Scorched Earth (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
    The Gadmeer were effectively on life support. Now I'm as anti-euthasia as you can get but I wouldn't expect a fully-functioning individual to give up their life in favour of someone on life support. Jack saw the Enkarans as friends and he was respecting his friends' wishes "make sure we're able to stay on this planet for we have nowhere else to go".
    That example doesn't work because life support or euthanisa implies thier is no hope for their species which just seems inaccurate given this scenario and reason for terraforming said planet. A process mind that started before the Enkarian arrived on the planet with SG1. As for Jack its dangerous to let your emotions cloud reason when it comes to making moral choices. That just leads to bias.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Given my arguing with people the past week about how Jack's decision you would think I did not like this episode Nothing could be farther from the truth. The fact that it presents such a moral arguement from me and is presented so well as Daniel and Jack disagree about what is right is why I love this episode so much. Its a no win situation and while I am disturbed about how easily Jack sides with the Enkarians without considering the Gadmer's point of view it is still an interesting dilema to wage out in the first place as no one is really the villian. Both species just want to live. The one compliant how we get a nice and easy solution of the Gadmer knowing the original home world of the Enkarians. But maybe I just watch too much dark TV
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        That example doesn't work because life support or euthanisa implies thier is no hope for their species which just seems inaccurate given this scenario and reason for terraforming said planet. A process mind that started before the Enkarian arrived on the planet with SG1. As for Jack its dangerous to let your emotions cloud reason when it comes to making moral choices. That just leads to bias.
        Maybe it does and it's something I've learned to try and avoid when talking about this stuff but I also know that when the arguments come close to home, you are more likely to get emotional(humans have emotions - deal with it!). As I said in my last post, Jack saw the Enkarans as friends, therefore I can live with his emotions coming into play and once again, the Gadmeer were in suspended animation and while they may have been technologically advanced...so were the Eurondans! There were too many things about the Gadmeer that we didn't know or only had Lotan's word for.

SG1 got lucky in that Daniel was able to fix up a solution that worked for both races but I could have lived with the Gadmeer getting toasted.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

That is not really the issue. I have the problem with letting those emotions cloud his judgement and not even consider the Gadmer. Because the Enkarians were he friends he automatically decidied their life had priority. That is wrong on all levels.
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I'd have made the same decision. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself had I done nothing while my friends' lives were being threatened.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

That is not the point. Ultimately a decision had to be made as both societies couldn't live. I have issues with the ease of chosing the Enkarians without even considering the Gadmer. They have a right to live
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Jack faced with another tough decision. Goes from being the lead hero that has a baby to be named after him, to having to draw upon limited and explosive resources to save members of a race he's feeling personally responsible for. His passion - manifested especially in anger toward Daniel (Tell me, TELL ME, you are NOT on that ship? No wonder Daniel was backing away from him when he and Lotan materialized in the village. Cute! Not as cute as Daniel is in this ep...but I digress!) - Jack's passion is shown as a significant part of his character.

Was this the first reactor turned into a bomb? I think there are naquadah enhanced bombs affixed to the X301 in Tangent, but I can't recall whether there were bombs made out of the stuff prior to this ep.

The storage facility on the Gadmere ship was strangely reminicent of Euronda, and its similar issues. Here, though, the Gadmere species purposely appear quite violent, yet are described as peaceful. Excellent juxtapositioning by the writers!

I think what I read into the look Jack gives Daniel at the end epitomizes the ep: Wanna kill him, while simultaneously so amazed by him.

Part of what makes the show so great.

Comment

That is not the point. Ultimately a decision had to be made as both societies couldn't live. I have issues with the ease of chosing the Enkarians without even considering the Gadmer. They have a right to live
                  In theory yes but this is an example of SG1's reality being imperfect. Jack was effectively faced with the question "which race do I save?" Given that he felt honour-bound to protect the Enkarens...
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by dtheories View Post
                    Was this the first reactor turned into a bomb? I think there are naquadah enhanced bombs affixed to the X301 in Tangent
                    No, plain "slammer missiles" were attached to the X301.

Nevermind.

Seaboe
                    Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 28 November 2011, 10:36 AM.
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

In theory yes but this is an example of SG1's reality being imperfect. Jack was effectively faced with the question "which race do I save?" Given that he felt honour-bound to protect the Enkarens...
                      That still completely ignores he gave 0 consideration to other race.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

He gave 0 consideration to the Gadmeer because the only thing on his mind was saving the Enkarens.
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

He gave 0 consideration to the Gadmeer because the only thing on his mind was saving the Enkarens.
                          Matt, are you really arguing over Jelgate's right to object to the fact that Jack failed to consider the Gadmeer? Because that's what he's been saying all along. He understands why Jack made the decision he did. He just doesn't like that the writers failed to have Jack even consider the Gadmeer.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

And that is just wrong on so many ethical levels. To automatically choose one species without considering the life of the other
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

But you could argue that for all intents and purposes the Gadmeer were already dead/extinct. You have one race, the Enkarans that they know vs an automated ship with biological samples. A biological sample is not an entity in itself and therefore it makes sense to side with the actual people who are still alive.

Just now I realized that the Gadmeer are kind of similar to

Spoiler:
                              the Asgard once they've blown themselves up and handed their knowledge over to the SGC in the end. We saw Sam working with the 'Asgard' as a hologram which makes me wonder if the core includes all the Asgard's consciousnesses and if it would be possible, in the future, to give them new bodies.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

And that is just wrong on so many ethical levels. To automatically choose one species without considering the life of the other
                                Frack this, let's just agree to disagree.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X