Grace (713)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beckett2001 View Post
    I've always wondered that because of the dialogue between Sam and Jack, it actually was putting into action what they were talking about. She's scared of getting hurt. In trying to get over her feelings for Jack, is she in actual fact setting up her defence mechanism to avoid getting hurt by him? Does she really believe that the feelings she's been hiding for years are simply to avoid getting hurt by someone else? Seems unlikely- people's feelings don't work that way. You can't will yourself to develop feelings for someone else to save you from taking the leap in a proper relationship. After all, when all said and done, she is talking to herself.
    The way the kiss happeed seems kind of important as well. She only thinks about it and this is after they've had the whole 'I'm a safe bet'- get over it conversation. So after thinking about what she actually feels, she's still thinking abot kissing him?
    I really like hoe's Jack's in civilian clothing. It's like she feels safer having the conversation with him out of his uniform, so that there's not such a glaring 'you can't go there' banner above his head.

Clare
    No, I don't think you can wil yourself to develop feelings for someone and it's obvious Sam does have feelings for Jack, but having feelings for someone doesn't mean that pursuing a relationship is a good idea. At some point over the years Sam could have said, "This relationship isn't going anywhere due to our jobs" or something. As romantic as the Jack/Sam notion is, how long does Sam go on like this? She has obviously been attracted to other men before, but then they usually died before we could ever find out how a relationship might turn out.

Personally, I always thought that the conversation with Jack was Sam realizing how she has let her feelings for Jack stop her from developing any kind of real romantic relationship since she knows their jobs prevent them from acting on their feelings. She was giving herself permission to move on from Jack. To go out and date, try and maybe fail, but get out there.

I love Sam so much and I think she is an awesome character. Certainly not perfect, but pretty amazing. I think her attitude about relationships is the aspect of her personality that I relate to the most. Personally, I do not bother with romantic relationships. I decided a long time ago that I'm just not cut out for them, and I know part of that comes from being afraid of being hurt. It's a powerful motivator...or unmotivator as the case may be.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by Jeril View Post
      Definitely liked Carter's interaction with the O'Neill her mind made up and the real one. Especially when she woke up and said, "Jack?" Silly Sam.
      Hehehe, loved that.

Originally posted by kiya View Post
      i am just wondering if the sence with jack wasn't there, would people react less badly with this episode.
      I was wondering that too. I can see why non-shippers or people who strongly dislike the 'ship' might not like the episode. Fortunately, I don't fall into those categories so I loved it.

Originally posted by Beckett2001 View Post
      I really like hoe's Jack's in civilian clothing. It's like she feels safer having the conversation with him out of his uniform, so that there's not such a glaring 'you can't go there' banner above his head.
      Ah, of course. I didn't understand why Jack was in normal clothing until I read your post, but that makes sense.

The little girl, I thought, was meant to be a reminder of her childhood and telling her she should have fun and not always be so focused on work. Especially when the girl is blowing the bubbles and Carter goes to explain how it all works, but the girl doesn't wanna hear and thinks its boring. So possibly meant to be a reference to her childhood.

Either way, I thought it was a good episode, but it had a strange sort of atmosphere about it.
      "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
      S/J all the way!
      Big Honkin' Resolution!
      sigpic
      John/Teyla Shipper!
      SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

Comment

I watched "Grace" for the first time today, and after reading all of the posts in this topic, I was surprised to see folks discussing Samantha's role, but not much about Jack's reaction at Stargate Command.

I was really struck by how upset Jack was over Sam's disappearance, and his continuing frustration in not finding her. Then, for it to be him at her bedside, after being in a coma for four days...

Forget what Sam thinks about Jack. It was evident to Teal'c and Daniel and Hammond that Jack was ripped up because she was "lost", and then to next to her when she woke up.

Wow.

Comment

I have three things to say about in regards to this episode - 1) Amanda Tapping rocks! 2) Sam Carter rocks! 3) This episode rocked! Yes, I loved this episode.
          "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello..."

Comment

Everyone being excited by that kiss is confusing a little to me. That kiss broke my heart. I'm just going through the Stargate series now (better late then never, huh?) and I had seen pictures of that kiss, because, um, I live in the world. So I had high hopes for it and as soon as I saw that Jack was sitting down, I thought it might be the kiss. I was kinda dissapointed because it meant that it was all in Sam's head (the last one was only rememberd by Jack, so I guess it's fair).

But how it actually played out was heartbreaking. She realizes she can never have him, so pining for him was a protection from the possibility of getting hurt, maybe even an excuse (which I don't think I can entirely agree with).

But she wants, even though it's not real, to know what it's like to kiss him. But just a second and she changes her mind. How many times had she probably imagined it? She's let the relationship 'go' (ie-not having it) in real life for seven years and now she has to let it go in her mind. That's the hardest part, letting go of the possibility.

I think it was more powerful to viewers (well, maybe just us shippers) because the possibility is what it's all about. Sam lets go of the possibility, has the power to stop writing her own fanfic about the situation and let it go. Heartbreaking. Really, really good.
            Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow.'
            mary anne radmacher

You don't know what strange means?

Comment

Originally posted by Cascade View Post
              I have three things to say about in regards to this episode - 1) Amanda Tapping rocks! 2) Sam Carter rocks! 3) This episode rocked! Yes, I loved this episode.
              So did you like this episode?
              sigpic

Comment

I think this is one of the best soul searching episodes in the show. It was important to see why Sam is the way she is, what drives her in life, and WHO is BEHIND the military side of her.

All the other characters got a chance in the early episodes (Jack in "Cold Lazarus", Daniel in "Forever in a day" and "Meridian", Teal'c in "Threshold") and I think this was long overdue.

Lots of things are left unexplained and that gives an edge to the episode because it allows free interpretation, and after all reality is that you can't always get answers to your questions.

As for the rumors that she was "girly" and "weak" seriously, she has a massive concussion hasn't slept in days and to top it all of her mind is playing games with her, OFF COURSE she's crying
                sigpic

Comment

You almost forgot Teal'c again when he was trying to avoid sleeping in Morpheus, when he had the lizard..

Comment

So is that a Furling ship or what?
                    sigpic
                    Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

I just watched this ep for the first time in years and...

If I'm not mistaken, this episode is the one and only where Teal'c calls her "Samantha". (I know it wasn't actually him but it was weird all the same)

GREAT ep, btw. I HATED it the first time I saw it but my opinion has done a 180
                      sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed this episode a lot, even though I'm not a huge Sam fan.

I don't know why they pushed the so-called Sam/Jack attraction, though. I don't really see it myself.

I liked Sam's talk with her "father".

Comment

That scene with Jacob talking about happiness. I hate that. All I got from that scene is that if you're single, you're unhappy. I really resent this sentiment.

The alien ship looked cool. Too bad they didn't show what the aliens looked like. But apparently they can understand English too.

Comment

I really doubt that it is a Furling ship as some people speculate. The Nox, Ancients and Asgard were not hostile races so why would the Furlings be

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
                              That scene with Jacob talking about happiness. I hate that. All I got from that scene is that if you're single, you're unhappy. I really resent this sentiment.

The alien ship looked cool. Too bad they didn't show what the aliens looked like. But apparently they can understand English too.
                              I don't think the point is that she's unhappy because she's single, but because she doesn't allow herself to be loved or to love. That's what she's been trying to tell herself.

about understanding English!

It's basically a sad episode. I think for the first time we see what's going on in her mind, and maybe how she sees herself. She chose certain people to represent parts of her, and what really saddens me is that she chose Jack to tell her to move on.

And the kiss WAS heartbreaking. But, hey... THEY KISSED! *sigh* *they kissed* *never mind me*

And the reaction from Jack at the SGC was just beautiful, but I wish he hadn't questioned her when she called him Jack... I'm always hoping that at the end he won't say: "Jack?" but something like "Hey."
                              sigpic
                              Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
                                I don't think the point is that she's unhappy because she's single, but because she doesn't allow herself to be loved or to love. That's what she's been trying to tell herself.
                                Well, this POV I think is better.

Comment

Working...
                                X