Gemini (811)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the forum

No I did not expect replicarter to betray us it was a huge surprise. Might wan't to put a spoiler box around the whole
    Spoiler:
    dakara thing.

Just a heads up.
    sigpic

Comment

May be RepliCarter's treason was a bit predictable (though her treason with Fifth was not! )... however, it is a quite good episode with a good confrontation of the two Carters, I liked the dialog at the end when RepliCarter says Carter deny her own desires,

And RepliCarter is very sexy...
      Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

Originally posted by harsiesis child
        And RepliCarter is very sexy...
        She looks exactly like carter??
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
          oh come on, her clothes make her sexier...
          Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

The broka divide?

Watch that and tell me replicarter is more sexy.
            sigpic

Comment

The broka divide?

Watch that and tell me replicarter is more sexy.
              well, it is just a matter of appreciation of course, in Broca Divide, she was more physic
              Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

Physic?
                sigpic

Comment

She doesn't look like Carter. Ok she is the same actress, but RepliCarter has something evil going on, her face change she is totally not nice. And well her clothes are very very very nice.
                  so she is not Carter, she just looks alike but isn't. There are some subtile differences that make RepliCarter a lot hotter.

Comment

Im more of a girl next door kinda guy.

Im not into the whole girl down the street blowing up stuff.

(Carter is hot without being crazy)
                    sigpic

Comment

I thought this was a fascinating episode, though I haven't quite figured out yet where I stand on the 'SG-1 were incredibly stupid/SG-1 were being proactive' viewpoint. Not bad, really, given that another entire season has passed since this episode aired. I'm not very good at making up my mind, sometimes.

My stance probably also comes from the fact that it's been quite a while since I saw this ep, so my recollection of it is a bit dim. I remember at the time deciding to set aside the whole 'What on earth are they doing, giving so much information to a replicator????' thing and just enjoy AT's performance, which I thought was excellent.

I'm not going to get into the discussions of the validity of the choices everyone made, mainly because it has already been considered in excellent (and really fascinating) detail by far better informed minds than mine earlier in the thread (thanks folks!) and I'd just be going over ground already covered. But I will say that I think both views have merit; after all, it was a prime opportunity to learn more about the human-form replicators; but it was also extraordinarily reckless (stupid, even) to allow one access to all the information in existence about the one weapon that would beat them.

The intention was sound, but the application sucked.

How about that for sitting on the fence?
                      sigpic

Comment

OOOOOH. I REMEMBER THIS EP!!!

I haven't seen it since last year but yeah it's good - I knew she was a baddie, I KNEW IT!
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

This episode was about betrayal and the cyclical nature of trust and betrayal. For true betrayal to occur there needs to be a certain gullibility because it is this that is betrayed. If you superficially trust someone for your benefit you don't really give them trust, you watch them whilst giving them what they perceive to be trust, all the while considering whether they will betray you or not, having a contingency plan if they do. This would of course have been the sensible course of events the team would have followed if they wanted to learn from the replicator but then the story of betrayal would not have been portrayed. Gullibility is for the observer to note, the person who has been gullible from thier perspective is not being gullible otherwise they wouldn't have been gullible but they are rather imparting trust. (note: you can't intentionally be gullible, you can act gullible but that would be a manipulation and more akin to giving superficial trust discussed above). So in order to be truly betrayed you must be truely trust, i.e. be gullible (the fact realised after betrayal). Hence carter acted like this. She truely sympathised and empathised with the replicator and gave it her trust. This allowed betrayal to occur and it came full circle with her saying in the end that fifth learned betrayal from her and it learned betrayal from fifth and of course realising that now she had been betrayed by it. Ultimately her betrayal came back to kick in her in the ass and perfectly aptly as she was essentially betrayed by herself!

(This is even more meaningful if you realise that the first time you betray someone you have to betray the part of yourself that knows it is wrong)

Comment

Man episodes like these just.. bother me. No, damnit, she's betraying you, stop being so damn naive! is what's going through my mind the whole time, and it becomes rather annoying just watching it all happen. The plot twist was good, but just served to make me more upset. I cannot believe they've been so stupid. You know she knows what you know and you know she knows exactly how you think but she is not neccesarily you, so you do not know how she thinks. Of course she can manipulate you. Also, it's a machine, it's way more clever than you are. (I think..) Take no risks, fix the damn "disruptor" yourself. *sigh* Well, what's done is done.

Carter, I hate you.

Also, now that I think of it.. Was daniel even in this episode?

edit: I know it's easy to say stuff like this after seeing the whole episode, but I was for shooting her the whole time.. even though I expected things to turn out okay and that sam would in the end be proven right to trust her.
                            "I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." - Jaim Lannister, a Song of Ice and Fire.

Comment

Originally posted by blazingice View Post
                              This episode was about betrayal and the cyclical nature of trust and betrayal. For true betrayal to occur there needs to be a certain gullibility because it is this that is betrayed. If you superficially trust someone for your benefit you don't really give them trust, you watch them whilst giving them what they perceive to be trust, all the while considering whether they will betray you or not, having a contingency plan if they do. This would of course have been the sensible course of events the team would have followed if they wanted to learn from the replicator but then the story of betrayal would not have been portrayed. Gullibility is for the observer to note, the person who has been gullible from thier perspective is not being gullible otherwise they wouldn't have been gullible but they are rather imparting trust. (note: you can't intentionally be gullible, you can act gullible but that would be a manipulation and more akin to giving superficial trust discussed above). So in order to be truly betrayed you must be truely trust, i.e. be gullible (the fact realised after betrayal). Hence carter acted like this. She truely sympathised and empathised with the replicator and gave it her trust. This allowed betrayal to occur and it came full circle with her saying in the end that fifth learned betrayal from her and it learned betrayal from fifth and of course realising that now she had been betrayed by it. Ultimately her betrayal came back to kick in her in the ass and perfectly aptly as she was essentially betrayed by herself!

(This is even more meaningful if you realise that the first time you betray someone you have to betray the part of yourself that knows it is wrong)
                              That's an interesting point. Having even less recollection of the ep since it aired (Sky aren't quite there yet with their reruns - still got season seven to get to yet - and I haven't got it on DVD), I have to really dredge my not-very-good-memory for thoughts on this one.

I suppose it's possible that Sam would have been so willing to trust RepliCarter simply because that's who she is - RepliCarter. She's been created by Fifth for his own purposes to be a Sam substitute. It is, in essence, a form of slavery and it's quite plausible to Sam that this other version of herself would want to take steps to end that situation. After all, it's what she would want to do. Taking the risk of being destroyed is also something that Sam would do. In a way, it's perhaps inevitable that Sam will empathise with her Replicator form and put her trust in it. She should, perhaps, know better. But even brainboxes have their days when they do something so incredibly moronic that you wonder whether someone put a 'stupid' drug in their breakfast. It's nice to know that even Sam the superbrain can have her off days. It makes her a bit more like the rest of us!

She's forgotten, though, that RepliCarter has also learned how to manipulate those around you to get what you want. Admittedly Sam wasn't intending to leave Fifth with the other Human Form Replicators in the time dilation field, but she did, essentially, use him and his eagerness to 'be' human to get the result that the team wanted. RepliCarter simply did the same back to her.

And to Fifth, for that matter!

I hope that made sense. I haven't had my breakfast yet and my blood sugar is a bit low...
                              sigpic

Comment

It's been a while since I watched the episode, so I pulled it off the shelf. I find the theme of betrayal here very interesting. Fifth learned betrayal from Carter and Replicarter learned it from Fifth. I know some say that SG-1 were too trusting - especially Carter - giving Replicarter so much access. But I think Replicarter was *incredibly* convincing. A lot of the rationale behind trusting her was the belief that she couldn't be working with Fifth. There was much evidence to support that theory and it was, in fact, true. The problem was, she wanted to get rid of Fifth to take over the galaxy herself. I think that's where the others - thinking that Replicarter is based on Carter - would not have seen this coming. I certainly didn't.

AMANDA TAPPING RULES!!! Her performance here - as Carter and as Replicarter was wonderful. She got to play a range of emotions. She even got to kick butt without breaking a sweat. And I love the fact that Replicarter is distinctly her own personality. It's in her eyes, her look. I love the moment when Fifth's ship arrives in their galaxy earlier than expected. Carter and Replicarter were both looking at a screen, they look at each other, stride over to where Teal'c is standing and end up on either side of him. They have the EXACT same walk and take the same number of steps. I watch that bit over and over. From what I understand, performing with yourself isn't easy but Amanda does an amazing job.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Working...
                                X