Affinity (807)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well looks like we have a new contender for "Worst Stargate Episode Ever"

I don't want to sound so negative, but the show is called Stargate SG-1 not Days Of Our Lives. Don't flame me, this is my opinion, but this episode bored the absolute crap out of me. 1 out of 10.
    "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Originally posted by crazylinguist
      Actually I rather enjoyed this episode. I loved to see how Teal'c got along outside the SGC. I always wondered about that. His comment about watching home decorating shows was priceless.

I really don't understand why some of you are angry at the 'stalker' thing. It shows interaction with their fan base, and I found it quite humorous actually. I don't think it was meant to be insulting in the slightest.

I don't know exactly what I feel about the whole Pete/Sam thing. I haven't really thougth about it that much yet. All I could think about when the episode ended was "Sam/Jack shippers are going to have a field day with this one..."

I find myself agreeing w/ crazylinguist. I also enjoyed seeing how Teal'c was attempting to fit in to the "real" world (ha!... in some ways we're more savage than many people on undeveloped planets).

I thought the "stalker" line was funny, not insulting. The writers are acknowledging how that particular episode came across to some of us fans (myself included), and showing us that Sam recognized it too. In other ways, Pete seems to be a nice guy. How many other guys would wait patiently for two weeks while the woman decides whether or not to marry him? Plus, he came through for her and her friends when it mattered, even before she said yes. As for the timing of the acceptance... Obviously the whole final "find Daniel" scene struck some sort of chord in her and instantly helped her change her mind. Personally I thought the actual scene itself was funny, as Carter kept repeating "Yes."

The Jack & Sam scene... it seemed like they both wanted to say so much, but were afraid to. Sam said "What if things had been different?" Did she mean things different between the two of them, and would they both still be members of SG-1? Or if things were different and his son was still alive, and would he still go through the 'gate on missions? There a hundreds of ways things could be "different." But I thought Sam's introspection about her relationship w/ Pete in relation to her job was very good. At one point when she said "what about kids?" and Jack said "plenty of people at the SGC have families." She should have replied "Yeah, but how many of them go through the 'gate?" It's certainly something to think about... you don't drop your kid off at daycare & then run off to P3X829 to see what the Goa'uld are up to. But I certainly think that even tho she said "yes," that opens more possibilities for her to change her mind to "no" or for more interesting conversations with Jack.

Almost overlooked in all of this is the real "plot" here, the group that wanted the information from Daniel. They almost seemed secondary, but obviously the effects of this will be felt in future episodes. I know they wanted something translated by Daniel, but what I don't understand is this: they want him to translate, but they said "if you don't translate it right, we'll know." What does that mean???? If they'll know if it's wrong, why don't they also know how to translate it themselves?

Comment

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Even though I'm a shipper I liked Pete much better in this episode than I did in Chimera. I'm starting to feel sorry for him. The whole time I kept thinking "You poor ba*****. Your heart is going to be broken into a zillion pieces. She took 2 weeks to say yes. Wake up and smell the indecision. Hellooo!" But then again I've never liked the thought of them introducing a significant other. And I think that the stalker line, although probably not intended to be insulting, was completely unnecessary and only served to add fuel to the fire.

The Teal'c storyline was alright. It was entertaining but I never really got too invested in it. The martial arts training montage was a little too Karate Kid for me. I kept waiting for Mr. Miyagi to show up. "Wax on, Wax off."

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Even after a nights sleep, I still felt like the 'stalker' reference was insulting... and damaging. It makes it appear that TPTB believe that behavior like he has exhibited is acceptable, and to be dismissed with a chuckle. How many women--or people in general--get killed because people don't take them seriously? Is this really a role model?

Farther more, it was enough out of place that I am thinking about it as a line that was written on the page, not something that would have rolled out of either character's mouth.
          I really don't mind that they addressed it, but the way the line was written and delivered it felt awkward and self-aware. I don't like them tossing in awkward lines like that just to respond to fans -- at least in an otherwise serious episode. A Wormhole Extreme type pretty much begs for it. However, in a serious episode, it's just gonna sound odd forever in syndication. Make the line natural and deliver it straight or just skip it.
          *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Definately not my favorite episode. I did like the scenes with Teal'c adjusting to life outside the SGC, loved the scene with him and Daniel at the apartment. I didn't like Pete in Chimera, but he was okay as the cop in this one, however I don't see him sticking around for much longer. I guess I just miss the episodes about the Stargate.

Glad they showed the previews for next weeks during Atlantis, looks like it could be an interesting episode.
            "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by sky_blue_waters
              Did anyone else spot Amanda Tapping's mom in this episode? For real. She was in the background in one of the scenes. A background extra as it were. Amanda and her mum look nothing alike. Anyone what to take a guess at which woman was her?
              I know that she was to be in the playground scene. I take it that you actually know which lady she was? Or, are we all just to guess here?
              My guess...perhaps the lady in the red coat directly behind AT during the bench scene with DDL?

Comment

This is Stargate SG-1? Affinity was even more pointless than Avatar.

I want Teal'c episodes where he's with the rebel Jaffa kicking Goa'uld butt!

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                  How many other guys would wait patiently for two weeks while the woman decides whether or not to marry him?
                  Oh, I know a few. They're very nice guys. They always put whatever woman they're dating on a bit of a pedestal. They tend to be very nice, very understanding, and accept whatever the woman has to offer. They'd happily wait two weeks for an answer then be so thrilled at the yes as to not question the delay. The end of this cycle is, of course, the woman leaves them 'inexplicably', they're crushed and don't even begin to understand how it could have gone wrong because everything was so perfect. Sounds anything like Pete's description of his divorce? I now totally buy that he was sincere in not knowing what went wrong. There were likely huge warning signs, but his type never would have seen it coming.

There's a reason they say nice guys finish last. Most guys wouldn't wait two weeks for an answer because it's a sign of serious indecision and doubts. They'd rather get an answer like, "It's just too soon. We haven't even lived in the same city, yet. Lets take it one step at a time and talk about marriage again in a few months," than no answer at all for weeks. That kind of deferral is actually a much better answer and sign for the relationship working out long term than Sam's sort of doubts that never even get discussed within the relationship. The deferral means the woman knows where she is in the relationship and what she wants from it in the short and potentially long term. Sam had no such clue. The ring surprised her completely. She wasn't thinking that kind of long-term with Pete. I think he was so surprised at the sudden yes, not because it had been two weeks, but because it came out of the blue without any discussion of whatever took her two weeks to ponder. And she really should have communicated her issues to Pete better -- especially relationship issues like family and priorities. Leaving him hanging like that with no explanation is rather lousy relationship behavior and a bad sign for their future.

I do like Pete much more in this episode than I did in Chimera. However, he now reminds me of my nice guy friends who are always getting crushed by women -- and who I think should have learned the warning signs by now. There are times to ask questions. National security matters? No. Why your grilfriend is having doubts and needs two weeks to think? Yes.
                  *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                    Was she the nosy neighbor?
                    The nosy neighbor is an actress. I've seen her before.

I doubt if she was the one thanking Teal'c. An extra getting dialogue is rare, plus they get paid more.

I'd have to rewatch it, but would she have been at the park during Sam and Pete's scene?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                      I am not a shipper, but I found the stalker line to be incredibly insulting.
                      I'm not a shipper either, but I found that remark to be the funniest thing of the whole script, which otherwise was nothing more than a copy off any number of movies on LIFETIME network in which a woman is in jeopardy, etc. etc.

I think the producers probably found all the hate mail from people screaming about 'Pete the stalker' equally if not more insulting.

I hope we're not going to get more episodes like this. The Stargate barely even showed up in this episode. I *think* I saw it in the background just once. The episode was filled with stereotypical characters - woman in jeopardy, street kid who admires Teal'c, etc.

Worse yet, Scifi didn't think much of it either I guess as they hacked off the end credits completely.

Overall, the only redeeming part of the episode were Sam and Pete and the fact that she was actually happy and said yes. Of course, being an action-adventure tv show, we know it ain't gonna last. And yeah, Daniel telling Teal'c t hat no, please don't save people all the time. IT's just not done. We Earth folk basically turn the cheek and let people get mugged

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                        Was she the nosy neighbor?

Nope,...She was the woman in the red coat next to the slippery slide, in the playground scene. She was visiting Amanda on the set and PDL put her in the scene. I guess PDL likes to grab family members of the cast and crew and put them in the show unexpectedly.

Comment

I have to say that I enjoyed this episode. I've grown accustomed to the writer's predilection toward cliches and other show/movie "homages", so those things don't bother me as much as they do some other viewers. In fact, a lot of the time it makes me chuckle.

I am just grateful that they are using Teal'c as more than someone to hold a staff weapon.

I wish they had done the introduction to the new name "The Trust" a little differently. Daniel just saying it like it was common knowledge was a bit underdone. It should have had more of an impact on the viewer by being introduced as a new revelation to the SGC. It probably would have brought that storyline more to the forefront and downplayed the personal relationships a bit more for those who don't enjoy that sort of thing with their Stargate.

I saw nothing wrong with Sam deliberating so long over the proposal. It did come as a bit of a surprise to her. She didn't appear to expect it. This is a *huge* decision for her. Even though Jack pointed out that others on the base handle having spouses and families, she is really not like *others*. She's a part of SG-1. She's a part of the first line, the top tier, so to speak. She's not the typical SF or scientist who spends all of their time on-base and just does a routine top-secret job. Her job and the ramifications of it go far beyond that of the average SGC personnel or even that of the average SG team member. I have to give Pete credit for being so patient and understanding about her needing time. (Quite a switch from how his character was portrayed in Chimera! ) Although, I would be a bit concerned about it if I were him and not just take her "yes" at face value.
                          The scenes between the two were a bit like what I didn't like about Chimera though. The desire for TPTB to portray the conflicting images of a happy lasting relationship with the harsh realities of the job result in scenes which are not entirely plausible. Examples:the playground scene where they are talking openly about the Stargate project, the acceptance and kiss while on the job. Those scenes IMO only serve to make Sam look a bit unprofessional. She deserves to be written better. (If these are the parts of the script that AT was concerned about and brought to RCC's attention...I agree with you AT!) On the other hand, Teal'c's storyline, even with the "superpowers" didn't make him seem out of character.

I will have to say that I am enjoying the start of this season much more than the start of season 7. Too many times last year, I came away with the feeling that the show was about the guest star. Pete in Chimera, Felger in Avenger, the alien brothers in Space Race, (not to discredit MS's performance) the alien soldier in Lifeboat. Not so, this year. I've finished watching every show so far this year with the image of either the team or a main cast member in my head. That's why I tune in each week. Thanks, TPTB.

Oh, and thanks for the Jack and Sam scene.
                          Last edited by Elfinwood; 21 August 2004, 07:32 AM.

Comment

"it seemed like they both wanted to say so much, but were afraid to. Sam said "What if things had been different?" Did she mean things different between the two of them, and would they both still be members of SG-1? Or if things were different and his son was still alive, and would he still go through the 'gate on missions? There a hundreds of ways things could be "different."
                            Yes, but his answer says it all. "I wouldn't be here", since he is there, there is nothing "different" about any relationship with sam, that was all in her head anyway. If he cared, he wouldn't be there in the SGC, and since he is, it follows he sees no nor has no interest in a relationship with Sam, from his own mouth!!!! "I wouldn't be here"!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                              7--what's up with that stalker comment? Is that a personal stab at shippers?
                              <snipped by moderator>
                              Ok, I'm done now in regards to "that" issue. Now for my real review:

Wow. I thought Affinity was going to be filler. I guess I have to eat my words.

*eats words*

So we're 2 from 7 now (Icon & Avatar being the only filler eps so far).

Now, specifically.

Let's start with the Erica Durance (aka Hot Woman). I liked her. All you Smallville fans can look forward to seeing her as none other than Lois Lane. Teal'c is a lucky man... alien... Jaffa... whatever.

Anyway, back to the plot. Teal'c trying to live a normal life was a lot of fun. He stops crime - he's a super hero!! That was very cool.

But seriously, Erica Durance is hot!

Ok, the NID plot came out of no where and made the episode far more interesting. They have an Asgard transporter? They want Ancient writing translated? And best of all, it isn't explained by episode's end, and the bad guys aren't caught!

Yes folks, this is another episode where we don't win.

The problem with a show that's been running as long as Stargate is is that there are only so many episodes where the team can be in peril, can be captured, can be threatened with death. We always, always know that they're going to get out of trouble, so in order to create any form of tension, you have to add in another factor - the narrative cannot be centred around "Will they make it?" because the answer is always "YES THEY WILL!".

In this case, the other factor was Lois... Erica... Krista... Hot Woman. We didn't know if she would make it, there was a chance of her dying. This, we have tension, and thus, we have a story worth watching. Furthermore, the focus of the narrative became not "Teal'c is framed" but "Why the **** do the NID want this, and why are they teleporting?". It's a switch - the plot takes a sharp turn somewhere else and the audience is left wondering "What the...?".

By episode's end we have Ex-NID up to something that we don't know (windows left open, very nice to be doing that in a show's *possible* final season), Kirsta having killed her boyfriend, and Teal'c being forced to move back to the base. Not a happy ending, well, there was a little bit of happyness...

She said YES!!!

BYE
                              Last edited by Shipperahoy; 21 August 2004, 10:27 AM. Reason: Opinions are valued but lets not take pot shots at groups of people please.
                              "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

everything happened too quickly in the episode. carter should have listened to herself, she was righ the first time. come on-- a guy who knows to call pizza places to find out regualrs is kind of scary. i would be, she shold be too. he may be brillant in that aspect-- but what makes yout hink he won't go further than he did before into your life.

we now have stalker-pete and staker-neighboor-girl-who-kills-her-boyfriend-and runs-away-with-teal'c.

i can only hope better things happen in the future.
                                Last edited by anisea; 21 August 2004, 08:54 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Comment

Working...
                                X