No announcement yet.

Scorched Earth (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would they take it? Given their sensitivity to UV, gate travel is dangerous for them. Having a stargate would just mean it would be easier for the goa'uld and other enemies to reach them.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others in season 4. I don't know why - It was not the actors fault, they did great.
      Maybe it feels wrong because it didn't seem plausible, the way the writers let would let Jack blow up an entire civilisation (in stasis), without considering other solutions. And at the same time Lotan could have just put the terraforming on hold, but that would have ruined the plot i guess.

I see it has been discussed in depth, so I will leave it at that. And just say that overall season 4 had a few episodes not really living up to the standard - I guess it is only logical, that after 4 seasons, the writers were running out of luck, and made more mistakes?

Comment

IMO, there are fewer episodes that miss in season four than in any of the other nine seasons, but YMMV.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
          I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others in season 4. I don't know why - It was not the actors fault, they did great.
          Maybe it feels wrong because it didn't seem plausible, the way the writers let would let Jack blow up an entire civilisation (in stasis), without considering other solutions. And at the same time Lotan could have just put the terraforming on hold, but that would have ruined the plot i guess.

I see it has been discussed in depth, so I will leave it at that. And just say that overall season 4 had a few episodes not really living up to the standard - I guess it is only logical, that after 4 seasons, the writers were running out of luck, and made more mistakes?
          Perhaps the programming to put the terraforming on hold if modified would have not allowed for a restart?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Perhaps the programming to put the terraforming on hold if modified would have not allowed for a restart?
            Perhaps - I thought about it, and realized you are probably right - Thanks

Comment

Ah how I love this ep, seriously good stuff.
              I love how Jack does that making a decision very quickly thing and how Daniel does his trying to find a solution thing.
              And in the end how the Enkarans took Lotar to be one of them, was very sweet.

But this is exactly the kind of thing that Stargate does so well, takes a problem and gives it a new, Stargatey spin.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

It always creeped me out Clanger how Jack automatically decides the Enkarians lives are more important than the Gadmer. It just seems wrong to me.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

it's one everyone can understand I think. He knows the Enkarans personally, but the Gadmeer are a load of freeze dried aliens.

sigpic

Comment

I understand why Jack did it. It just seemed ethically wrong
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

that was kind of the point of the ep

sigpic

Comment

The point I always though was a no win. Someone has to die. And I found it troubling that the leader never considered the Gadmer
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          The point I always though was a no win. Someone has to die. And I found it troubling that the leader never considered the Gadmer
                          But they were more or less dead, whereas the Enkarans were very much alive. Not to mention how selfish the Gadmeer were; not only did they put themselves in stasis (after being overpowered by some other race) to conquer someone else's planet, but they also had their ship programmed to destroy all living organisms on said planet to accommodate for their own needs (which they didn't even really have, since they were in stasis and had to be revived in order to live).
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

but only plant organisms - they were very careful to pick an unoccupied planet.

Plus once they found out about the Enkarans they not only found a suitable planet for them, they took them home before continuing to terraform the planet. I thought they were pretty cool.

sigpic

Comment

It was my understanding the Gadmer would not kill sentient life. Given how they rejected other planets that had a sentient species. I have heard the arguement of the Gadmer being basically dead and it seems like a self-centered stance of our version of life is more important than yours
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

So, the Gatmeer build an arc, loaded up their knowledge and found a new planet. Too bad, it also happens to be the planet Command chose to relocate the Enkarans to.

I forgot how it ended. I though the Gatmeer ship was going to be destroyed. But it didn't, better ending where the Gatmeer help the Enkarans, and still get to keep their planet for terraforming.

Interesting team interactions though - O'Neill ordering Carter to create the bomb. Obviously something Carter isn't too happy about. Daniel getting in his way, over and over again.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X