• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    Some, SOME just some want that.

Dam you and your semantics ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Vesian
      1. I am getting SICK and TIRED of the ****ing NID. Every single episode that revolves around this organization just puts me to sleep and makes me want to destroy my TV. What's worse, is that TPTB keep coming up with new reasons to put these idiots BACK into the show, with different names, different people, etc.. It's just really getting annoying. Actually, that's half true. I can tolerate Mayborne. Anyone else, however, annoys the crap outta me.
      It was the Trust, not the NID. Allthough they are very NID-esque, they are more evil than the NID, because at least the NID wanted to protect earth. These guys just want to make a buck.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
        It was the Trust, not the NID. Allthough they are very NID-esque, they are more evil than the NID, because at least the NID wanted to protect earth. These guys just want to make a buck.
        Daneil made several references throughout the episode to how the rogue NID were now calling themselves "The Trust," which insinuates that they are indeed the same organization. We have not been dealing with the NID for the past 8 years, we have been dealing with a rogue element. So, when I refer to the "NID", I am referring to the annoying, splinter in your hand organization that TPTB seem to rely on as filler for episodes, which is becoming increasingly overused.

Comment

2. Stalker Pete - Yep, marriage, frusterating. Anyone else remember watching "Stargate - The Lowdown" and hearing Amanda's quote about how she thought people didn't like her with Pete because they didn't want her character to evolve? It's actually not that at all. We want to see her feminine character. We want her to evolve. We simply want her to evolve to Jack and not pete. Sheesh.
          I'm not picky about who she evolves with, really she can evolve with Agent Barratt if she likes but at the moment she doesn't seem to be evolving forward, she seems to be evolving backwards. My problem with Pete is that Carter has changed into this desperate little woman whose ovaries are screaming and is afraid that she's never going to find a man, so she has to settle for the first stalker that crosses her path. Barratt on the other hand, already knew about the stargate program so that wasn't an issue and he could be easily integrated into storylines instead of having him tacked on or turning the program into Stargate:CSI. Was there even any sci-fi this episode besides the ringing up of the bad guys?

Comment

I personally don't care for Pete. I'm a Sam/Barret shipper all the way. Oh, and in other news:

Originally posted by raeble
            ...so she has to settle for the first stalker that crosses her path...
            Comments like that just crack me up. What's next, a whole page devoted to how he's a traitor to his country... no wait that was Jonas wasn't it. LOL!

I'm sorry this is just too funny. I stand by my comment - if Sam had shunned Pete and ran into Jack's arms this would've been a "Team Ep", but because she did the opposite it's "not Stargate" and "like Melrose Place". Pah-thetic.

BYE
            Last edited by AlphaBlu; 22 August 2004, 03:23 AM.
            "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Just because I called him a stalker flipantly doesn't mean I'm going to waste my time writing a page long essay of character analysis.

I don't agree with your statement, this relationship business is being given too much prominence. If she ran back to Jack I wouldn't have felt it was a team episode. It wasn't a team episode, it was Stargate: CSI with a bit of Soap Opera on the side. There has to be a way to give the female lead a fiancee without making her seem like a desperate person and detracting from the overall sci-fi-ness. If it was one of the guys with the girlfriend/fiancee would they have made him seem desperate, behave unprofessionally and act like some character out of Days of Our Lives? Where was the sci-fi in this episode? They do sci-fi well, they shouldn't attempt to venture into the world of Soap Opera. There are plenty of other people that have been at it longer and do it better than them.
              Last edited by raeble; 22 August 2004, 07:38 AM.

Comment

To add my two cents to the Sam/Jack conversation. Sam's line could be thought of as shippy (hell, I thought it was shippy at first and started panicing ) but I can't think of anyway Jack's response was to a shippy question, it was definately about Jack's family and if he'd be on SG-1 if he was still with them.

Comment

Okay, have now seen Affinity and after stumbling through all these threads my eyes are a bit sore, so forgive me if I happen to repeat what may have already been said.

My positive reactions to this episode:

- I liked Daniel's little visit at Teal'c:s place (oh, allright, I liked all of Daniels scenes) and the discovery of the (mostly) dead plant. "I don't suppose you've tried talking to it?" Cute.

- I also liked seeing Teal'c away from the base, interacting with other people for a change. Even though he did draw attention to himself, I liked his reasons for doing so.

The not-so-positive reactions:

- The trite storyline with 'Attractive female neighbour with weird, abusive boyfriend (along with old lady and cat on arm with nothing else to do then look out the door with suspicious gaze) gets herself into trouble."

- I would also have to be in agreement with those of you who commented on the 'Karate Kid'-type scenes and those dudes in the opener with the car. Pretty silly stuff.

The give-it-a-rest-already reaction:

- Sam/Pete. This is so frustrating to me. It's just... I don't care. Let her have a boyfriend. Let her get engaged. Just don't show it to me. It takes away from those things that I really want to see, like the team interacting together, for instance.

~

I am really, *really* ready for some off-world action right about now. Come on, let's go places! Let's explore... stuff. Let's use that big, old circle which I believe is called a Stargate. Please.
                  Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                    I am really, *really* ready for some off-world action right about now. Come on, let's go places! Let's explore... stuff. Let's use that big, old circle which I believe is called a Stargate. Please.
                    What's a Stargate?
                    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by raeble
                      I'm not picky about who she evolves with, really she can evolve with Agent Barratt if she likes but at the moment she doesn't seem to be evolving forward, she seems to be evolving backwards. My problem with Pete is that Carter has changed into this desperate little woman whose ovaries are screaming and is afraid that she's never going to find a man, so she has to settle for the first stalker that crosses her path.
                      Being in the UK i can't comment on the episode itself just yet, but on this comment, what you see as evolving backwards i see as making sense. Carter is getting older, and she has just been through terrible relationship after terrible relationship. We've seen two realities where she was happy with a man, AR with Jack, and 2010 with Joe. In our reality, she cannot be with Jack as they are both in the military, and we assume that Joe is still a prisoner of the Aschen. So those who would give her a perfect relationship are unavailable. She still has feelings for Jack but is moving along with a guy who is wanting her. Look at 2010 and realise that carter said she was hoping to have had her second child by that time. That is still the same Carter, so deciding to go with a man who loves her and who will be there for her, and able to provide for her makes a lot of sense. At least, it does to me.
                      spook

Comment

Maybe it does but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps it's because the script was written by men. I'm not one of those people who bother to religiously rewatch episodes and can tell you the name of every single episode so I may be wrong about which episode you mean - this was the one where they received the blood covered warning note from the future? Because they stopped that timeline from occuring they have no recollection of that timeline hence Carter wouldn't know that she ended up with Joe. So I don't see what bearing that has on her behaviour now. Are you saying that in the entire world there are only two men that Carter can settle down with and if either of those two aren't available she then has to settle for the first man she dates? How many bad relationships has Carter been in? There was only Jonas that we have seen and we never saw the relationship. So I still can't see where all this is coming from. Maybe when I get to forty I'll understand.

Comment

Howdy Campers

*Affintiy* -- hmmm -- what did I think? (Spoilers below -- you know the drill)

* Well, it was a good show -- lots of progress forward for Teal'c and the whole Sam/Pete thing. When he held out the ring I could just hear the S/J fans' jaws all hitting the floor. Then when she said yes -- I heard screams at that point.

* Unsure about the conversation between Carter and O'Neill. The camera angles were suggesting (in my opinion at least) that O'Neill was a little shaken -- maybe? The point where he sets the ring box back on the table was a bit harsh -- he also snaps it shut. Maybe I'm just thinking too much again.

* The whole Teal'c helping others was cute. The character is so damn (I can use that word here, right? It's used on the show so...) honest, he'd help a lobster caught in a trap (I would too, but still...) I think it was a good way to show his experience as he tried to *fit in* on Earth.

* The show as a whole seemed a bit *Smoke and Mirrors* to me. Sort of a reused story line with a few new twists. It's fine to reuse storylines -- in fact I'd like to see a few revisited still.

* I'm still missing O'Neill being around more. Granted the others are doing a fine job pulling the brunt of the work -- I just really miss RDA's presence and humor. I guess I'll just have to keep telling myself the reasons for this change and it'll make it all better -- at least that's what I'm told.

* It ended rather fast -- bad guys getting away and all. They must have saved a good lump of cash by not showing the ring out. Guess they had to after *Avatar* and all of its graphics.

All in all, a good show. New developments for most of the characters and they definitely planted some seeds for the future.
                          Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Liv

~

Yes, yes, yes! I don't mind a touch of personal life for the characters periodically, so long as it doesn't interfere with the main point of the show--adventure with characters we like. Even though I generally liked this episode, (and like Sam & Pete together) I have to say--Let's get off earth already!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                              While we're here discusisng this episode, does anybody else wonder why Teal'c has absolutely not a single scar on his tummy where he used to have a big X for the symbiote pouch???
                              How could you tell? IIRC, his only shirtless scene was all dark and shadowy.
                              Originally posted by Vesian
                              Girl Next Door - WTF happened with her? She murders her boyfriend, and all of a sudden, at the end of the episode, is still out of jail and walking in the neighborhood?
                              Self defense.
                              Um.....ya....and what the heck is the deal with Teal'c sleeping with her? Does he have no concept of morality in terms of woman? I thought he was interested in Ishta...
                              I didn't see him sleeping with her.
                              We have not been dealing with the NID for the past 8 years, we have been dealing with a rogue element. So, when I refer to the "NID", I am referring to the annoying, splinter in your hand organization that TPTB seem to rely on as filler for episodes, which is becoming increasingly overused.
                              "Increasingly"? Yeah, it's only been a year and half since we last saw the rogue NID folks (in 'Smoke and Mirrors'), except for a bunch of dead corpses in 'Resurrection' (which, BTW, was the closest to an actual appearance by them for all of season 7).
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Jace021903
                                I liked the episode. I think that CJ is getting a chance to show that he is a good actor.

I liked Daniel being snarky to the bad guys. I love snarky Daniel.

I adore Pete and Sam together. They sparkle in their scenes together. The actors have great chemistry.

I also liked that the team didn't "win" at the end--the bad guys got what they wanted and poor Teal'c had to move back to the base.

I am a little puzzled about the comments about PdL and his brother. If he had so much power Col. Danning and Urgo would be recurring characters.

So, overall, a good but different episode.

Jace

I agree. I don't believe he is in control. Just because Pete was in another episode doesn't mean it has anything to do with PDL. It has to do with the fact the writers set this story up in Season 7. You can't ignore it, and the S/J shippers wouldn't want them to, not really. What would you all say if he had just appeared in Chimera and the rest of their relationship, marriage etc carried on off-screen? There certainly wouldn't be the 'opportunity' for Sam and Jack to get together, would there?

Now, having said all that. I just want to say I love PETE! I used to think Sam and Jack were meant to be. But I like the direction they've taken it. And I truly hope it keeps going that way.

That was my penny's worth.

Wendy
                                Hugs
                                sigpic
                                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Working...
                                X