No announcement yet.

Entity (420)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was pretty far fetched, but I was willing to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      sam was sent into the computer mainframe because the entity did it.

when colonel o'neill told the entity that it was going to send more malps to it's planet if it didn't release sam, it made the decision right then to do something. it couldn't return to the mainframe itself because it had outgrown it. it wanted to save its own entity/life forms more than it wanted to save itself.

when jack corned it in the hallway, entity decided what to do. it decided to send sam's mind/soul into the computer mainframe, and then sacrifice itself so jack wouldn't make his threats real. if it had sacrificed sam too, jack might have been so mad that he would have sent those malps anyways. in doing what it did, it saved sam, and it's own life forms 'because' it saved sam.

i haven't watched the ep in a while, but it's one of my top five eps and i think i'm remembering it right.

amanda was AWESOME!!

sally
      I have another thought:

Since the entity said their world was poisoned by the MALP, most of them were probably been killed then and it could be the only survivor by making its way through to Earth. When it was confronted by Jack, it might be pissed and decided to kill itself and transferred Sam's mind to the 'nest' which it knew Jack was so determined to destroy as a revenge. Sam would very likely be killed if it wasn't Daniel (and would 'definitely' be killed if only Jack was there!).

Just a thought.
      sigpic
      Sign by me

Comment

Sam's facial expressions where perfect when the entity was inside her imo, great episode

ENTITY VS INTRUDER, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Butlersgate View Post
          Sam's facial expressions where perfect when the entity was inside her imo, great episode
          I agree, I thought AT did a great job playing the entity. I remember reading somewhere that the director let AT chose how to play the entity to an extent. If so, I think she made some good choices, the hard stares and lack of blinking, the way she cocked her head, etc.

Some other thoughts for the Challenge thread:

I liked the idea of something as seemingly innocuous as the MALP probe posing such a threat to the Entity's world. It highlights an interesting aspect of traveling through the Stargate, that the SGC often have no idea what they're getting into when they go through the gate, where something as harmless as a probe could cause such destruction to an alien civilization.

I liked the short clips of the Entity learning about the SGC and setting up the trap for Sam. It examines the medical records and likely learned about humans' brain capacity, it watches Sam and Daniel examining the footage and notes Sam using the keyboard. From their files it probably reasoned that SG-1 would be very reluctant to kill any of their teammates, but with Sam it may have seen her importance in scientific matters and thought that by possessing her it would also be able to neutralize the biggest threat to its survival, especially since it almost died from the system reset.

I also liked the differences between Sam and Daniel's willingness to talk to the entity verses Jack and Teal'c's indifference or desire to destroy it. I see neither side as being entirely wrong or right, but understandable given each character's individual motivations and training. Given the damage done by the entity it was understandable for Jack and Teal'c to wary of it, but Daniel and Sam's scientific training would lead them to wanting to understand this new lifeform/technology first. Plus, I think they both made a good point about SG-1 often being in similar situations as the entity, though the similarities end when the Entity stated its goal was to destroy them.

I liked seeing Daniel doing what he does so well, figuring out another civilization by talking to them and trying to get them to do the 'right' thing as he sees it. Though given the Entity's dismissal of the possibility of leaving Sam up 'till now and its primary concern being self-preservation, I can understand Jack stepping in with direct threats to get the Entity to leave Sam, which was backed up by Hammond.

I thought the scene where Jack has to zat Sam twice was well done, good direction and great acting by both RDA and AT, especially the absolute fury she was able to convey as the Entity after the first zat blast. I kinda have to handwave Sam's consciousness getting from the corridor to the nest and then back into her body, but then if SG-1 can get their consciousnesses copied into robot copies, perhaps it's not so crazy.

Oh, and kudos to Teryl Rothery as well for a fantastic job in this episode. I especially liked the quiver in her voice when she admits she doesn't know how to get the Entity out of Sam, and how she's slumped against the elevator wall when going to tell Jack about Sam's living will. I also really liked the opening exchange between Jack, Teal'c, and Daniel about Teal'c being tense, as well as the probe exchange in the briefing room, very funny.

Overall, I thought it was interesting that in this episode it was the military perspective and strategy that seemed to be result in the best outcome, while other episodes, like Scorched Earth, have had the scientific/diplomatic perspective resulting in the better outcome. I think it shows a nice balance in Stargate storytelling, that both military and scientific strategies can be effectively utilized depending on the situation and that neither one is right or wrong all the time.

sigpic

Comment

Excellent thoughts, Evenstar!
            I kinda have to handwave Sam's consciousness getting from the corridor to the nest and then back into her body, but then if SG-1 can get their consciousnesses copied into robot copies, perhaps it's not so crazy.
            Sometimes it's difficult to decide what is, and isn't, plausible in Stargate, isn't it?
            Last edited by amconway; 07 March 2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              Sometimes it's difficult to decide what is, and isn't, plausible in Stargate, isn't it?
              Hehe, yeah. While it made sense to me for the Entity to be able to enter Sam and suppress her consciousness within her body, I was a bit thrown when they had her consciousness leave her body. But the rest of the episode rocked so I could easily overlook it.

Then I saw Tin Man, Holiday, and New Order and realized that transferring peoples' consciousnesses into different things was possible in the Stargate universe, so it doesn't bother me any more in this episode.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                Oh, and kudos to Teryl Rothery as well for a fantastic job in this episode. I especially liked the quiver in her voice when she admits she doesn't know how to get the Entity out of Sam, and how she's slumped against the elevator wall when going to tell Jack about Sam's living will.
                Great post overall, but I'm just quoting this piece. You're so right on this.
                And of course when she tells Jack "it's time to let her go."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                  I really liked the concept behind this episode, especially how it shows that after working together for so long, the team has really become a family, in their relentless care for Carter. The part where Jack shoots her though... oh, man, that was frighteningly good.
                  yes the family atmosphere is a really nice touch to the series. Amanda tapping was really good in this episode.
                  Some say that he has only one ear.
                  And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                  All we know is he's called
                  sigpic

Comment

Another good episode. The whole idea of the "entity" invading the computers and then building a "nest" reminds me a little of a movie called Virus (not really a great film but the ideas in it are similar).

Comment

Originally posted by vzzzzzbx View Post
                      Another good episode. The whole idea of the "entity" invading the computers and then building a "nest" reminds me a little of a movie called Virus (not really a great film but the ideas in it are similar).
                      i'm sure i've said this somewhere in this thread , but i thought amanda was outstanding in this ep. once the entity had taken her over, amanda just blew me away with how much she said by facial expressions alone. i was in awe.

*has fangirl moment*
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

loved the expression AT had when playing Ms. Electro, little nods with the head an the blank stare...

But as a Daniel fan, I feel they never rly gave Daniel a chance to communicate with the "thing", sure he was allowed, but Jack was in the room also, and pretty much immediately made it clear they would destroy this poor thing's entire civilization if it does not leave Sam. Daniel was not left with anything to build upon rly, I know time was a big issue, there was only so much storage in Sam's brain, But Daniel should have been given a fair chance to do what he is best at, connecting with new lifeforms.
                        --Signature is Currently Undergoing Invisibility Maintenance, Please Check Back Later or Leave a Message after The Beep--

*Beep*

Comment

I love that Walter got zapped but Siler was just fine.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            i'm sure i've said this somewhere in this thread , but i thought amanda was outstanding in this ep. once the entity had taken her over, amanda just blew me away with how much she said by facial expressions alone. i was in awe.

*has fangirl moment*
                            haha agreed. *screams* Oh sorry i had a weird moment there, thinking about this awesome ep.
                            sigpic
                            My tumblr

Comment

Love the tense between Sam and Jack in this ep
                              The great ones dare to believe in the unbelievable...
                              sigpic

Comment

Amanda was great in this ep. What a zombie the entity made of her! The data transfer from the computer back to Sam should have taken longer, though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X