Gemini (811)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    I probably shouldn't post, since I don't have my thoughts clearly sorted. On the other hand, it may make the post shorter, which some people might see as a blessing.

And, right there is where we see this completely different. It seems that in your opinion, action is always better than inaction. That it's better to pursue a solution than twiddle your thumbs. Which is true, but for me, it doesn't stop there. To me, it's not enough that they did something. Doing something isn't better than doing nothing just because it's doing something. They can't just decide to try a solution. If you're going to do something, try to do something that makes sense. Yes, try to find a means of stopping the replicators. But, that means should never have included trusting one of them. Action is no better than inaction if the action is stupid. We of course don't agree that the action was stupid, but in my opinion it was. So, to me, what they did was no better than if they had just sat there and done nothing.

Can I think of something else they should have done instead? No. But, I don't think that means there wasn't another option. I just can't agree that this was a better choice than doing nothing. Doing something else would have been.
    Aah, old SG-1....so much to talk about, so many delicious ambiguities.

Ok, so we agree on the whole "SG-1 would do something" part of things, right? You just think that what they did was incredibly stupid; you say that SG-1, and Carter in particular, trusted Replicarter. Here is where we really disagree. I don't think that any of SG-1, not Sam, not Jack, and not Teal'c, ever trusted Replicarter. They tried to use her. That was the premise for the whole story. Replicarter wants to be destroyed at the beginning of the episode, but SG-1 won't do it. They want to use her to learn about the replicators' movements and intentions. Then, they want to use her to gain both a modified and unmodified disruptor to use against whatever replicators were coming. And then, even in the end, when Carter wanted to bring her back to the SGC, it was still to use her ability to link with the replicators and her knowledge of their construction (and her own) to fight them.

In other words, SG-1 thought they'd found themselves another Reese, a means of studying and finding a way to defeat the replicators. I don't see SG-1's decision here as any different than Daniel's decision in Menace. Daniel wanted to keep Reese alive, whereas Jack wanted to shoot first and ask questions later. Daniel wanted to believe that she wasn't evil, that she wasn't malevolent, and that she would help them fight the replicators. Similarly, Sam and the rest of SG-1 wanted to keep Replicarter alive to use her in the exact same way. But, just as there was no way of knowing for sure that Reese would have been able to stop the replicators, or whether she would actually have done it, likewise here there was no way for SG-1 to know whether or not Replicater was different from the other human form replicators they'd encountered or whether or not she'd be willing to help them.

Essentially, Gemini is SG-1 taking the other option, doing the exact opposite of what they did in Menace and Unnatural Selection. Rather than shoot first and ask questions later, like last time, here they tried to manipulate the unstable element and took the chance on an unknown quantity. Shooting Reese dead lead to the events of Unnatural Selection, where SG-1 (Jack in particular) again went with the "don't take a chance" course of action when he left Fifth behind. That decision resulted in another bad set of circumstances, which played themselves out in New Order.

Lost amidst the great debate about whether or not SG-1 was stupid in Gemini is the episode's true intention. Here SG-1 went down that other path, the one they ignored in Menace and Unnatural Selection. The delicious, well executed irony is that bad, even worse things happened. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I see Gemini as a sequel to Menace, one where the "other option" is explored. I don't think Jack or Daniel was "wrong" in Menace. And I don't think anyone was "wrong" in Gemini. I just think that there's no good, sure fire way of dealing with the replicators. Or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
      Ok, so we agree on the whole "SG-1 would do something" part of things, right? You just think that what they did was incredibly stupid; you say that SG-1, and Carter in particular, trusted Replicarter. Here is where we really disagree. I don't think that any of SG-1, not Sam, not Jack, and not Teal'c, ever trusted Replicarter. They tried to use her. That was the premise for the whole story. Replicarter wants to be destroyed at the beginning of the episode, but SG-1 won't do it. They want to use her to learn about the replicators' movements and intentions. Then, they want to use her to gain both a modified and unmodified disruptor to use against whatever replicators were coming. And then, even in the end, when Carter wanted to bring her back to the SGC, it was still to use her ability to link with the replicators and her knowledge of their construction (and her own) to fight them.

In other words, SG-1 thought they'd found themselves another Reese, a means of studying and finding a way to defeat the replicators. I don't see SG-1's decision here as any different than Daniel's decision in Menace. Daniel wanted to keep Reese alive, whereas Jack wanted to shoot first and ask questions later. Daniel wanted to believe that she wasn't evil, that she wasn't malevolent, and that she would help them fight the replicators. Similarly, Sam and the rest of SG-1 wanted to keep Replicarter alive to use her in the exact same way. But, just as there was no way of knowing for sure that Reese would have been able to stop the replicators, or whether she would actually have done it, likewise here there was no way for SG-1 to know whether or not Replicater was different from the other human form replicators they'd encountered or whether or not she'd be willing to help them.

Essentially, Gemini is SG-1 taking the other option, doing the exact opposite of what they did in Menace and Unnatural Selection. Rather than shoot first and ask questions later, like last time, here they tried to manipulate the unstable element and took the chance on an unknown quantity. Shooting Reese dead lead to the events of Unnatural Selection, where SG-1 (Jack in particular) again went with the "don't take a chance" course of action when he left Fifth behind. That decision resulted in another bad set of circumstances, which played themselves out in New Order.

Lost amidst the great debate about whether or not SG-1 was stupid in Gemini is the episode's true intention. Here SG-1 went down that other path, the one they ignored in Menace and Unnatural Selection. The delicious, well executed irony is that bad, even worse things happened. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I see Gemini as a sequel to Menace, one where the "other option" is explored. I don't think Jack or Daniel was "wrong" in Menace. And I don't think anyone was "wrong" in Gemini. I just think that there's no good, sure fire way of dealing with the replicators. Or something like that.
      The issue is not that they kept Replicarter alive, the way it was in Menace.

The issue is not that they kept her on base, the way it was in Menace.

The issue is that they handed a replicator the technical schematics, and a sample, of the only known effective weapon against the replicators. Knowing that the replicators are programmed to learn, adapt, survive, and multiply. Knowing that deception wasn't a concept that was foreign to Fifth, and therefore it was reasonable to assume it wasn't foreign to Replicarter either. Knowing that replicators are far more technologically advanced than we are, and our knowledge of how replicators communicate with each other was extremely limited, and it was therefore quite likely that Replicarter could be in communication with all of the other replicators, in a way that we couldn't detect. They still handed a replicator everything she would need to know about the only known effective weapon against the replicators.

Not only that, but they handed her the information, and the weapon itself for testing, for the expressed purpose of allowing Replicarter to find a way to circumvent it. Because, according to her, she had to find the bug in order to find the cure.

I'm pretty sure that's what Dani was referring to when s/he mentioned stupidity.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
        The issue is not that they kept Replicarter alive, the way it was in Menace.

The issue is not that they kept her on base, the way it was in Menace.

The issue is that they handed a replicator the technical schematics, and a sample, of the only known effective weapon against the replicators. Knowing that the replicators are programmed to learn, adapt, survive, and multiply. Knowing that deception wasn't a concept that was foreign to Fifth, and therefore it was reasonable to assume it wasn't foreign to Replicarter either. Knowing that replicators are far more technologically advanced than we are, and our knowledge of how replicators communicate with each other was extremely limited, and it was therefore quite likely that Replicarter could be in communication with all of the other replicators, in a way that we couldn't detect. They still handed a replicator everything she would need to know about the only known effective weapon against the replicators.

Not only that, but they handed her the information, and the weapon itself for testing, for the expressed purpose of allowing Replicarter to find a way to circumvent it. Because, according to her, she had to find the bug in order to find the cure.

I'm pretty sure that's what Dani was referring to when s/he mentioned stupidity.
        And if they had any intention beyond killing her after they got as much intel as they could from her, I'd agree, but it was a given that Replicarter would die as soon as her value as a military asset had expired.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          And if they had any intention beyond killing her after they got as much intel as they could from her, I'd agree, but it was a given that Replicarter would die as soon as her value as a military asset had expired.
          The expressed plan was to allow Replicarter to figure out how to circumvent the only known effective weapon against the replicators. And then destroy her. With the weapon. After she'd learned to circumvent it.

I'm a computer programmer, not a trained tactician, by any means. And even I saw the huge gaping flaw in that plan, the moment they came up with it.

In fact, the only thing that Replicarter did in that entire episode that surprised me, was the fact that she was betraying Fifth as well. I have to admit I didn't see that coming.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine

Not only that, but they handed her the information, and the weapon itself for testing, for the expressed purpose of allowing Replicarter to find a way to circumvent it.
            Yes, they did all that. I get that those are the reasons why people have trouble with the episode. But I think that that external view of the situation is the problem. Looking at things from the outside, as a viewer and as your summary of events does, disregards the context of the situation that SG-1 was presented with. As I said in my original post (the one from last year sometime), the whole episode hinges on the decision that was made back at the SGC to interact with Replicarter at all. After that, SG-1 is merely stuck with a decision to take action or not. Saying that SG-1 shouldn't have done all of the things you laid out is all well and good, but that leaves them with the fact that Fifth is coming, immune or not. If you're of the opinion that they shouldn't have tried to use Replicarter to gain intel on the replicators, then that's a valid opinion. What I'm saying is that you can't allow them to find out that Fifth is coming to the galaxy, possibly immune to the disruptor, and then expect SG-1 to not avail themselves of the only chance they have of stopping his impending arrival.

Moreover, while the possbility existed that Fifth hadn't come up with a cypher for the disruptor, it was more than likely that he had. As is stated in the episode, "Fifth has a fair knowledge of Ancient technology taken from the databanks of assimilated Asgard ships." On top of that, he had just infested the new Asgard homeworld. To blithely dismiss the possiblity that he and his brethren had found a means to counter the disruptor would have been as big a tactical mistake as merely assuming he had. Taking the course they did, SG-1 was offered the possibility of ending up with a weapon to fight Fifth either way.

Ultimately, my point is that SG-1 was being proactive, which is the course they've always taken. Whether or not you believe that SG-1 was stupid or not, they acted in character, which was the point of that original post in the first place.

This whole should they/shouldn't they debate applies to many situations. For instance, in Avalon the SGC makes the same choice when they trust Vala. Using your method of summation, they willfully opened the door to a known enemy, one who had previously attacked the Prometheus and left its crew for dead. Had she had more nefarious intentions beyond "attaching" herself to Daniel, fans would no doubt be deriding Mitchell, Landry, and Daniel for being such utter dunces. Only the eventual outcomes in Gemini and Avalon allow the viewers to call one decision the right one and one decision the wrong one. But without that hindsight bias, SG-1 simply acts the same both times.

P.S. Sorry it's taking so long to respond, I keep getting pulled away tonight.

Comment

Yes, they did all that. I get that those are the reasons why people have trouble with the episode. But I think that that external view of the situation is the problem. Looking at things from the outside, as a viewer and as your summary of events does, disregards the context of the situation that SG-1 was presented with. As I said in my original post (the one from last year sometime), the whole episode hinges on the decision that was made back at the SGC to interact with Replicarter at all. After that, SG-1 is merely stuck with a decision to take action or not. Saying that SG-1 shouldn't have done all of the things you laid out is all well and good, but that leaves them with the fact that Fifth is coming, immune or not. If you're of the opinion that they shouldn't have tried to use Replicarter to gain intel on the replicators, then that's a valid opinion. What I'm saying is that you can't allow them to find out that Fifth is coming to the galaxy, possibly immune to the disruptor, and then expect SG-1 to not avail themselves of the only chance they have of stopping his impending arrival.

Moreover, while the possbility existed that Fifth hadn't come up with a cypher for the disruptor, it was more than likely that he had. As is stated in the episode, "Fifth has a fair knowledge of Ancient technology taken from the databanks of assimilated Asgard ships." On top of that, he had just infested the new Asgard homeworld. To blithely dismiss the possiblity that he and his brethren had found a means to counter the disruptor would have been as big a tactical mistake as merely assuming he had. Taking the course they did, SG-1 was offered the possibility of ending up with a weapon to fight Fifth either way.

Ultimately, my point is that SG-1 was being proactive, which is the course they've always taken. Whether or not you believe that SG-1 was stupid or not, they acted in character, which was the point of that original post in the first place.

This whole should they/shouldn't they debate applies to many situations. For instance, in Avalon the SGC makes the same choice when they trust Vala. Using your method of summation, they willfully opened the door to a known enemy, one who had previously attacked the Prometheus and left its crew for dead. Had she had more nefarious intentions beyond "attaching" herself to Daniel, fans would no doubt be deriding Mitchell, Landry, and Daniel for being such utter dunces. Only the eventual outcomes in Gemini and Avalon allow the viewers to call one decision the right one and one decision the wrong one. But without that hindsight bias, SG-1 simply acts the same both times.

P.S. Sorry it's taking so long to respond, I keep getting pulled away tonight.
              What he said.

They had Replicarter, and trust her or not, she was a vital military asset who shared Sam's memories but not her soul. Were they manipulated by her? Without question. But given the situation, what other course of action could they possibly have taken to stop Fifth since they had to accept the possibility/probability of his immunity and his arrival? They were going to use Replicarter to help create a way to destroy Fifth and then destroy her. What else could they have done?

As you pointed out, they had two choices. They could either hope that Replicarter was lying about Fifth being immune and about him coming to their galaxy or be proactive...and being SG-1 they chose the latter rather than the former, again with the full intention of destroying Replicarter once they were assured that they were protected against Fifth.

Funny thing though. Had Replicarter not escaped, she would not have captured Daniel, Daniel wouldn't have been taken to the diner (hovering between life and death), and all life in the galaxy would have been extinguished by Anubis.

I'm just sayin'.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

But, it's not so much about whether or not they believed Fifth had found a means to counter disrupter as it's (to my mind) about them believing that Replicarter would want to help them.

Only if acting proactively, whether or not it's stupid, is in character. I still think they wouldn't have been proactive in this way. I think it was out of character, not for them to consider that Fifth was on the way, but to consider that the Replicarter would do anything but betray them. I mean, the thought that she would do anything to help them should never have crossed their minds.

Yes, they could and probably should have refused to let Vala enter the SGC. Or, at least have had her come in under guard and put in a holding cell. But, they didn't give her the keys to the Prometheus, or sit her down and teach her the Gate dialing system. If they had done that, that would have been beyond stupid.

Funny thing though. Had Replicarter not escaped, she would not have captured Daniel, Daniel wouldn't have been taken to the diner (hovering between life and death), and all life in the galaxy would have been extinguished by Anubis.

I'm just sayin'.
                Sorry, that reasoning doesn't fly with me. So, a to my mind stupid decision ultimately results in a good thing -after a whole lot of horrible stuff in between, doesn't make the decision itself any better. It just means something good came out of it.

And, how could they have ever been assured that they would have been protected? They were going to destroy the Replicarter after she helped them, but they still would have had to take on faith that she would help them. I mean, she was smart. Smarter than they were, so she knew they weren't going to set her loose. So, it's not like she had any reason at all to help them. Why would they assume that she would help them in any circumstance?

So, really, one of my problems isn't that they trusted that she was telling the truth about Fifth coming. It's that they trusted that she would ever, under any circumstance, help them.

And, again, I don't have an alternative. I'm also not a tactician. But, I don't believe they would consider this a viable option.
                Last edited by Dani347; 13 February 2006, 07:51 PM.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally Posted by Dani347
                  But, it's not so much about whether or not they believed Fifth had found a means to counter disrupter as it's (to my mind) about them believing that Replicarter would want to help them.
                  To me, it's not a matter of believing that she wanted to help them. It was a matter of believing that she wanted to stop Fifth, regardless of whether or not it helped Earth. SG-1, and Sam in particular, correctly inferred that Replicarter harbored no loyalty to Fifth. For SG-1, it was a matter of using her as a tool.
                  Only if acting proactively, whether or not it's stupid, is in character. I still think they wouldn't have been proactive in this way. I think it was out of character, not for them to consider that Fifth was on the way, but to consider that the Replicarter would do anything but betray them. I mean, the thought that she would do anything to help them should never have crossed their minds.
                  Why is that out of the realm of possibility? Fifth helped them in Unnatural Selection. And then, despite their betrayal of him, he still let Carter go in New Order. Given those past actions, I don't see why the idea that a replicator might be helpful to them, especially one who's somewhat based on Carter, is so unbelievable.
                  Yes, they could and probably should have refused to let Vala enter the SGC. Or, at least have had her come in under guard and put in a holding cell. But, they didn't give her the keys to the Prometheus, or sit her down and teach her the Gate dialing system. If they had done that, that would have been beyond stupid.
                  But that's my point. They did do the equivalent; they gave Vala access to the Prometheus again. Sure, she was with Daniel the whole time, and yeah, the ship was full of crew, but that didn't really stop her from having her way in Prometheus Unbound. And I have to believe that if she wanted to, she could have wreaked similar havoc this time.

I think you're now trying to differentiate between levels of wrong or right decisions. They took a chance on Vala. They took a chance on Replicarter. One worked out, one didn't.
                  Sorry, that reasoning doesn't fly with me. So, a to my mind stupid decision ultimately results in a good thing -after a whole lot of horrible stuff in between, doesn't make the decision itself any better. It just means something good came out of it.
                  Yeah, sorry Uber, but that reasoning doesn't really fly with me either. That's just looking back on the situation with hindsight bias too, not examining the decisions being made within context. The ends don't justify the means. So much for the shared brain theory. Now I'll have to do all my thinking on my own. Uh oh.

Comment

Whoa...I didn't supply that observation as a means of justifying what happened in Gemini. I don't feel I have to since I don't think any of them did anything in particular wrong here beyond not killing Replicarter on the spot.

I just was pointing out that as a consequence of Gemini, which was a consequence of New Order, which was a consequence of Unnatural Selection, which was a consequence of Menace (or at least everything thereafter would have played out differently had the Asgard had Reese to work with as a reference), the galaxy was spared the annihilation planned by Anubis.

Now gimme my brain back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347

And, how could they have ever been assured that they would have been protected? They were going to destroy the Replicarter after she helped them, but they still would have had to take on faith that she would help them. I mean, she was smart. Smarter than they were, so she knew they weren't going to set her loose. So, it's not like she had any reason at all to help them. Why would they assume that she would help them in any circumstance?

So, really, one of my problems isn't that they trusted that she was telling the truth about Fifth coming. It's that they trusted that she would ever, under any circumstance, help them.

And, again, I don't have an alternative. I'm also not a tactician. But, I don't believe they would consider this a viable option.
                      What other option did they have but to use whatever they could learn from Replicarter, either willingly or otherwise, to defend themselves from Fifth?

It's not like they had a bevvy of options available to them. If Fifth really was coming and really was now immune to the Asgard device (as they had to consider was the truth), what means did they have to fight him and win? Like golfbooy pointed out, every time they'd encountered them in the past, they made it out of there by the skin of their teeth and as a result of an extraordinary and unduplicatable event.

What options did they have available to fight Fifth beyond using whatever they could get out of Replicarter?

She knew how to manipulate everyone at the SGC. She knew they'd have to do something to defend the galaxy from the replicators and she played them all like fiddles...but I can't think of anything they could have done differently to prevent what happened other than to kill Replicarter immediately like she had originally requested. But once they learned that Fifth was on the way, the rest was inevitable.

Replicarter had Sam's mind and knew exactly what buttons to push to make things happen the way she wanted...and she knew she would win the second she came through the gate and Teal'c didn't kill her because of the choices she knew they'd make and the chances they'd take to prepare themselves to fight Fifth.

And perhaps Sam was a little taken in by Replicarter. Not really surprising as they shared the same memories and all and Replicarter would know exactly how to get her human counterpart to do what she wanted. But really whether or not Sam was taken by Replicarter, it would have changed nothing as they still would have had to actively defend against an impending attack by Fifth.

Comment

I don't know what other choice. I can't say what else they could have done. I'm saying why would they think that they could learn anything from her? Why would they think it was even possible to learn anything? You say they could only use what they could get out of her. Then, you have to assume that it was at all possible to get something out of her. Why did no one consider that she could be telling the truth about Fifth, and in the end, would screw them over? And, if I'm forgetting that, and they did consider it, and they still turned over everything (including Sam letting the Replicarter into her head) well, I find that even worse.

especially one who's somewhat based on Carter, is so unbelievable.
                        To my mind, it's because she was based on Sam that they should have been quadruple more suspicious of her motives. Because she would know how to manipulate Sam better than anyone. Someone is from a race of your enemies, first warning sign goes up. Someone has your face and your memories? 10,000 warning signs and bells and whistles go up. Plus, that she would actually help them with a weapon that would destroy her? Oh, sure, she did the little song and dance about not wanting to live or some such thing (doing this from distant memory) probably going under the notion that the addleminded humans would buy it. She bluffed big, and it worked. If she honestly helped them, she'd be putting herself in danger. There wasn't a disruptor in Unnatural Selection, so it wasn't a matter of when Fifth had let them go (and, I haven't seen the episode so correct me if I'm wrong) it was 100% sure that they would be able to kill him later. But, if the Replicarter had helped them, even indirectly (because of her supposed motives to betray Fifth) they would have been able to kill her.

Plus, even if Fifth let them go, I still wouldn't use that as a benchmark for what another replicator might do. What if a Goa'uld had helped them at one time? Then, another one came and told them that a whole fleet of motherships were coming after them. The Goa'uld says he/she doesn't want to do the whole god/enslavement thing anymore, and he/she tells them that she'll (screw it, Goa'uldy's a female) tell them exactly how to defeat them. Even though what she says will mean that they're guaranteed a victory over her. Not just that they'll live another day to fight and possibly win. That through her help, they'll definitely be able to win. As long as they turn over all the weapons they have against fighting the Goa'uld over to her. Those warning flags would be going off again.

Look, like I said, I'm not going to be able to give you an answer to what else they could have done differently. That might weaken my argument, but that's how it stands. Then again, I'm neither a brilliant scientist/soldier, or general of a facility that's been fighting aliens for 8 years, or a warrior and student (from Bra'tac) of over 100 years worth of experience. And, neither am I someone who's been writing for a tv show for years.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Great episode

Did not take the time to read the ramblings above this post, but great episode.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
                            Great episode

Did not take the time to read the ramblings above this post, but great episode.
                            Some people find long, carefully thought-out posts very worthwhile indeed. They're more likely to contain unique insights or interesting stuff than posts which have two words and no more to say about the topic

Madeleine

Comment

Yes I understand that, I have done so in many threads.

However I prefer to type short little snidbits they seem to be much funner.

(IMO)
                              sigpic

Comment

Well i haven't read all the posts, but i will when i have the time

So let me tell you what i thought of this episode. I liked it a lot. It is one of my favourites off the season and of the whole show.
                                Well i liked it a lot cos there is a lot of AT in it. and well she is a great actress. but that isn't the only reason. Just the story is nice Replicater Carter who dubble cross the SGC as fifth. And you really didn't expected that.(well i didnt maybe you did but i did not)
                                And it's nice cause now she is indistructable, you can't kill her, (Spoilers for a later ep)
                                Spoiler:
                                well yeah not until the fiend the wapen on Dakara.
                                And she is so evil.
                                And the fight between Carter and Replicator Carter was very nice done.
                                Last edited by Madeleine; 27 May 2006, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X