No announcement yet.

Absolute Power (417)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would disagree. Skarra had those memories and didn't change negatively after the symbiote was removed. Unless he committed those memories I don't see it changing him.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I would disagree. Skarra had those memories and didn't change negatively after the symbiote was removed. Unless he committed those memories I don't see it changing him.
      Skaara only had the genetic memory of Klorel, but Shifu was harsesis, so he would have passed on all the knowledge of the Goa'uld to Daniel rather than just genetic memory of a Goa'uld and the Queen that bore him (possibly also the one who fathered the prim'ta, but the whole Goa'uld reproductive system is kinda vague considering their spawning and supposed genetic memory).
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        "Change the memories, change the person" is a sound principle, but a television series may inconsistently apply it according to the varying requirements of the stories being told.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
          "Change the memories, change the person" is a sound principle, but a television series may inconsistently apply it according to the varying requirements of the stories being told.
          That can really be said about many shows. I just don't like the changing a character to suit the plot which is why I voiced my compliant in this episode. It didn't make sense to change Daniel that much just because he has Goa'uld memories. Its not like he committed the actions
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I always saw it as a warning to Daniel at how dangerous and seductive power can be for even the most balanced person.

Comment

I liked this episode only because it truly starts Daniel’s continued distain and dislike towards his fellow SG-1’ers. I kind of feel it starts with “Shades of Grey,” although Jack apologizes and says the house was bugged I get the feeling Daniel doesn’t get over it. Continues to build in “The Other Side,” sure Jack apologizes but the damage was done, and just goes from there. By the time he ascends I truly get the feeling he was over the “ignorance” of his team mates / SGC and by that time it’s hard to call Jack a “friend.” He states something along the lines, “I need to change how I do things” or something like that in this episode. At the end of Menace (S -5) that is true malice towards Jack, just not momentary emotion. From this episode on I find Daniel’s attitude tiring in some episodes.

Comment

I thought about this, after just re-watching this episode; I don't know for sure yet, but it seems that he did not give him the memories, but a glimpse of what would happen if he did give him the memories. Would that not significantly shorten the show if Daniel actually had the knowledge and memories to beat the antagonist?
                I think the boy was just expanding on the idea that only most of the time "the music plays the musician". At least he got his point across. (that receiving actual memories would result in the accompaniment of emotions as well ((like Daniel warned at the beginning))..and that the assents gave him the "ability to forget so he could lead a normal life."; Like humans are suppose to evolve as, and according to Teal'c "Perhaps that is why Gould are evil". Because they retain this knowledge conscientiously. If you were Hilter's child, then you would inherit his emotions as well. That explains the Tocra; Not everyone is evil. )
                It would be like giving knowledge to cavemen 1,000,000 years ago maybe. The Gou'ld should still be in that stupid pond on PX-blah blah blha evolving. .. They might have been genetically altered by an overly ambitious species in the past... HAHA

Comment

this was just Shifu showing Daniel what might happen, and therefore there doesn't have to be any internal consistency in the way that he behaves in this ep compared to other eps.

But I don't actually like this ep at all it just seems so - contrived.
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Shifu is a cute kid. And Daniel becomes a powerhungry maniac... aka a Goa'uld without the actual snake in the head.

With great power comes great responsibility -- something Daniel ignored entirely. Good thing he learned his lesson in the end.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It wasn't Daniel. It was a dream. I sometimes have trouble Daniel going that power mad, but I admitt its realastic some human would go that corrupt
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

But the real Daniel still dreamed about it, so it still was his subconscious mind.

Comment

Ah, but was he dreaming, or was it a virtual reality controlled by Shifu? IOW, was that really Daniel, or was it an artificial version?

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

He was having rapid eye movement which indicates dreaming.

Comment

but the dream was sent by Shifu - that much is clear from what he said about dreams being a teaching tool.
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

And thus we conclude... it was a dream.

Comment

Working...
                                X