No announcement yet.

Memento (620)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm going to correct PDL, who in the commentary says that the camoflage uniforms being worn by the soldiers in this episode are "East German." They aren't. It's the Flecktarn camoflage pattern used by first the West German than German Bundeswehr.

The East German Nationalen Volksarmee wore two different patterns, one that I believe was called splinter in the country's earlier years, and than replaced by the easier manufacture Rain Pattern. Rain Pattern can be seen on Dr. Markov in Watergate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
      In any case, the 303's are run by Air Force crews. In this episode, that much so is evident.

It's probably why Prommie got into so much trouble. For a ship, this crew certainly didn't act like the crew of ship. In all truth, the technical advice for the show concerning starship operations was very lacking.
      TPTB is playing to the stereotypes of both the military and sci-fi because it's much more easily relatable. The bridge looks way too much like ones on Star Trek. I believe ships use blue alert instead of red now since blue is a more calming color.

Im ambivalent towards this episode. I liked the gate raising nod to the movie. What bugged me was the Tagreans themselves. They are another "Earth jr." society where everyone dresses and talks like us. They have a huge military despite having no threats. Why was the commander so worried about defense when they are the only nation on the planet and there is no rebellion?

Comment

Originally posted by Unas
        TPTB is playing to the stereotypes of both the military and sci-fi because it's much more easily relatable. The bridge looks way too much like ones on Star Trek.
        TPTB claim it's based off the bridge of a nuclear air craft carrier. We should all remember that science fiction often all copy from original sources. Even Star Trek

Comment

They have a huge military despite having no threats. Why was the commander so worried about defense when they are the only nation on the planet and there is no rebellion?
          Did they ever establish that they were the only nation on the planet? If they are, maybe they are the only nation on the planet because they invaded all the others, and are now struggling to keep them. Domestic conflicts can be just as dangerous (or more so) than international ones.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

C'mon, we knew they were going to find the Stargate. Then there was going to be some conflict. This ep was pretty predictable.

Comment

There was one bit that I could never have predicted:

Old man: "I worship the god Whatnot."
              Visitor: "Whatnot was a false god, and he's long dead."

So... does the old man laugh at the foolish visitor? get upset with the heretical visitor? challenge the mistaken visitor? rant at the iconoclastic visitor? express any surprise at all at the visitor's assertion? No! Not at all! It was pretty much -

Old Man: "Oh. Want to look at my books?"

Sheesh.

I found s8's Icon to be very cathartic.

Madeleine

Comment

TPTB is playing to the stereotypes of both the military and sci-fi because it's much more easily relatable. The bridge looks way too much like ones on Star Trek. I believe ships use blue alert instead of red now since blue is a more calming color. ...
                As I recall, Star Trek: Voyager introduced Blue Alert to signal the crew that the ship was conducting atmospheric or landing operation.

The traditional "Red" Alert is appropriate for battle conditions because the red light spectrum does not impact one's night vision— something important if you're trying to acquire a target or threat visually.

Comment

this is one of my favorite s6 episodes. one, because it has the prommie, and two, it has that awesome scene with the hyperdrive exploding right behind the ship.

'some would see nostalgia as a weakness'
                  ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

i did not finish the ep and am not shure wether this was mentioned already but: these people seem avanced(did not finish to know wether this is true)so why would sg1 not ask if they had a hyperspace generator?
                    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002
                      i did not finish the ep and am not shure wether this was mentioned already but: these people seem avanced(did not finish to know wether this is true)so why would sg1 not ask if they had a hyperspace generator?
                      I don't really think they were that advaced. How can they have a hyperspace generator, if they even dont have a space ship?
                      "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                        I don't really think they were that advaced. How can they have a hyperspace generator, if they even dont have a space ship?
                        i didnt see the full thing to know wether or not they had a ship
                        MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                        I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

IMO, the Navy should be commanding the 303, along with an Air Force contingency for piloting the Gliders and some marines for ground combat.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

This one was ok but Kelfas was annoying, he was way to over the top.
                            Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.

Comment

I too really like this episode, even tho there ARE some funky, cheesy parts (I noticed too that when Teal'c said Heru'ur is a false god, the professor didn't take offense or protest or anything). And I also thought the Prometheus scenes needed work. (They had just agreed that Ronson was in charge, but it was O'Neill who voiced the initial message to the planet. Also, I realize the Air Force doesn't have much experience in commanding large ships, so I guess that's why they do some things the way the Navy does.)

Regardless, one reason I think I liked this episode is that there wasn't a dire threat from a mortal enemy. A bit of a break from being chased and cornered by the Goa'uld or some other nefarious species. It was a good example of human relations... we met some potential new allies, O'Neill & Ronson learned a bit about diplomacy, and the Robert Foxworth character learned to take charge and follow his principles.

I just think it was a very enjoyable ep.

Comment

Since I have been coming to Gateworld I have picked up on little things like props and whatnot in the eps. In Memento, the guy sitting next to Ronson on the bridge on the right, his name badge says Peter(I think its the right name) Deluise. I know for sure the last name was right, but there are so many of them its hard to keep track.

Thanks Suekay for the sig!
                                http://www.fanfiction.net/~gatergina71

Comment

Working...
                                X