which signifies the end of the story. If they had them go through amongst a group of other teams all standing around with their hands in their pockets, it would require some additional time on a computer to drop in any other group, so it was possibly also just cheaper and easier to do it this way.

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

I always believed they sent the teams back in the order they came through. They'd need to use the gate records to see exactly which planet each team came from, so it would make sense to do them in order. The black team was the first to come through & the first to go back. Janet's team was one of the last to come through, therefore the last to leave. Plus it allowed us the opportunity for a Sam/Janet hug! I just wish there had been a chance for more scenes with AT & TR together in this one. ... oh, and besides, I'm sure they wanted the fact that they were helping one of the 'good' teams by giving the vaccine very low key or else all the other teams would have wanted something to take with them as well.

Was there any reason that only the black and green teams had major roles when there was all that talent sitting around drinking coffee? Gosh, it would be a good idea to have the teams meet once in a while to compare notes anyway.
              well, obviously the 'green' team was featured since they were the 'normal' team from this reality. The black team was featured since they were the 'deceitful' team who initiated the whole thing to begin with. I would have liked seeing more varied SG1 teams with other familiar faces, like Hailey, Elliot, Kowalsky, Ferretti, etc. And how about even a Siler who goes off world?
              sigpic

Comment

How was it that neither Landry nor anyone else noticed that the SG1 team that he thought was theirs were wearing black jackets when the real team had green ones?

Comment

Why had Rothery wanted to leave the series when her character was killed off??

Comment

Why had Rothery wanted to leave the series when her character was killed off??
                    Teryl had no intention of leaving the series. She loved playing Dr Janet Fraiser. It was the writers' choice to kill off the character as they felt they need to kill off someone who was an important part of the SGC in order to make a stronger impact with the episode. To this day, I still feel it was the wrong decision. The show lost the whole "family" feel to it after they killed off Janet, and they never seemed to get it back in the final 3 1/2 seasons.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                      Teryl had no intention of leaving the series. She loved playing Dr Janet Fraiser. It was the writers' choice to kill off the character as they felt they need to kill off someone who was an important part of the SGC in order to make a stronger impact with the episode. To this day, I still feel it was the wrong decision. The show lost the whole "family" feel to it after they killed off Janet, and they never seemed to get it back in the final 3 1/2 seasons.
                      So it sounds like these actors have a contractual arrangement whereby the company can let them go at will by killing off their character at their own discretion.

Comment

Too bad they didn't kill off Daniel this time for good. His speech is getting almost incomprehensible. He doesn't enunciate and is way too nervous, and they could have killed off Vala Mal Doran along with him. Just could have brought back Jonas for the new SG1.

So it sounds like these actors have a contractual arrangement whereby the company can let them go at will by killing off their character at their own discretion.

Comment

Too bad they didn't kill off Daniel this time for good. His speech is getting almost incomprehensible. He doesn't enunciate and is way too nervous, and they could have killed off Vala Mal Doran along with him. Just could have brought back Jonas for the new SG1.
                          I watched Daniel in every Stargate episode. I saw him stubborn, angry, upset, snarky, desperate, sometimes arrogant, funny, sarcastic, feisty and more. I don't once recall him being nervous. Or almost incomprehensible (although he did talk quickly sometimes when he was excited or animated). I didn't want him dead either. But then, I didn't actually want any of my team dead. I'm funny that way ...

Comment

Yep, it always worries me a little when I hear someone so determined to wish a character dead....then I think it's time to step away from the TV and the programme for a while...

Daniel does have a tendency to talk fast - perhaps because the writers like to cram so much dialogue in for Michael knowing he can cope with it (a bit like all the technical stuff that Amanda has to deal with for Sam?) - but again, like jdjunkie these little "foibles" only endears me more to the character....I sometimes find Teal'c's "uber stoicism" a little OTT, (especially the - to me - much slower and precise pronunciation of some wording in the latter episodes) but I'm prepared to accept the changes over a series and characters that lasted so long....

Deeds xx
                            Last edited by discodiva; 14 January 2012, 06:05 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                              I noticed alot of people commented on one of the SG1 teams wearing the armbands from Upgrades... Well I went back and rewatched it - I dont think thats the case. For starters only the 3 guys trailing Mitchell had them and they were wearing one on each arm. And they actually looked alot more like the bracers the Jaffa use with their armour... which got me thinking - maybe they were Sodan warriors? And Mitchell was leading them?
                              Rewatched this episode for the first time in a while. I really don't think the armbands are from Upgrades for reasons mentioned above. PLUS - I didn't think the armbands worked on Jaffa (which was why Teal'c didn't have one/wasn't affected by them during the episode Upgrades). But maybe there was a different reason he was the only one not to be wearing one then.

One of my absolute favorite moments: Sam mentions that she has been working with the other Sam Carter on trying to figure out how they came into their universe. Cam says something to the effect of, "So, you finally have someone who can keep up with you." Sam says, "Yup." And the briefing continues. Beyond the fact that it is an adorable moment where Sam sort of acknowledges that she is crazy smarter than just about everyone on the planet...according to the DVD commentary for the episode that was an ad lib by Amanda Tapping. LOVE IT!
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

How was it that neither Landry nor anyone else noticed that the SG1 team that he thought was theirs were wearing black jackets when the real team had green ones?
                                Maybe they're all color blind?

Comment

Working...
                                X