It's Good To Be King (813)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
    I wonder where he was during all this...since he had to witness it.

If I understood correctly,
    Spoiler:
    Janus disn't take the ship, he took his research with him to Earth. He must have built another time machine and installed it onto a "puddle jumper" that was built on Earth.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

This was a great episode. One of my favorite of the season (but then again I loved almost all the episodes of this season).

Chiming in on the time travel aspect:

The jumper that SG-1 found must be the one left there when the Ancient went back to create the monlith record thing. There was no way that SG-1 can accidentally take the jumper currently being used by the time traveling Ancient since that would create a time travel paradox (I think time travel paradox are allowed in the stargate universe since Carter has mentioned that a few times).
      I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

1. Good to see Jack back off world.

2. Yes Ares first Prime may well have come out of LA.

3. Definately took the taste of Prometheus Unhinged away.

4. Who'd have thought there were so many ABU's on Gateworld!
        Last edited by Matt G; 16 January 2005, 09:46 AM.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Bad losers?

Madeleine

Comment

For some reason, on first viewing of this one, I was left feeling a tad disappointed. So I held off having an opinion on it, as I know that I have a habit of sometimes completely reversing my opinion of an episode after a second or third showing. (I have episodes in my absolute favourites list these days that I got bored watching halfway through or loathed with a vengeance, first time around. Go figure.)

Sure enough... Finally got the chance to rerun it last night and came away feeling that I'd watched a really good episode. It was, of course, fun to see Jack back offworld and his obvious delight in it was infectious. I thought his interaction with Harry was a little more subdued than usual, but, hey, he seems to be mellowing towards the guy, so that probably explained that. His bewildered face when Harry confessed and still ended up being cheered was hilarious. Loved the puddle jumper scenes, especially the Alamo joke, Daniel going all Obi Wan on Jack (and the way Jack and Carter looked at him when he did. LOL.), and them being so focused on Jack's attempts to fly that they jumped a mile when he declared he had nothing.

My only quibbles were that Carter still looks a bit wishy washy in the command area. I don't think she's uncapable at all - it's more that so far they aren't given her anything to show what she can do. Her style of command is - obviously - more relaxed and less militarily structured than Jack's and in a non-battle situation that comes off as slightly...well, wishy washy. <g> I think we need to see more of her under fire - she was good at the end of Zero Hour for instance - more under stress and team in danger. By the time that happened in this episode, Jack was back in charge, so we never got the chance to see Colonel Carter in action defending her team.

The second thing that detracted from this one for me was the complete lack of tension throughout. At no point did I ever get the impression that anyone was in serious danger. The Jaffa just don't inspire fear the way they used to, unfortunately. In fact, I ff through the final fight scene with Daniel and Teal'c. I guess familiarity really does breed contempt.

If there'd been more, on the edge of my seat, danger involved I might have elevated this one to great episode. But without it, it was still a good one that I'll revisted often and enjoy.

EDIT: Just been reading some of the other comments - as I've never seen MacGyver I had no idea that awful tune they were banging out was it. ROTFL! Brings a whole new meaning to Jack's reaction, of course. I love this forum. You learn so much here. <G>

As for Red Cloak Woman - or Geran as she was called - I'm with the poster who felt she had a bit of a crush on Harry. And for me, the scene where she spoke up for Harry after he confessed was one of the highlights of the episode. A favourite scene. I rather liked her.

Albion
            Last edited by Albion; 16 January 2005, 02:17 AM.
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
              Just been reading some of the other comments - as I've never seen MacGyver I had no idea that awful tune they were banging out was it.
              Just for the record - the tune that the band played when Jack arrived on the planet was NOT the MacGyver theme. I don't know where people got that idea.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                Just for the record - the tune that the band played when Jack arrived on the planet was NOT the MacGyver theme. I don't know where people got that idea.
                What was it?
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                  What was it?
                  I have no idea. Probably an original composition.
                  Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                    I have no idea. Probably an original composition.
                    Doesn’t matter bottom line it was awful
                    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Did anyone here mention -- forgive me if I repeat something -- the connection between the title of this episode and the DeLuise clan??

I wonder if Peter had any input into the title and the line when Jack tells Harry to "Remember... its good to be the king." -- Actually now I can't remember if its king or THE king, but anyway, I'm sure most of you are onto it already, that that line is one of the funniest parts of History of the World Part 1, spoken by Dom DeLuise. Or maybe one of the writers did it as a tweak or a nod to Peter and Family.

Anyone hear anything behind-the-scenes-y about that? In either case, its pretty funny.

Comment

I knew I'd heard that, somewhere! Thanks!

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/world/hwimages.htm

scroll down. You'll find it.
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Hmm, now I can't remember if its Mel Brooks who says it or if Dom DeLuise says it as the Ceaser, too, in the earlier scenes. Anyone got the DVD of History of the World Part 1 who can check!?

Comment

Ahh yes I knew if I hung around long enough a decent episode must eventually come along. And this was it for me. OK the storyline/plot was nothing brilliant but hey Jack, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c went through the Stargate, got into trouble, beat the bad guys and then came home again. Yep thats what Stargate used to be about and what I loved so much about it.

Also with Jack back in action (big Yipee to that), everyone reverted back to character so no stupid Carter (Gemini) or camp Daniel (PU). Everyone had a role to play and better still the guest star of the week wasnt annoying. Ive always liked Maybourne and his interaction with Jack, not up to Paradise Lost standard but none the less enjoyable.

One of the few episodes this season that is worthy of repeat viewing for me.

Comment

Thanks to reruns I saw the introduction of Harry's character back on SG1 Season 1 last night. Man has he come a long way!

I also saw the episode where he and Jack team up to get some info out of a Gou'ld who is being held by NID.

It seems that these two kind of have a weird love/hate relationship.

I dunno, I suppose there could be more to Maybourne than meets the eye. Could he have the Ancient gene that could also allow him to operate the time machine?

Comment

spoilers for Atlantis, late s1, an ep Madeleine's not seen yet

Spoiler:
                                No, I think the PJ was just dropped there by Janus from Before I Sleep
                                Last edited by Madeleine; 18 January 2005, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X