No announcement yet.

Entity (420)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode of Season 4 was absolutely awesome. I was afraid that thing wouldn't let Sam go, and she might die. Jack sure stood up to it for Sam's sake though. The plot, music, actors, and everything else was excellent.
    "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
    "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

Originally posted by ChulaksPrincess View Post
      This episode of Season 4 was absolutely awesome. I was afraid that thing wouldn't let Sam go, and she might die. Jack sure stood up to it for Sam's sake though. The plot, music, actors, and everything else was excellent.
      it's my fave episode
      sally

sigpic

Comment

One of my favorite eps. Go back and re-watch it as a character study of Jack. He begins the ep. as his regular ADHD self...he's actually PLAYING with the entity when they first realize it's in the computer ("come here often?"), but after the entity takes over Sam he becomes VERY, VERY still. Watch him in the background when they first take her into the iso room -when her heart stops and restarts and Janet calls over her shoulder to him, his reply "what? what is it?" is so fearful. Later, when Daniel talks to the entity he is unnaturally still in the background...no more of his O'Neill fidgets or commentary...just incredibly still.

The first time I watched, I didn't appreciate that it was intentional acting by RDA -I thought...what is he DOING? Has he checked out? When I re-watched it, I realized that it was on purpose, and it spoke volumes about the character's emotional state (and we know Jack don't do emotions...at least externally).

The earlier comment about Teryl's quaver when she said she didn't know how to get the entity out of Sam -I agree with. Excellent work Teryl!

-The look of horror on Jack's face when he has to zat Sam the 2nd time...knowing that 2 zats kill.
        -Entity says "this one (Sam) is important"
        Jack says "she is."
        -Jack's threat to send dozens of probes... very "helen of troy"

LOVE THIS EPISODE!!
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

"MALPs can't fly."
          -Col. Jack O'Neill

This is one of the best quotes in all of Stargate, haha.

Comment

SG-1 does the old "computer infects ones of our characters" story, which I have to say is one of my most hated plotlines in sci-fi. It never works. I totally accept that fact that sci-fi shows are supposed to push science into fictional areas, but this is going way too far. It a concept that is competely unbelievable in every way and immediately takes me out of the show.

HOWEVER, as others have mentioned here, this episode is a powerhouse for O'Neill, who runs through a wide range of emotive scenes and delivers. But he can't save the episode from being both dull and over the top (two concepts which should theoretically be mutually exclusive).

Amanda Tapping fails big time in the scenes in which she has been taken over. It's just awful, cringeworthy stuff. I don't know if it's because she didn't know what to do with it or she was directed to act that way (worth noting that this episode's director was actually the show's editor and it was his first time behind the camera). It was like somebody said to her, "Just act like Teal'c and imagine that he can't talk and is a little bit angry".

Also, quite funny to hear the artificial computer voice and realise how far along the technology has come since this episode!

Definitely not my sort of show. A saving grace is that it doesn't have the dreaded and over-used line, "The human brain is basically a computer," although it comes pretty close with Dr. Frasier's silly line, "the human brain can store terabytes of information."

RATING: 6 out of 10
            Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I rewatched this one Saturday. I really loved it its for sure one of my fave eps of that season
              sigpic

Me @ Livejournal, Youtube, Tumblr Deviant-art and my band: Alantia

Comment

I love this episode, just finished watching the re-run for the fifth time!
                But can someone help me out???
                When SG1 are sat talking to Hammond & they notice the "Entity" is still there in the backup systems, the security cam looks at O'neill & the records come up on screen.
                When Jacks military record appears, it states his name as John O'neill???!!!
                Any ideas peeps?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Plonker View Post
                  I love this episode, just finished watching the re-run for the fifth time!
                  But can someone help me out???
                  When SG1 are sat talking to Hammond & they notice the "Entity" is still there in the backup systems, the security cam looks at O'neill & the records come up on screen.
                  Any ideas peeps?
                  His full name is Jonathan J. (Jack) O'Neill he goes by Jack.
                  Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                    No, it's John J. O'Neill. For some reason he calls himself Jack, but we don't know if that's some weird version of John (like William/Billy, Richard/Dick etc) or if his second name is Jack or something similar.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      No, it's John J. O'Neill. For some reason he calls himself Jack, but we don't know if that's some weird version of John (like William/Billy, Richard/Dick etc) or if his second name is Jack or something similar.
                      Actually, over the course of the series and the movie, his name is listed in apparently official documents as both Jonathan and John. And yes, fems, Jack is a common knickname for John, like William/Billy and Richard/Rick).

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                        Actually, over the course of the series and the movie, his name is listed in apparently official documents as both Jonathan and John. And yes, fems, Jack is a common knickname for John, like William/Billy and Richard/Rick).

Seaboe
                        It's also listed on the Omnipeia that his name is Jonathan "Jack" O'Neill, on other stargate wiki's and the like he is listed as Jonathan J. O'Neill . Making an educated guess that Jack is his middle name, and likely prefers it over his given name.

The name set aside, good episode it started off slow for me, but Jack shooting Sam twice with the Zat - a very gut wrenching, emotional moment not to mention surprising when I saw it the first time around. RDA did a fantastic job at showing the emotional struggle Jack went through.
                        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

'entity' is my all-time favorite stargate episode. it's got everything i love: sam centric, s/j ship, and amazing amanda acting!
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Making an educated guess that Jack is his middle name, and likely prefers it over his given name.
                            I think it's extremely unlikely that, with a first name of John (or Jonathan) Jack would be his middle name, given its status as a nickname for John. That would be like naming your child James Jim Surname.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

It's also listed on the Omnipeia that his name is Jonathan "Jack" O'Neill, on other stargate wiki's and the like he is listed as Jonathan J. O'Neill . Making an educated guess that Jack is his middle name, and likely prefers it over his given name.
                              Prop canon in this ep shows it as John O'Neill and in the lexicon (referred to as the bible by Brad Wright) it's stated that Jack's security ID identifies him as "John J. O'Neill, born October 20, 1952".
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Plonker View Post
                                Any ideas peeps?
                                Well, Jack is a nickname for John..
                                sigpic
                                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X