Origin (903)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The2ndQuest
    >>all the Ori have the same personality, which is frankly, a very cheesy personality.<<

Well, theoretically we've only seen one Ori via the Doci- it's the Priors who are mostly similar, but then the personality issue there really isn't any worse than your generic Jaffa in the earlier seasons.
    i watched this ep, and i'm thoroughtly confused by who's the ori, the doci, and the priors. so, can someone tell me the players again? (can you give me examples?)

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      i watched this ep, and i'm thoroughtly confused by who's the ori, the doci, and the priors. so, can someone tell me the players again? (can you give me examples?)

sally
      The Ori are the fire, the Doci was the guy with the funky metal neckpiece, and the Priors were the creepy monk guys who carried staffs.

-IMF
      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Origin, although a bit slow (a friend of mine fell asleep during the episode), gave us some information about the new enemy, the Ori. This was the best part of this episode for me. I feel a bit ambivalent about the Ori, but I think there is potential for good storytelling in season nine. This was the best part of the episode for me. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are capable of and what our team needs to do to stop them. They are frightening to me because religious zealots are frightening to me in general!

It is very odd to me, but I actually liked Mitchell LESS in this third episode than in the first two episodes. I didn't expect to feel this way. I found him all over the place in Origin. And the way BB delivered his lines just seemed off to me. But I am certainly going to give Mitchell/BB time to get into his role. I actually wasn't as fond of Landry either this time around --- it made me realize how much I miss Hammond, but again I'll get used to him.

Daniel and Vala were good in this episode. One thing bothered me though. I was surprised that Daniel would not have much reaction to Harrid and Sallis's deaths. I wonder if they will deal with this in a future episode. Daniel was very Daniel-like talking with the Doci, but he was not at all Daniel-like for me when they were brought back into their own bodies--I would think he would be more horrified than he expressed about the two people that just got burned to death.

I also was expecting a bit more Teal'c in this third episode, given that he has had so little in the first two episodes. Garek and Jaffe Nation political stuff was okay, but it doens't grab me yet, but at least Teal'c is involved in this part of the story line. So far, Teal'c has been wallpapered in the first three episodes of this season more than any other season I can think of. I'm guessing this won't continue since CJ mentioned he had to memorize lines!

The worst part of the episode was the end with RDA. It made me very sad and disappointed. The Daniel-Jack scene was pathetic. Man, I wish RDA had not been in the episode at all, because this was not O'Neill. Daniel opens up to him about his fears, and O'Neill's line of, I'm hungry, just didnt' cut it. As well, the interaction between Mitchell and O'Neill was a waste of time. Give those two minutes to a little more interaction with Daniel AND a scene with Teal'c. Or why not have the Jack scene at the end with Daniel AND Teal'c. Daniel could have easily expressed his fear of the Ori to both of them. That would have been a more powerful scene. And surprisingly, the general viewers still don't know where Jack went! It should have been a much better send-off.

Did they just have RDA in episodes 1 and 3 for ratings?

Even with all this, I look forward to what this enemy is capable of.

And I really look forward to Sam returning as well. It makes sense that there is not much of a team sense yet because she is not back, but I look forward to that team feel again, where the chemistry between the cast shines through. Right now, only Daniel and Vala have some ease and chemistry together.

I think the show will only keep going if they have a really interesting enemy (there is potential here), and most importantly, if they have TEAM chemistry (there is potential for this as well down the road).

Comment

The episode overall was alright. I just don't see how long they can stretch this 'bad guy' out for. It's an enemy that is going to have the power of the gods at they disposal. How can you fight that? I just hope that it doesn't end up be a let down!

And let's see more of the free galaxy that's now out there. including the millions of now FREE humans!

And as every other person has mentioned, WHAT WAS UP WITH JACK?!?!
          I could understand how they wanted to look a lil sad, afterall, the jack character would have wanted to play around with guns and blow stuff up over be incharge of Homeworld Security or play general....

but... that wasnt' even a sad jack tonight...it was.... a cardboard cutout. Were the two of them even in the same damn room? it's like they went to LA and filmed him with a blue screen and then cut and edited him and daniel together....

Was this bad directing?
          Bad script writting?
          Was RDA just sick that day?

Or....what i'm afraid of, is that, he just stopped caring about Stargate. Over the summer they kept saying how they were "trying to get RDA to do a episode or two". And all they could work out was 3 1/2 scenes? If you spent 8 years doing a show and developing a character, the least I think a actor would want to do is make sure he gets a great send off. I just don't see how anyone could call it that. Jack's character may have been dumb-afied over the past few years (S7 mostly...), but, the jack we saw last night wasnt' the one we all fell in love with. Maybe this was just a mistake and the producers know it, but..... dont' let jack leave this way, producers we're talking to you, RDA, you too.... jack was a great part of stargate for 8 years, he made it what it is, and, to leave this way......makes captain kirk falling off a bridge seem like an oscar winning performance....
          Last edited by saxamoophone; 30 July 2005, 07:47 PM.

Comment

After seeing this one, definitely can't wait to see what else lies ahead this season.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The only person whom Daniel gave his name and origin to was Pharrin (not sure of the spelling). So how did the Doci know who he was and where he was from? Mind reading?

So if the Orii can read minds, why did they need to send Daniel and Vala back to the village in order to find the non-believers?

Or have they always known about the non-believers?

And.... When Pharrin shows up that night, why is the front door suddenly in the bedroom? The bedroom is upstairs, but Pharrin knocks on a door and they all go back out the same door. In the bedroom. Upstairs.

Confused.

Dana Jeanne
              Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally Posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                You know what noticed, at about halfway through the episode, after Vala and Daniel return to the house, when Vala looks at the mirror, you see the other woman. But when Daniel walks past, you don't see the other guy (he's suppose to be) walking past, you see {Michael} Shanks as Daniel walking past. I see they screwed up.
                I didn't notice that, I thought it did change to the other guy, but he did go by fast, so... However, I did notice that when they were in the mirror, the voices changed to the other people [I can't remember their names]. I thought that was pretty cool. I believe it even changed in the middle of a sentence and they got it to flow nicely. Nice piece of work that wasn't needed, but pretty cool that they went to the trouble.

Oh, yeah, just in case anyone read my previous post, I've watched the episode again and I caught the details with throwing the communication device in the wormhole, so in case you were planning on explaining it to me: I've got it now. I really shouldn't post if the only time I've seen the episode is at 2am after hanging out. Also, on 2nd viewing, RDA didn't look as bad to me. *Sigh of relief*
                Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 30 July 2005, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Lots of discussion on this episode. . I'll just say I really liked it. The Ori are very creepy and have a lot of potential.

There still doesn't seem to be a cohesive element to the show. . .yet. I think once the "team" is back together (with Sam) then we will get a better feel on the direction the show is taking.

I'm not a Beau Bridges fan but I've taken to him as Landry. Lexa seems like a Janet clone (they should have kept Janet, IMO).

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

From the Ori bible:
                    "And on the seventh day Joe Average the believer got zombified! Hollowed are the Ori."

Well... Origin was, ahm... interesting for lack of a better word. We got to know the Ori a bit more and I gotta agree with Daniel. They be scary little s'o'bs. But just like Corpy pointed out, they're basically goa'uld version 2.0. Which is a shame because when the demon thingie possesed that guy to talk to Daniel it said: "We do not require blind faith."
                    shyeah right! It will be interesting to see if the Ancients react at all to their presence in our galaxy. It's kind of ironic how they claim to be enlightened and yet resort to such crude methods as mass manipulation and religious dogma. Maybe they got the nasty part of the enlightenement, and the Ancients got the good part. And I'd like to see how they're gonna try to convert the asgard:
                    "Hollowed are the... ugggh! You guys are ugly!"
                    Now that I think about it... those silly Ori have no idea what they're getting into. Coming into a galaxy that has not only humans, but Asgards, Nox, some left over goa'ulds, grandmas. Seriously now, we'd better be scared for them!
                    Mitchell - still an O'Neill clone, but with a certain southern flavour.
                    Teal'c- Hang in there buddy. I'm romanian so I know something about these dictator figures. Sooner or later somebody is gonna execute him. Maybe it's gonna be you!
                    Vala and Daniel: just shut up and start making babies already.
                    The General: So classy, so diplomatic, so full of ****, so american.
                    Walter: keep up the good work. You know you're the only reason that place is still runing.
                    Homer Simpson: I'm not a religious man, but if you're up there... save me Superman!

Michael Shanks concerning his character:
                    "O'neil is a warrior, Carter is a warrior, Teal'c is a warrior... somebody has to be the damsel in distress "

Stargate SG1 is my happy place.

Comment

I thought this episode was better than Atlantis' "Runner".

We learned more about the Ori, basically a faction to the Ancients... a slight difference in opinion of galactic proportions!

I like how the writers wrote in the "fire" comment, Daniel suspected the Ancients made the "fire" icon to be referred to hell and evil aka the Ori. Whilst the Ancients when ascended was a bright white light, the Ori are a flame vapor.

Vala appears to have changed... for the better, well, sorta. She did slip back down a bit, but you can see, she's alive and well. Even though the 2 hosts, Daniel and Vala were in were burned.

I like the nice ending (Jack & Daniel, non-ship reference), including the incidental music, it was very nice. 2 buddies catching up.

Let's hope for a 10th Season featuring more of the Ori, one season is just simply not enough.
                      Last edited by LoveYouBaby; 31 July 2005, 03:05 AM.
                      Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                      WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

I liked this episode a lot. Can't believe 10 pages already. Wish Jack was more upbeat, glad to see Daniel. I guess the sadness is to show how he misses working with those guys.

I think there is a lot of potential in where they are going with the Ori.
                        Last edited by QuiGonJohn; 31 July 2005, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joasia
                          Am I the only one who reacted to the Prior's words "That was a miracle" by almost starting to hum a certain song from the "Fiddler on the Roof"?
                          You're not the only one, as soon as he said it I hummed in my head "that was a miracle, too". That song (and parts of the rest of "Fiddler") have been in and out of my brain all weekend.

Comment

Is it possible the Alterens built the commuication devices so that they could communicate with each other? Wait, let me think this thourgh....

We have the Alterrans. For some reason half of them decide to leave the planet. The other half remains. They've built these devices so they can comunicate with each other wherever they are.

The Alterans left on the planet eventually ascend to become the Orii and humans evolve however you'd like to believe. Because the Orii feel they should be worshipped, they keep the developement of these humans back to the middle ages.

The second group of Alterans have gone to earth. There's a plague and they leave for the Pegasus galaxy. The Wriath wipe a lot of them out, and most of what's left ascend to become our anceints. Merlin goes back to earth to keep an eye on it and to "bury" the device with the treasure.

Since the Orii know the alterans left earth-- or perhaps they started the plague and don't know some escaped-- they don't pay attention to it anymore and the Ancients completely hide from them the fact that there are now humans in this galaxy.

They don't like what the Orii have turned into and take the fire that are the Orii and turn into a different meaning for humans (hell and so forth).

The fact that Harrod and Sallis didn't walk around in Daniel and Vala's bodies could be because, in order for the device to work correctly, the two who are tuned in to the stones must put thier stones into thier device at the same time.

Dana Jeanne
                            Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I've read a lot of this thread, but must admit I haven't read EVERY post here (hanging head in shame), and I have a teeny question on the episode:

Loved the look of the transport rings coming up through the water, but why are the priors using ring technology? Didn't Daniel say they were in a different galaxy? (maybe they aren't). . .The Gou'ald have been the only race we have seen using the rings, but were the rings originally designed by the Ancients (who are different than the Ori)?

As for the RDA cameo - he was definitely sleepwalking. Wish they had just left that out as he obviously didn't want to be there.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                                I've read a lot of this thread, but must admit I haven't read EVERY post here (hanging head in shame), and I have a teeny question on the episode:

Loved the look of the transport rings coming up through the water, but why are the priors using ring technology? Didn't Daniel say they were in a different galaxy? (maybe they aren't). . .The Gou'ald have been the only race we have seen using the rings, but were the rings originally designed by the Ancients (who are different than the Ori)?

As for the RDA cameo - he was definitely sleepwalking. Wish they had just left that out as he obviously didn't want to be there.
                                You are right it was stated in Avalon that the Ancients created the ring technology. We actually dont know that the Ancients and the Ori are different. They may be the same speicies. We know that the Ancients came from the same galaxy as the Ori and Daniel thinks the Ori may be "the people left behind by the ancients". So it make since they would use the same kind of technology.

Saddly I agree with the RDA statement.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X