No announcement yet.

The Fourth Horseman, Part 1 (910)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always liked the title of this two parter.

One of the more tolerable episodes of season 9 with the Ori in them. Mainly due to watching Gerak being taken in by the promises of Origin and tormented with the awful choice of facing up to his fellow Jaffa who don't share his belief in what the Ori could do for his people.

Cameron Bright gave a poignant performance as the self-sacrificing Ancient Orlin who gave up everything to give the mortals of the lower planes a fighting chance against the terrible threat the Ori posed. I guess the Ancients' motto of not interfering with freedom of choice meant they couldn't stop Orlin choosing to do this, and at least one Ancient wanted to continue to protect the Milky Way humans from the Ori.

Comment

SG-1 has done pathogens spreading into the general public before but in the past it just comes off poorly done. I actually think this was done well enough in accepetable limits. I say acceptable limits because thier are just some things in the real world that can not be realasticlly transfered to television. The episode had a real epidemlogical feel to it as the virus spread through the US and then overseas. The Orlin and Sam stuff kind of makes me cringe especially the relationship stuff. Why would Orlin think things are same when he was 20 years younger. Although the insight of why the Ori are coming to the Milky Way was interesting. Finally given how Garek was so opposed to the Ori at the start of the episode its interesting to watch sway to their side. Interesting but not surprising given how Garek always is trying to get more power
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Eh I wasn't as impressed with this ep as most people seem to be.

Kid Orlin's actor put on a good performance. Bit creepy cracking onto Sam though haha. Sad to see him deteriorate so quickly.

Trust Gerak to become a prior. Weak. I thought of all people who would be able to talk sense into him would be Bra'tak. But he wasn't able to which surprised me.
        sigpic

Comment

meh i this ep could have been better Part 2 was better though
          sigpic
          Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

1. Interesting banter between Mitchell and Daniel...also interesting line about Lam...implied something spicy between Mitchell and Lam.

2. Gerak going Ori - heard about this but it played out more interesting than I thought it would.

3. Is that...Hammond! Yes!

4. Prior fart causing trouble...suppose that this is just about plausible.

5. Junior Orlin actually looked slightly older than expected.

How are the Jaffa in particular going to get out of this one?
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
              4. Prior fart causing trouble...suppose that this is just about plausible.
              ???
              sigpic
              Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Listen to the S9 podcast
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Or make one they probably know what anubis did to the clone to give him his powers

Comment

I liked the plot and the writing.
                    Unfortunately I am getting distracted from all the good points of this ep. by that awful performance of little Orlin.
                    And since he has so much on screen time, the whole ep. suffers from that.
                    I consider this to be a huge director's fault. That kid probably could have done better, if being directed properly. He must have been around 12 years old at that time. So, you cannot just tell a kid, "do a character that delivers lines without much emotion" and expect him to fully understand, how this has to work out.
                    For me, the result is not a "dry" Orlin-character of young age, but a stiff young actor, who is lost. It is the director's task to correct this and I blame him for letting that kid appear to be such a bad actor.

Comment

I do agree, the kid actor did seem rather deadpan in his acting. Compare to several of the other kid actors i have seen, this pick was rather a weak one imo.

Comment

I don't. A director can not make a bad actor into a good actor if they lack the talent.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I don't. A director can not make a bad actor into a good actor if they lack the talent.
                          No, of course not. But this performance was soooo bad, that I think it is highly unlikely that this kid could have ever been convincing while auditioning, if he was really such a bad actor. Why should they cast a kid without any acting talent? That does not make sense, does it?
                          I think, it is way more likely, that the director failed to recognize, that in the end, this way of doing young Orlin comes across as monotone line delivery, instead of a decent dry and shy Orlin, as we first got to know him as an adult.

Comment

Which is strange as the actor (Cameron Bright) has had some decent roles outside of Orlin..
                            Heck he was in 2 films i own/have seen that i never remembered him in the spot.. Xmen 3 (he played Leech) and running scared.

Comment

Mitchell and Dr Lam - there is something!! (There is another scene in a different ep when they step out of a lift and meet Landry!!!)
                              I liked the way the kid acted - it fitted into the role IMO.
                              Good cliffhanger. On DVD you just watch the next part - haha.
                              CARPE DIEM
                              ANJA

Comment

So what's the consensus here regarding Landry's "intimate relationship " comment? Does it mean Orlin and Sam had sex in Ascension?

Comment

Working...
                                X