Babylon (908)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Stargate

Good episode very watchable with some great costumes and Jaffa fighting Some more character building for Mitchall.

STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
    legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

At last - an episode that focuses fully on Cam. Until now, he's generally seemed to be little more than a bit of scenery while Daniel and Vala indulged in their verbal scrapping.

Loved the fight scenes - kudos everyone involved. I wonder how much of the falling was done by BB, and how much by his double! Either way, it looked suitably ouch-worthy.

And, boy, don't those Priors get everywhere! They're like those Christmas Tree needles you're still picking out of the carpet in July - and just as annoying.
      sigpic

Comment

Great Episode, So far Season 9 is ranking highly on my list of best Seasons. The Sodan could be the new allies we are looking for to replace the absents Tokr'a who we havent seen since Season 7 (excluding Jacob) A good episode for building on BB's character who seems to have inherited the "humor" area of the team with his Teal'c impression which deffinatly needs more bass. This is a stepping stone for some great episodes to come I hope as the Sodan offer so many writing oppertunities. Overall a great Episode.

Babylon recieves a S.G.G rating of 8 out of 9 Chevrons

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum
          At last - an episode that focuses fully on Cam. Until now, he's generally seemed to be little more than a bit of scenery while Daniel and Vala indulged in their verbal scrapping.

Loved the fight scenes - kudos everyone involved. I wonder how much of the falling was done by BB, and how much by his double! Either way, it looked suitably ouch-worthy.

And, boy, don't those Priors get everywhere! They're like those Christmas Tree needles you're still picking out of the carpet in July - and just as annoying.
          Yea for more Mitchell!!!

As for Ben doing his own stunts:

"Over on the 'Babylon' location, Ben Browder continues to impress, insisting on performing his own stunts and taking a beating (quite literally) for his troubles."
          (Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a message at his GateWorld blog)
          "Hee!" about the Christmas tree needles analogy.

Comment

Well, the first time I saw this - on a small download - I lost interest before we were halfway through. Jaffa fighting among themselves episodes have never really interested me and Mitchell's ludicrous response to the ambush (standing up in full view of everyone shooting at him and firing back like something out of a John Wayne movie) irritated me so much it put me off the rest of it.

This time, I resolved to watch all the way through, just in case I'd missed something. I was really determined to try and find something to enjoy in it.

Didn't work.

First thing I thought was - "Well, someone's watched The Last Samurai. Ho hum." Oh, and Amok Time, too. We're used to SG1's writers ripping off other people's hard work and calling it a homage, of course, and for a time that was quite fun. When it was just a few lines or a scene here and there. But do they now truly have so few original ideas of their own for these characters that they have to rip off other people's work wholesale? And blatantly referencing the work they're ripping off ("Well done, Bones") just doesn't make it acceptable for me any more either. Admitting you're stealing doesn't make it not theft.

The second thing that really irritated me was that Carter was reduced to a bit part. I swear Lam had more screen time than she did. And I'm getting tired of her being pushed into the background.

And talking of Lam - I rather liked her in Avalon. But I'm afraid that her attitude to Landry is really beginning to tick me off. Okay, I get it. She and her father have a prickly relationship. But at work, he's her CO, for pity's sake! Her constant rudeness and insubordination when she's speaking to him is so unprofessional it really annoys me. I was half expecting him to slap her down last night and remind her that during office hours she needs to put her personal feelings aside and treat him with the respect a superior officer requires of a subordinate. If she can't be professional at work, then she should ship the hell out of dodge imo and go work somewhere else.

I will admit that the Jaffa fighting among themselves scenes weren't as boring as they've been in other Jaffa episodes and I rather enjoyed the relationship between Mitchell and his trainer. I did fast forward through a few bits though.

But mostly what struck me about this episode was that there were no surprises in it. It was unoriginal, derivative and just plain predictable.

William B Davis must have loved this gig, btw. Easy money!

Ah well...still hoping for better things in the second half of the season. Although my hopes grow fainter every day...

Albion
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Splendid to finally get more Cam. Best line: "Lucky IS good"

Madeleine

Comment

One thing to say about this ep .....why did Daniel change his BDU's so often? lol
                starting out off world - black
                back to the sgc - green, then blue, then green again, then blue and finally back to green!
                maybe he couldn't decide what color since cam wasn;t there to show him what color he shouldn't wear (as they just have to be different from each other!) lol

Are we ever going to see danny and cam wearing the same color BDUs?
                luv n hugs
                Mara
                x x x
                AKA That Get Frelled Girl

Scapers making like an army...www.watchfarscape.com

Comment

an ok ep but through the whole thing i was thinking The Last Samurai

and as soon as the Jaffa said he had to fight another Jaffa you knew it was the one training him it always is
                  Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                  sigpic

Comment

In the teaser, did anyone notice that Mitchell is the one that figures out that SG1 is being followed by the “invisible” Sodan warriors? Cam hangs back from the group and notices the branches in the trees are “moving” by themselves. He prevented the capture of his team at no small cost to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by frellu2
                      In the teaser, did anyone notice that Mitchell is the one that figures out that SG1 is being followed by the “invisible” Sodan warriors? Cam hangs back from the group and notices the branches in the trees are “moving” by themselves. He prevented the capture of his team at no small cost to himself.
                      Plus while being trained to go to his death he always manages to try to continue focusing on his mission. He tries many times to persuade Haikon of the peril of believing in the Ori. We see Mitchell as an honourable and brave man with excellent leadership skills even while facing death.

One aspect of Babylon that I like is the introduction of another Jaffa society that is isolated and free of enslavement for a long time. If the Sodan continue to be part of this season's arc it will be interesting to see how Teal'c and the council use this groups unique situation in helping create the new Jaffa society. The Sodan have much to teach others ( assuming they escape the Ori).

Comment

Originally posted by frellu2
                        Well spotted. Must watch again after I finish my Farscape marathon.

Comment

Rats! Just when I thought that the episodes were getting better, this one happened.

The story was just too clunky for me.
                          And what's with the grumpy team?
                          sigpic

Comment

*giggle* Stargate does Tom Cruise movies But since I liked Last Samurai, I don't mind all that much.

Comment

have to say this is definitely my favourite episode of the season. i loved the relationship that developed between mitchell and Jolan, the understanding that came between them. Overall a fantastic episode that i have enjoyed watching may times. 10/10.

Comment

watchable episode for me too. Not great, but sympathetic, and Mitchell is able to argue against the Ori values: he is quite clever
                                Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

Working...
                                X