No announcement yet.

Entity (420)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the name of the music that was playing when the entity said that it would not leave Samantha's body (26:52, into the episode), and by doing so would kill her? I have heard this piece throughout season 1, 2 and 3 since I started my re-watch but only just realized what it is. Is it a piece of music from Naruto? like at a sad moment when Jiraiya died? not sure but i swear Ive heard it on Naruto.
    SG-1 was the best
    SG-A was just as awesome

SG-U should CONTINUE!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
      SG-1 does the old "computer infects ones of our characters" story, which I have to say is one of my most hated plotlines in sci-fi.
      It's a tired story -- and theoretically impossible -- but I throught they did a good job with it. Sometimes I have difficulty with suspension of disbelief, other times it's easy. In this case, I was caught up in the story and was able to forget what I know of brain science.

Amanda Tapping fails big time in the scenes in which she has been taken over. It's just awful, cringeworthy stuff.
      Now that's an interesting response. I came here tonight intending to say how impressed I was by Tapping's portrayal of the entity. :-D

Also, quite funny to hear the artificial computer voice and realise how far along the technology has come since this episode!
      It perfectly complemented Tapping's acting, to create a believable alternate character. Loved it.

----------------------------------

I like this episode despite its ridiculous implausibility. What can I say? There's no accounting for taste.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
        SG-1 does the old "computer infects ones of our characters" story, which I have to say is one of my most hated plotlines in sci-fi.
        Except this was an alien entity infecting one of our characters.

I enjoy this episode,and thought Amanda Tapping did a great job of portraying the alien. RDA/Jack was really good, going between all the funny stuff when we first notice the alien in the computer system, to the strong tactics used to get the alien to leave Carter. I liked seeing the difference between the way Daniel and Jack interacted with the alien in Sam.
        sigpic

Comment

Strange statement from Hammond that he "notified" all offworld SG teams to stay put. Now without a stargate HOW does he communicate with offworld teams? The risk of course is obvious, i.e. a team could be desperate to dial back home and not be able to activate the wormhole.
          ON THE OTHER HAND, aren't there backup possibilities for any SG team who can't dial home, to dial to an alternative planet like the Tok'ra temporarily? Haven't such arrangements ever been made?!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
            Strange statement from Hammond that he "notified" all offworld SG teams to stay put. Now without a stargate HOW does he communicate with offworld teams? The risk of course is obvious, i.e. a team could be desperate to dial back home and not be able to activate the wormhole.
            ON THE OTHER HAND, aren't there backup possibilities for any SG team who can't dial home, to dial to an alternative planet like the Tok'ra temporarily? Haven't such arrangements ever been made?!
            the Alpha Site
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Please remind me again what is meant by the "Alpha Site"??
              And I think I missed why the entity decided to die. And why it put Sam into the computer system instead of just allowing her to control her body again.

Comment

Please remind me again what is meant by the "Alpha Site"??
                And I think I missed why the entity decided to die. And why it put Sam into the computer system instead of just allowing her to control her body again.
                The first Alpha Site was P3X-984 and is basically an off-world base established by the SGC. The concept was first introduced in There But For the Grace of God where the alternate reality Daniel had entered was evacuating their people to the Beta Site. When he came back to his own (our) reality he and the rest of SG-1 went on a mission to destroy Apophis' fleet heading for Earth and people were being evacuated from the SGC to the Alpha Site. When Apophis' ship was destroyed Daniel managed to reach the onboard Stargate and, since he couldn't dial Earth, recalled the Beta Site coordinates from his experience in the alternate reality and hoped they were similar to the Alpha Site of his own reality - he was correct.

There's more about the Alpha Site in

Spoiler:
                Allegiance, Death Knell, Covenant, Endgame and Gemini.

The Entity decided to die because it couldn't survive outside of Sam's brain unless it went into the base's computers, which the SGC wouldn't allow and knew if it didn't leave Sam the SGC would attack (or so Jack claimed) its homeplanet and kill others. In short; the Entity sacrificed itself to protect its kind from an attack.

I don't recall the details, but I assume it had suppressed Sam so it could grow and therefore just leaving the body wouldn't be enough to allow Sam full control. Or maybe it had exchanged places with Sam from the beginning but we just didn't know she was in the computers all the time (and it took her a while to figure out how to communicate).
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

If the Alpha site exists in general, then why couldn't all of the offworld teams have dialed onto that site or some other friendly planet until they could get back home? In fact, why couldn't this have been a general procedure?

Comment

If the Alpha site exists in general, then why couldn't all of the offworld teams have dialed onto that site or some other friendly planet until they could get back home? In fact, why couldn't this have been a general procedure?
                    How do you know it isn't?

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

The Alpha site has existed in some form or another since Season 1. That's where people were being sent in "Within the Serpent's Grasp"/"Serpent's Lair" when no one knew whether Apophis' ships were going to make it to earth and attack, or whether SG1 would succeed in stopping them.

So there are actually a few times when SG members who are offworld could have gated there when they couldn't gate to earth. Jack, Sam and Teal'c could have easily gated there at the end of "Nemesis" instead of whatever planet it was that Teal'c dialed and they got stuck on for over a week.

And the scientists in "Fail Safe" were directed to gate to the Alpha Site when they finished working on the damaged scoutship. And people were again being sent from the SGC in that episode to the Alpha Site.

The writers apparently forgot about the alpha site unless it was convenient to their story.

Comment

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. Well the planet 'looked' cool...pity the MALP had to go beserk.

2. The ep 'looked' light...pity Sam had to get posessed.

3. Took about 'how the hell are they going to get out of this?'.

4. Transferring a consciousness into a human body...hmmm...I've let them claim artistic license.

Solid ep.
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Weel no this episode wasn't far-fetched at all. You see, the radio waves emitted by a MALP had a narcotic effect on the planet's indigenous species of ASCII-based life forms. That's what the entity meant by saying the malp destroyed it's people. Well you've heard of a virus that can cause computer systems to go haywire. Well, radio waves apparently act on this species as digital opium. Whole planet became like one big robo orgy. So the entity was sent to exact a measure of revenge - an eye for an eye - you made our computers act human, we're gonna make your humans act like computers. They planned to invade every human body and turn them into highly inefficient vehicles for self-preservation. The entity was sent on this mission because somehow it had immunity to the narcotic radio waves and therefore was able to piggyback on the malp signals. Anyway, Sam back to using only 10% of her brain, and all's well that must end before the season finale story arc.
                          Grade: ASCII-nine

Comment

Always a nice creepy idea of machine intelligences getting ideas above their circuitry!

From HAL to Skynet, taking control away from the humans is a staple of Sci Fi for the inherent fear factor.

This isn't one of Stargate's best takes on a well worn theme, they seem to do better with time travel and alternate realities, but absorbing enough due to the effect on everyone at the SGC on a personal level with the possible loss of Sam.

Sam being irretrievably lost to all intents and purposes, and having the computer generated voice to communicate creeped me out when I first saw this episode. Her blank expression was well done to compliment the machine generated voice of the entity that now controlled her body.

Jack's ultimatum to the entity was a great one, it was a clear no nonsense concept that the entity had no problem understanding! Self sacrifice to save its own world, ironically it's what Jack would do in that situation.

Comment

I thought it was one of the low points of Season 4.

The commentary (more entertaining than the actual episode):
                              • This episode was shot in HD (as an experiment, SG-1 wouldn't permanently move to HD until the beginning of the 8th Season).
                              • The director is an editor on the show.
                              • Discussed was how the movement of the camera made it more of a character.

I have now listened to all the commentaries from Season 4.

Tomorrow, the first part of the 4th season finale, and the continuation of an episode from Season 1.
                              sigpic

Comment

My LiveJournal post

I love this episode. I wonder how weird it feels to be in a computer like Sam was near the end...
                                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Working...
                                X