Affinity (807)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brihana25
    None of it should have ever been as straight-forward as Sam/Pete are turning out to be. Because the way things are set to go now, no matter which way they go, a lot of people are going to end up hurting at the end.

[...]

And on the whole, I'd venture to say that a large number of us - shippers, noromos, slashers, genners alike - would be a heck of a lot happier than we are.
    I'm coming to the same conclusion myself. There are far too many people who this arc is going to make unhappy. It's like the producers have delved into an entire realm of the fandom they thought they had a handle on... and they didn't.

Everyone is going to find a reason to declare that their own pairing is canon. And for a long time lots of people were able to find things in episodes that made people happy, and none of it had to be about winning and loosing. Well... some of us lost, but that had nothing to do with 'ship' on the show.

Now though, it does seem to be about winning. That takes a lot of the fun out of discussing the possiblities in the show. That's why I keep saying that if people want unambigious ship, they should look at fan fic. That really is the place for it. That is where you can find Carter/O'Neill to your hearts content... or Sara/Jack, or Fraiser/Hammond, or Fraiser/Carter, or O'Neill/Jackson, or Chevron Guy/Siler, or Jack/Thor .... or on and on and on.

Really, there is a place in fan fic for EVERYONE. But when you bring it to the show, it becomes about winning and loosing.

Comment

And this is where they've gone and screwed everyone - and every story - up.

None of it should have ever been as straight-forward as Sam/Pete are turning out to be. Because the way things are set to go now, no matter which way they go, a lot of people are going to end up hurting at the end.

If Sam and Pete stay together, I'll be thrilled, but you'll be miserable.

If Jack and Sam get together, you'll be thrilled, but I'll be miserable.

They never should have done this to any of us. They never should have put Jack/Sam on the screen as anything other than friends, leaving everything and anything else up to *us* to create. If they'd never put them onscreen the way they did last season, I'd still be a J/S shipper myself. There would have been no need for Pete. And on the whole, I'd venture to say that a large number of us - shippers, noromos, slashers, genners alike - would be a heck of a lot happier than we are.
      Yeah, I agree with this, I'm happier to have it ambiguous, so I can project away to my heart's content, however, I hate the Pete character. So if Sam and Pete stay together I'll be miserable, you'll be thrilled. If Sam and Pete don't get together, I'll be thrilled but will you be miserable? Hope not.

My point being, it doesn't have to be all about Sam/Pete or Sam/Jack, there could be Sam/No Pete and Sam/No Jack, there only being Sam/Jack in my shippy, fanfic fuelled dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
        If Sam and Pete don't get together, I'll be thrilled but will you be miserable? Hope not.

My point being, it doesn't have to be all about Sam/Pete or Sam/Jack, there could be Sam/No Pete and Sam/No Jack, there only being Sam/Jack in my shippy, fanfic fuelled dreams.
        I absolutely agree. If they *do* end up breaking Sam and Pete up, but do it in such a way that I can still see them working things through and getting back together - no, that wouldn't make me miserable. It would be the exact same to me as Jack and Sara are now. No, we don't "see" them together, but in my mind they can be.

There is a way to end this show with *everyone* happy. I've said it over and over and over again, and I'll keep saying it right up until the end. Until the credits have rolled on the final episode, I will believe that TPTB can make everyone happy if they want to.

But ending the show with Jack and Sam together is not the way.

If Pete and Sam break up amicably and go their seperate ways as two people who have learned and grown and still care for each other, I - as a Sam/Pete shipper - will be happy because I'll be able to go out into the fanfic realm and *find* them still together, or back together, or working toward being together again.

If Jack and Sam "ride off into the sunset" at the end, then that can't happen for me. And it won't just be the Sam/Pete shippers being dumped on. It'll be the Daniel/Sam shippers, the Teal'c/Sam shippers, the Jack/Sara shippers, the Jack/Daniel slashers, the Jack/Teal'c slashers, the Jack/Laira shippers, and on and on and on. Every single pairing these two have *ever* been involved in will be destroyed, and every single fan who has ever enjoyed those pairings will be left feeling betrayed.

And when you think about it, to the J/S shippers, if they *don't* end up together in the end, in canon, onscreen - is it really that big of a deal? In light of the fact that so many different groups are going to be left blowing in the wind if they get what they want - would it really be that horrible to have J/S left in fanfic where they belong?
        ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer That is where you can find Carter/O'Neill to your hearts content... or Sara/Jack, or Fraiser/Hammond, or Fraiser/Carter, or O'Neill/Jackson, or Chevron Guy/Siler, or [I
          Jack/Thor[/I] .... or on and on and on.

Really, there is a place in fan fic for EVERYONE. But when you bring it to the show, it becomes about winning and loosing.
          A bit OT, but judging from your sig pic (adorable BTW, love that scene) how come you didn't throw a bone to all the Sam/Thor shippers out there?

I mean, come on, they did spend all that time on his ship alone in Small Victories, and they hugged!!!

And it wasn't AU, time loop, concussion-induced or any other abnormality. That's a heck of a lot more than the other shippers ever get!!

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
            I had my "No More Games" sig a few months ago, and I still stand by it.

It is becoming about winning and losing, and about who feels they deserve what, no matter what the cost to anyone else.

Yes, Sam/Pete getting married will make me happy, but it certainly won't make the J/S shippers happy. And I would rather the *real people* in this equation be happy than a couple of fictional characters, and I would rather all of us be happy than just the Sam/Pete shippers.
            ~bri~

Comment

No one has mentioned the Horror that was Teal'c's wardrobe!!!!! It was horendous!

Obvious Pete comments.....Threads better be a darn good episode and fix that whole Sam saying yes mess. Whilst I do not want to see Sam and Jack acting like teens on heat every episode and in a full relationship, I think an established relationship and occasional canoodling should be there.

What was with the Hip Hop music...TBTB trying to recapture their youth lol? Sounded very out of place.
              ***THIS SPACE FOR RENT***

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                I agree that you could be right (it doesn't bother me either way), but you've kind of missed out Charlie in your analysis. Could the love in Jack eye's be for his only son? I wonder...
                Of course it could, but that's not what I was talking about, so I haven't missed out on anything.

I was talking about what *I* saw in that scene. What *I* saw was a man who loves his wife and misses his son, and would rather have his family back than the job he has now.

No, I didn't miss out on anything. I just wasn't talking about Charlie at the time.
                ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
                  A bit OT, but judging from your sig pic (adorable BTW, love that scene) how come you didn't throw a bone to all the Sam/Thor shippers out there?
                  Was referring to the fact that I'd actually seen Jack/Thor ship stories. Which made me have all sorts of scrub out the brain thoughts. I have not seen Sam/Thor stories... and if you have, please don't feel the need to send me a link.

Comment

Ya know..I didn't think i'd like this episode...but it turned out to be one of my favorite.

I just wish there was a story happening in season 8...and by the looks of it it will have something to do with NID and ancients. I just hope the plot picks up more.
                    It feels good to be alive.
                    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

It was a good episode overall, I liked seeing Teal'c a bit out of his element, but what were those writers thinking?!!!? I know Jack and Sam can't get together, but does anyanoe else think the writers are just throwing in as many plot twists as possible just because it''s the last season?

Comment

Originally posted by Gategirl12000
                        It was a good episode overall, I liked seeing Teal'c a bit out of his element, but what were those writers thinking?!!!? I know Jack and Sam can't get together, but does anyanoe else think the writers are just throwing in as many plot twists as possible just because it''s the last season?
                        I know! It's completely unbelievable that Pete is immune to the Black Widow curse.....

Maybe they are building up to a dramatic and messy death for pete?
                        sigpic

Comment

Frankly, I hope they are. No man (barring Jack) that Carter has ever loved is immune to the black widow's curse. I say "Death to Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Anyone agree with me?

Comment

Originally posted by Gategirl12000
                            Frankly, I hope they are. No man (barring Jack) that Carter has ever loved is immune to the black widow's curse. I say "Death to Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Anyone agree with me?

No offense. But I hope the writers show a bit more imagination.
                            Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Originally posted by Dolby1000
                              A truly awful episode.

Come on people, we have cannot accept formulistic crap like Affinity.
                              "We" most certainly can. Actually, we don't have a choice in the matter other than watch/don't watch.
                              Why would the SGC let T'lc live in such a ramshackle neighborhood?
                              [...]
                              I don't want murder plots and touchy feely Sam/Pete/Jack or T'leac/woman of the week stuff.
                              [...]
                              T'leac, even as a fish out of water, just isn't that stupid.
                              And learn to spell "Teal'c" correctly before you ever post again, ya stupid newbie!!

(BTW, the smiley is intended to indicate that I'm just kidding. Just so there's no doubt here.)
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

No matter what happens on the show, I will always maintain that Jack loves Sara. Why? Because I want him to. I have been shipping Jack/Sara since 1997, and I seriously doubt that I'm going to stop any time soon.

This is a good point, Brihana

Jack/Sara fic has been around since season 1--long before Jack/Sam was overt.

I wouldn't expect the Jack/Sara shippers to stop shipping for them any more than I would expect Jack/Sam folks to suddenly stop shipping because Sam/Pete are now canon.

I think it's impressive that people saw so much chemistry between Jack and Sara in one episode that there are still fans of the pairing.
                                Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Working...
                                X