The Other Side (402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack: What's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Jack: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Love that line.

Great episode. From a military standpoint, Jack screwed up not allowing Alar to come to Earth. Oh, I know Alar was a racist pig. Doesn't mean Earth couldn't benefit from his world's technology. After all, he would never have been truly trusted, nor allowed to roam freely on Earth. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack's personnel file received another reprimand.
    Last edited by Brother Freyr; 01 November 2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Good episode. I liked Rene in this one.
      It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
      -Dexter-

Comment

This episode is definitely one of the stand out ones of the whole series.

Starts with such a hopeful tone in that Earth has finally found an advanced civilisation willing to share technology. Then it descends slowly into a sickening distasteful truth, resulting in Jack's own distasteful act at the end with closing the Iris on Alar. The way this is done through the interaction between Jack and Daniel is brilliantly done.

'Odo' is great in this!! As a DS9 fan it was great to see him in another show I liked, in an episode that had much of the feel of the darker tones of DS9.

Comment

I did not realize it was Alar hitting the iris until the folks in the commentary mentioned it. Good look on Jack's face.
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

A filler episode of SG-1.

So SG-1 got contacted by world (technically a country) that eventually turned out to be racist. And Odo was the leader of that racist country

Stuff from the commentary:
            • They wanted to a live feed between Odo and the SGC. But didn't because they couldn't get the information off the screen via the camera. Eventually they found out how, though the camera's remote control, but they (Peter and James) said that the result was better off.
            • Brad wanted the barrel roll to get closer the the ship.

Tomorrow, a "Sexy Female alien" appears, and most of SG-1 ignore their orders and go fast.
            sigpic

Comment

My LiveJournal post
              Another Rene fan here. (Well, how can you not be?)
              I recently got the Stargate book 'Alliances' and I just now learned that it directly follows on from this episode. I was going to wait till I'd finished another book I'm in the middle of, but now I'm thinking of reading it now.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              It always bothered me we never saw any come back or ramifications for what jack did..
              Maybe you should read it too, apparently, it deals with the concequences of what Jack does in this ep. I can't give a proper recommendation or anything, having not read it yet, but maybe just a suggestion.
              (The book also has Jacob in it - bonus! )
              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. At first the ep seemed pretty straightforward, help people out, get new tech.

2. I'd watched enough DS9 to know of Odo but didn't recognise the actor.

3. Rewatching this, I ultimately I think Jack acted the way he did largely out the fact that the Eurondans basically pulled a fast one on SG1, particularly him.

4. Now if the Breeders had infiltrated the base and harmed the Eurondans new allies...it would have gotten very interesting.

4. Forgot Teal'c's look when he arm wrestled that guy.

5. "Close the iris" Never has Jack seemed more cold. Not going to mourn Alar though.

Very good ep.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                  For what Jack did? Jack told him not to follow. Rene's character knew about the iris. While Jack knew his advice would be ignored, he did what he should've by giving it.

Seaboe
                  For us losing out on their tech.

Comment

Pretty good ep. We were so close to getting some great technology. Pity the Eurondans had to be all racist.

Alar had what was coming to him.
                    sigpic

Comment

This episode revolves around the moral issues. It’s not just black and white. It seems like the SGC has taken the attitude that we need the technology, at any cost—almost like “we are the only planet of consequence”, like Teal’c’s line in the third season episode “Point of View”—“Our reality is the only reality of consequence”.

Why did Jack take the Eurondans’s perspective without knowing anything about the other side? He’s usually the skeptical one. No disrespect intended, IMHO, but could one factor be that the Eurondans look like the majority of SGC members ? The main characters, with the exception of Teal’c, are Anglo.

The first “meal” scene has some interesting interactions—why doesn’t Teal’c share in the toast—does his exercise really indicate his misgivings about Alar? Why is Jack so willing to give away the farm?

Daniel’s statements about the moral implications of the treaty can be justified since Jack didn’t talk to the other team members about this decision—this was Daniel’s first change to share his views, and he deeply cares about the moral aspects of any decision. Jack is more bull-headed than normal, and doesn’t want to hear Daniel. In his impatience, he really shuts Daniel down, when he barks “Shut up” at Daniel. Daniel is hurt by this order, and pulls in on himself, as displayed in his body language.

At the end Jack warns Alar to not follow them, but he doesn’t listen. When he does, and “splats” on the iris, what is Jack thinking? Is it some kind of revenge, or is it the moral equivalent of killing Hitler?

There are other factors in this episode that parallel Nazi Germany: racial purity, mass murder, and viewing the enemy as less than human.

The decisions that Jack made are similar to the USA and the other allied forces made—the disregard for the lives of civilians, as seen in the firebombing of Dresden, and the atomic bombs in Japan. There were good people on both sides, and Jack doesn’t think about the innocent individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Nut_ty View Post
                        The first “meal” scene has some interesting interactions—why doesn’t Teal’c share in the toast—does his exercise really indicate his misgivings about Alar?
                        Teal'c doesn't drink alcohol.

Comment

As soon as the higher ups were aware of what the Eurondans were offering, I'm sure Jack got his orders to seal the deal and that's why he was so stubborn about everything. Up until the moment his conscience decided to step up.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate SG1 View Post
                            Also, Jack seemed to have been motivated by his own rage over being deceived, or maybe self guilt or doubt (after) seeing things clearly.
                            That's how I saw this as well. Daniel is only pointing out that there are questions - in a slightly aggressive way - but Jack remains angry with himself after shooting down the 'enemy' pilot and overreacts.
                            Euronda's
                            On first stepping through the 'gate, Jack is met by Alar and pronounced 'savior.' And while his face shows discomfort at the idea, it's apparent he's swept away by all the toys on display and the prospect of being Earth and Euronda's hero. Daniel's alarmed that Jack's willing to compromise the principals he knows his friend is guided by, so when he recognizes the mission is not primarily humanitarian, and the war is seriously on above ground, Daniel's passion ratchets up a hundred fold. Both men end up behaving as if it's only the two of them in the conversation.

This is one of my all time fav eps. I even used it as a basis for an anthopology paper! SO much to study!

Hammond is also so good at communicating bad news in a genuine but uncompromising and unthreatening way. (Early scene explaining how the Erondan's hadn't made it through the Iris.) Don Davis really imparts to us the best that is a leader in his portrayal of the General.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              As soon as the higher ups were aware of what the Eurondans were offering, I'm sure Jack got his orders to seal the deal and that's why he was so stubborn about everything. Up until the moment his conscience decided to step up.
                              Agreed! even without all the other team drama going on...it is an excellent character study of Jack.

Originally posted by dtheories View Post
                              That's how I saw this as well. Daniel is only pointing out that there are questions - in a slightly aggressive way - but Jack remains angry with himself after shooting down the 'enemy' pilot and overreacts.
                              Euronda's
                              On first stepping through the 'gate, Jack is met by Alar and pronounced 'savior.' And while his face shows discomfort at the idea, it's apparent he's swept away by all the toys on display and the prospect of being Earth and Euronda's hero. Daniel's alarmed that Jack's willing to compromise the principals he knows his friend is guided by, so when he recognizes the mission is not primarily humanitarian, and the war is seriously on above ground, Daniel's passion ratchets up a hundred fold. Both men end up behaving as if it's only the two of them in the conversation.

This is one of my all time fav eps. I even used it as a basis for an anthopology paper! SO much to study!

Hammond is also so good at communicating bad news in a genuine but uncompromising and unthreatening way. (Early scene explaining how the Erondan's hadn't made it through the Iris.) Don Davis really imparts to us the best that is a leader in his portrayal of the General.
                              Love everything you say. I agree, this is one of my all time fav episodes too! I never tire of watching it. There is a lot of subtlety amongst all the passion and tension. A great team character study piece. It is always interesting to see them at odds with one another when usually you can count on them all being on the same page. I think it is a good episode to show some of the ramifications of Kinsey and the governmental pressures that are always being put on Hammond, and by turn, the team. It doesn't always get so much of a focus on how desperately they need to get tech. I don't know...it is just an interesting episode.
                              Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Jack is such a b*stard in this episide!
                                sigpic
                                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X