Affinity (807)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brihana25
    And what are those of us who have watched since the beginning and still don't want Sam and Jack together entitled to?

I think TPTB pleased the anti-shipper Sam and Jack or the pro sam /pete this time ..with Affinity ....

....but I don't think they 'll be pleasing further regarding Sam and Pete now ( They did as much as they could with those 2, and the marriage will never happen ...too obvious ....plus sam's doubts))...

Next time an episode is slighlty personnal ..I reckon ..it's to go towards the end of the show which means ....Sam and Jack together ...and I think it's only fair for both anti-shippers Sam and Jack or pro Sam/Pete shippers and Sam and Jack shippers .....

Both side should have their fair shares ...the pro Sam/Pete had it ..now ..it's the end of that ...close chapter ...and then next time ...it should be for Sam and Jack shippers ....which means towards the end of season 8 .

Caty

Comment

Hi Everybody! I've been lurking around here for a several months now and this ep. discussion finally brought me out. I've really been enjoying reading the things you folks have to say and I just had to respond.

My hubby and I enjoyed this episode very much. We do agree with the person who said that the wardrobe people should be fired. What in the world was Teal'c wearing in the first scene? My hubby called him "Pimp Daddy". And the white t-shirt that MS wore in the park DID make him look fat, IMO.

It was great to see Teal'c getting a life, so to speak. The poor man has been locked up in that mountain for 7 years. His getting involved in everything bad that happened to other people was SO Teal'c-I thought it was very in character for him to look out for those waeker than himself. The bit with the broad was kind of obvious. Though I do have to admit that during the scene with Daniel in the warehouse, I thought for sure that she was a 'plant' working with the bad guys. Guess I was wrong.

I guess I'm gonna get in hot water my first time here, but I have to say it anyway. I like Pete. I thought Sam should have smacked him in the head to shut him up while they were in the park, but I still like the character. We loved the 'stalker' comment-laughed ours butts off. It was an obvious homage to the fans, especially when I saw that PDL wrote the ep. I liked Sam's soul-searching over this potentially huge change in her life and I think she should have had that discussion with Pete(but I know eps are only 44 or so minutes long). We thought the scene in the lab with Jack meant that if things had been different Charlie would still be alive, he'd still be married to Sara and who knows where he'd be stationed. They would probably never have met. And I think she accepted Pete's proposal because working with him to find the bad guys gave her a chance to 'see him in action' so to speak. How do I say this--she got to see his professional side, got to see that he's very good at what HE does, he's intelligent and dedicated and she realized that maybe she COULD be happy with him. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I guess I've run on at the mouth long enough about this episode. We gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. Watched it twice last night and taped it to watch it again. I'll have to keep an eye out for AT's mom. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season-everythings been pretty interesting so far.

Proud Member-Hussies Union, Local # 69

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
        I think TPTB pleased the anti-shipper Sam and Jack or the pro sam /pete this time ..with Affinity ....
        Not particularly pleased. But I'm not particularly fond of 'ship' in any form.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
          Anyway... Is anyone else a little saddened that less than a day after the episode aired, the official thread for it is already almost the longest episode thread of the season (except for the season premiere)?
          You aren't the only one, but I think those of us who had read any spoiler information about this episode knew it would be that way. The thread was already longer than the other epsiode threads within a couple of hours of the show's broadcast in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by pettygrew
            Good grief! This is just a television show.
            ok, it may just be a show-- but to many of us it is part of our life, and we like life to run with a certain sense of order. w/o pete

Comment

I liked the episode. I think that CJ is getting a chance to show that he is a good actor.

I liked Daniel being snarky to the bad guys. I love snarky Daniel.

I adore Pete and Sam together. They sparkle in their scenes together. The actors have great chemistry.

I also liked that the team didn't "win" at the end--the bad guys got what they wanted and poor Teal'c had to move back to the base.

I am a little puzzled about the comments about PdL and his brother. If he had so much power Col. Danning and Urgo would be recurring characters.

So, overall, a good but different episode.

Jace

Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

I have to agree with the negative comments on Affinity. It was a nice idea gone really, really wrong. Teal'c gets his own place--finally. I agree with the comment that the saddest part was that he had to give up his off base quarters. So sad. The thing that was most frustrating is the tease--I'm getting really tired of the cheap tease---you know where we are led in circles and told nothing. We don't know what the message was, why they needed Daniel or anything related to this bunch. This was not a good intro to them if we are to see them again. We the viewer, should be told more than the characters to keep us interested, but we know less than the characters--certainly Daniel knows more than we do. I thought the original concept of the series was done from an intelligent perspective, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. The new motto seems to be "any cheap hook will keep them watching". Frankly I'm beginning to feel like I did when I was seeing Classic Trek, season 3. It was so bad. Stargate has fallen into that same trap: It is lackluster, dull, and totally uninspiring. I can watch any of the episodes in Season One through Five and be exhilaterated even though I've seen them multiple times: but Season Seven and Eight are just not cutting it on this side of the tube. Since this is suppose to be the last season, I'm trying to stay with it, but it is hard. Like a couple of other people in this Thread, I found the stalker comment to be out of place as was the warehouse smooching. Did I mention I dislike the Pete story line? In spades, doubled! Someone tell me Season Seven and Eight are actually set in an Alternate reality adn we missed the episode that set it up!

Comment

Hey, now, no bad-mouthing the DeLuise boys! (Did I spell their name right? LOL ) Love all four of those guys, and they are ALL great on screen! I'll admit I'm not Pete's biggest fan, but I certainly don't let that carry over to David - he's cute, a great actor, and I'd love to see more of him, although not as Pete. Michael had me rollin' in "Wormhole Extreme," same for Dom in "Urgo."

Maybe it's an acquired taste?

-tera'ngan
                  nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

I didn't particularly love or hate this episode (wow, people really get worked up over the relationship stuff), but it did leave me wondering when Stargate got so... mundane?

Barring the beam out at the end, there wasn't anything in the whole show that suggested this was science fiction. I've been enjoying Atlantis more of late (and I wasn't even expecting to like that show) if only because they're actually going new and interesting places.

One Earth-based episode once in awhile I wouldn't mind, but it seems like there's been a bunch of them. If it meant spending a good chunk of time with O'Neill (i.e. Zero Hour), I probably wouldn't even notice, but wasn't the whole point of the Earth-based episodes so the new General O'Neill could be more easily involved in the stories? He was barely in the last two or three. I know about his schedule and all that, and that's fine, but if he's hardly going to be in them anyway, why not go back to the science fiction visiting new worlds kind of stuff?

Ho, hum. Maybe next week will be more interesting...
                    Fitness Buddies

Comment

I confess I haven’t read all the posts, so some of what I say will probably have been covered before.

I didn’t used to like Teal’c episodes because while I love anything with Bra’tac, I just didn’t care about Ry’ac and Dry’ac; however, these last two episodes have been terrific. I liked the way this episode focused on him, and I especially liked the way that Christopher Judge opened the character up but kept the essential qualities that we associate with Teal’c. I love the studied formality of his diction, the way he looks at other characters with full attention, the way he comes off as calm and centered. I thought it was wonderfully ironic that Teal’c would be done in by his own goodness, his sense that the purpose of the warrior is to protect the weak. The bad guys from “The Trust” were especially bad because they used their knowledge of his integrity to set up Teal’c, and then to set up Daniel.

I’m an S/J shipper, so I was less than happy; but I’d read the spoilers and knew what to expect. I think the scene in Sam’s lab is very shippy. No matter how one interprets O’Neill’s “I wouldn’t be here” it still comes off shippy. Whether he’s referring to Charlie or alternate realities or to his interactions with Carter, it’s the fact of the asking and answering that’s important.

As for Sam’s “Yes. Yes. Yes” to Pete’s proposal at the end, I think she looked happy. Not glowingly, exuberantly, in-love kind of happy. But happy that she’d finally made her decision. I know I’m looking at this through shippervision, but to me it looked like Sam spent the espisode debating with herself on whether to settle for Pete. Yes, settle. Yes, I think she does look like she’s having fun with Pete. Yes, I think it’s established that Pete’s crazy about her. But her little diatribe about single people being forced to couple off came before she’d made up her mind. Part of that diatribe was complaining about societal expectations that people find their romantic ideals. The fact that she said that meant to me that she has acknowledged to herself that Pete is NOT her romantic ideal. If she accepts his proposal, she knows she’ll be accepting ‘close, but not quite.’ After the scene with O’Neill in her lab, it’s clear that if she is going to “have a life” Pete is the likeliest candidate. O’Neill is still her commanding officer and neither one of them would violate their integrity just to be together.

By the end of the episode we—and Sam—have watched Teal’c brought down by his attempts to “have a life.” I think that affected her decision to accept Pete’s proposal. I didn’t think she said yes because ‘she’d seen him in action’ as a cop, but because he was THERE. He loves her. He’s available to her. He knows about the Stargate—even if she can’t give him details, she doesn’t have to lie. I think she decided “this guy may not be what I wanted, but I like him a lot—he’s a pretty good deal, so I’ll take what I can get.”

There are more spoilers out there that give me some hope and comfort as a shipper. Meanwhile, I think Sam is learning a lot about herself and what it really means to be in a loving, positive relationship. I don’t think she will stay in it.

But. Great job by Christopher Judge. I really felt bad for Teal’c driving back to live under the mountain.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Ship Nana
                        However, TPTB keep throwing the REGS in our faces as an excuse to not get Sam and Jack together but they can allow a butt rub while on duty!!! Sam and Jack can barely touch each other on duty and then only during life and death situations and then only on occasion. I think TPTB went way to far. Ok I can see maybe the kiss but the butt rub went way to far for my taste given all previous rules and REGULATIONS!!!

Pete's not an AF officer, so nonfraternization rules don't apply to him. It was, if anything, in simple bad taste, and insensitive of Carter, to go cooing over her new fiance when her team-mate (remember Daniel, zatted and stunned on the floor?) was still recovering. Carter is acting unprofessionally, and it has nothing to do with AF regulations that apply to Carter and O'Neill.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                          Er, why? Do cops give astrophysicists hives? Is there some chemical reaction that makes their breath bad only to astrophysicists? Do cops turn astrophysicists green and scaly? Is it some implication that a cop can't be as smart as an astrophysicist? Don't see why they can't be.
                          I have to agree with you on this one. What you do for a living should have nothing to do with who you end up with in life. It would be more plausible for Sam to have dated another soldier, FBI agent, alien, ambassador... Those are people she is most likely to meet. But, her brother introduced them. So there, they met, they date, they get engaged. (Don't particularly like that result!) But the relationship as a whole between an Astropyhsicist and Cop is not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                            Both side should have their fair shares ...the pro Sam/Pete had it ..now ..it's the end of that ...close chapter ...and then next time ...it should be for Sam and Jack shippers ....which means towards the end of season 8 .
                            So basically, you're saying that the J/S shippers deserve the end of the series to go "their" way, and the rest of us are entitled to nothing?

There should be no "this week it's this group, next week it's this other group" crap going on here.

Go back to Solitudes. I was happy. I'm going to assume you were happy.

Now think on Affinity. I was happy with the Pete/Sam scenes last night. You weren't.

So because of that, you deserve to be happy with the series finale and I don't?

How does that even make sense?
                            ~bri~

Comment

I think Sam changed her mind right there at the stakeout because of Pete's reaction to the bad guys disappearing.

He basically said "I guess you're used to this" and "another day at the office, right?" and he moved on. She said yes right after this, 'cause her biggest objection to marriage seemed to be that it wasn't fair to Pete and he wouldn't be able to handle her dangerous and classified job, but he showed by his reaction to the disappearing bad guys that he could take it in stride.

But yeah, the kiss seemed to go on a bit long for the stakeout. One kiss to seal the deal would be fine. But then break it and go back to business. I think that was the director's call to change the way that scene ended.

hrh

Comment

RE: Sam and Pete's in the park discussion.

It did strike me as jarring that they were discussing the program in public, but they didn't actually get into specifics, if I recall, name any names or talk about any operations, did they? I still would have liked Sam to say "K, Pete, we can't go any further with this."

But I don't think they gave out any pertinent info. that anyone would be able to use if they had been listening.

hrh

Comment

Working...
                                X