No announcement yet.

Lockdown (803)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed the episode. It was a good team episode IMO. Good action even for an Earth-based ep. Loved the humor. When it turned out to be Anubis, it kind of surprised me, though I guess it shouldn’t have, but I didn’t give any thought as to what the entity was that boarded the International Space Station when I first saw it. From the commercial trailers for the episode, I was expecting Daniel to come back from a mission infected with something. Must say the commercials kind of spoiled it for me because I had already deduced that poor Daniel was going to be shot by Jack and then later zatted by an infected Carter. Just had never figured it would be Anubis that would cause the base to go on alert.

I know this nit pick would have lead to only a 15-minute show, but why did Anubis alert the medical staff to the Russian when he had taken over Daniel? All he had to do was hide the guy in the closet or something, and nobody would have probably missed him at least until Daniel had gone off-world with SG-11, barring that there were no security cameras in the room.

I also though Major Kearney was a little stupid for following “Jack’s” order to set the self-destruct. I know Jack is his superior, but with what was happening, you would think he would be a little more keen on questioning why the self-destruct was going to remedy the problem since Anubis is non-corporeal. Yeah, it would prevent him from using the gate, but they already had a handle on that because all you had to do was zat anybody who attempted to go through the gate.

I know these are random thoughts, but I guess Anubis did not shoot Jack at the end because he figured they might shut down the gate, but if I were he, I would have jumped at the chance to kill the guy who destroyed my empire. Also I guess they were hoping that with the lockdown, Anubis would just eventually get tired of waiting around and risk being found out by the Ancients in order to return to his base otherwise there was no way they were going to be able to physically catch him and get rid of him. So that leads you to wonder how Jack was going to know if Anubis was really gone, because if the Ancients had been alerted to him, I doubt they would have battled it out at the SGC or informed Jack that the problem had been resolved. Even with the fake announcement to lockdown indefinitely, Anubis could have just waited it out until they resumed gate travel. What are a couple of months or years to him?

BTW, the above are just nit picks and not criticisms of the show because I still enjoyed the episode.

Didn’t much care for the doctor, but I liked the Russian. Too bad they couldn’t have kept his character, but you knew what was coming there at the end. Overall, it was a quality episode IMO, and I’m hoping next week’s is just as good or better.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Ack! 150+ posts by the time I got to this thread!

I enjoyed Lockdown. It felt like a good, solid episode with convincing team intertactions. Everybody got to play and nobody seemed to hog the camera. The Russian was GOLDEN, from start to finish! I will miss him. He could have been a very sympathetic recurring character. Oh, well, maybe his actions will make life easier on the next bunch of poor Russians sentenced to Jack's authority. "/

Not sure if it's the sound on my squinty-vision version, but Daniel sure seems to talk fast.... I loved his acting throughout, though, and I'm glad to see that different quality to his and Jack's friendship continuing from season seven. Less antagonism, more true buddy stuff.

Now Jack has shot each member of his team.

Anubis ....

I don't get that he didn't kill his worst enemy; didn't he find out, after blending with Jack, that Jack was personally responsible for blowing him and his army out of the sky? What else might he have learned about the state of Ancient tech on Earth, the Gate addy to the Pegasus galaxy, etc? Was it the Russian who prevented him from killing Jack? Would a host have such control with a guy like Anubis inside him? Or would killing Jack, who has the Ancient gene, bring down the wrath of the thus-far apathetic Ascended?

Did Sam give the addy a "KS" designation??? Anybody here know what kind of heavenly body that might refer to? He's obviously not stranded on a planet or moon, or comet or asteroid, or....

I also really, really enjoyed seeing the other members of the SGC playing a more personable role - the security guard who wasn't to keen on Jack's order to activate the self-destruct, for example, but there was an overall feeling of reality to the way the extras were acting. It felt less scripted, know what I mean?

Rock on, season eight!
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I'd like to know why Anubis didn't kill people in general. He only "wounded" the airmen he shot, whereas you'd think he'd aim for the head or the heart.

If TPTB were to be asked, my guess is they'd excuse it as "the will of the host" exerting an influence to keep Anubis from actually killing anyone. Sounds a bit hooey-ish to me, but that's the most "reasonable" excuse I can imagine.

Comment

I agree with Shadow. Anubis should or is more violent than we see here. Why was he being so 'generous' for a change?
          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            If TPTB were to be asked, my guess is they'd excuse it as "the will of the host" exerting an influence to keep Anubis from actually killing anyone.
            I think you're right. Since Anubis had no physical form, he couldn't control people completely on a basic level. Sure he could make them walk and talk and punch people in the face, be when it came down to it, he couldn't make his "host" murder people. That's why Daniel didn't shoot to kill, that's why Anubis only used one shot from a zat, and that's why Vaselev didn't kill General O'Neill.

Sounds a bit hooey-ish to me, but that's the most "reasonable" excuse I can imagine.
            Better than Anubis killing Jack...then they might have to replace RDA with Clone Jack...j/k .
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I don't want Jack to be replaced by clone! lol
              __

__

Comment

I'd like to know why Anubis didn't kill people in general. He only "wounded" the airmen he shot, whereas you'd think he'd aim for the head or the heart.
                Well, he didn't really have any reason to kill anybody. And as long as he had to keep moving from person to person, maybe he figured he might as well not kill off any potential hosts?
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                  Well, he didn't really have any reason to kill anybody.
                  I never saw Nuby as the sympathetic type. "Oh, well this is just some poor guard in the wrong place at the wrong time, so I'll shoot him in the arm so he falls down. Maybe he'll get some workman's comp out of it to help make up for my inconveniencing him."

He's tried to destroy the entire planet a couple of times, now, why suddenly balk over a few individuals?

Besides, imagine Daniel's angst, waking up to find out he'd killed a couple of people. That's great character development, that is. ...At least from the perspective of the surviving characters.

Comment

I never saw Nuby as the sympathetic type.
                    Well then, what about my 'potential host' reasoning? Anubis didn't know how long he'd have to stay there, and posessing people over long periods would kill them. Maybe he was just playing it safe by keeping as many humans around as possible. Also, the more people around the more difficult it becomes for the humans to find out which one he's in.

Or, he's just a horrible shot. The shots of Anubis' POV that we saw where somewhat obscured, maybe his eyesight just isn't that great in his current state.
                    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                      Well then, what about my 'potential host' reasoning?
                      It's a good theory, but I still think Shadow's "host influence" theory is more likely.

Or he could just be a horrible shot, who knows?
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

It doesn't make much sense that he would keep people alive as potential hosts. If I was Anubis, I'd start possessing people as soon as the lockdown was initiated. I'd force all of the SGC personnel to kill eachother until there was only one host left. Then I'd waltz my hosted self through the gate unhendered.
                        It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Well, he was able to make it to the gate room for the same reason Teal'c made it there in A Man Inside.

You know, how it seemed Kawalski was strangling him to death and then he just sort of walks off...

As much as I miss Janet, I like it how they are willing to kill characters who seemed to have magic producer protection. I'd sacrifice a character I like in the interest of making it seem like in future plotlines, that other characters I like might die. In too many scifi programs it's like 'Okay, it looks like they're in trouble, but they're obviously all going to get out alive. Next?'

And I like how the Russians are being more incorporated in the show. Maybe this new doctor will turn out to be a cool character. Unfortunately, since this is either the last or penultimate season, she'll get even less chance to win us over than Jonas.

Comment

Ok hopefully these questions haven't been answered in earlier posts I would have posted Saturday morning but very busy.

1: The opening scene in space when was that - was it a few days after Anubis was destroyed or after the events of New Order?

The above question has been asked cuz when the Russian Colonel arrives and we later find he went to see the man who was in the space station so their had to be a gap between the events of the space station and the Russian Colonel arriving.

Thats my main question really when did the events take place also how did Teal'c get to the gate room so quickly he has done it before everyone else can not get there but he can and he's armed.

2: Daniel was zatted by Carter but he seemed to not be fully affected by it, has he been zatted so many times he is used to it and was able to fight the charge of the zat. Basically did he do an O'Neill in Exdous and fight off the electrocal charge of the zat blast.

hope they haven't been asked before.

Comment

SPOILERS for Lockdown

1) We did hear Carter say that the opening scene took place several months ago. What that means exactly, I don't know. It could have happened shortly after Anubis's ship was destroyed, or there could have been even more time between TLC and that scene. It was probably shortly after TLC that scene occurred. This would also make sense with the timeline for New Order and Stargate: Atlantis "Rising."

2) I think it was more of the help from Anubis's presense that kept him concious. I would like to know, if he was zatted a second time, would he have died since he wasn't knocked out yet?

EDIT: To avoid double posting, I'll add this:

I would have loved to see the technician played by Pierre Bernard ("The Recliner of Rage" guy) get shot up by posessed Daniel trying to escape through the stargate. For a while, that's what I thought would happen. I saw the first "Late Night" clip of the actual "Recliner of Rage" skit, but I never got to see the clip of the "Late Night" clip where Pierre gets to visit the set of SG-1. I only saw the Lowdown, so I was expecting Daniel to kill Pierre's character. That would have been slightly humerous.

Jack: What's the last thing you remember?
                              Daniel: I was getting ready for my mission to P3x-242...
                              Jack: Wait, wasn't that AFTER you shot that technician? I thought Anubis made you do that..
                              Daniel: Um... yeah, that's right! Anubis made me do that... yeah!
                              Last edited by VirtualCLD; 27 July 2004, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                                SPOILERS for Lockdown

2) I think it was more of the help from Anubis's presense that kept him concious. I would like to know, if he was zatted a second time, would he have died since he wasn't knocked out yet?

EDIT: To avoid double posting, I'll add this:
                                But Anubis wasn't in Daniel when Carter zatted him so Anubis's presense couldn't have kept him concious.

Comment

Working...
                                X